Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

350z Headlight Housing question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 07:01 PM
Ideapimp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z Headlight Housing question

I'm replacing my 05's HID headlights because, well, they're pretty scratched up. The thing is, I have HIDs, obviously, and I've found a gentleman on here who has a set of non-HID headlights from an 04 that are in perfect shape.

Not that I don't trust him, he's been very nice, but I want to make sure that when he says the housing is the exact same, all I have to do is yank the bulbs and ballasts from mine and insert them into the non-HID housing he's not mistaken.

Anyone care to weigh-in?
Old 11-08-2006, 11:24 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Correct, you should be able to remove your HID equipment from yours and reinstall on the new ones you purchase.

How did yours get scratched up?
Old 11-09-2006, 06:10 AM
Ideapimp

Who the hell knows. I bought the car used. just 4K miles on it, but it looks like the front clip was replaced in a wreck. I'm guessing whatever car hit it, or whatever it hit scratched up one of the headlights and the otherone has some "overspray" on it from when they put the clearcoat on.

Kinda sucks, but the INGS+1 N-spec kit is on it's way so it doesn't really matter. The whole front clip will be replaced and now the headlights too. Woohoo!
Old 11-09-2006, 06:35 AM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it's just a bunch of light scratches, I would just try and polish them out. I have bunch of light scratches on my headlights from driving 100 miles a day on a highway that is always going through construction (read tons of loose gravel)
Old 11-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Ideapimp

No, your suggestion is appreciated, but trust me. I'm at the point where this HAS to be replaced. There are deep, deep gouges in these suckers.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:34 AM
jondimellow

i thought the non hids have different reflector mirror things..... or are you changing that too?
Old 11-09-2006, 08:48 AM
Ideapimp

Originally Posted by jondimellow
i thought the non hids have different reflector mirror things..... or are you changing that too?
Could someone answer this intelligently? I have no idea. That's why I'm asking.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:16 AM
NaNa-Papa-J

I have an 03. The 03-05 Z's have projector/reflector combinations. The 06's on have true projector HID's (as you know). The difference in the housing is the projector module itself. Look closely at the projector housing on an 03-05 and you will notice that the top and bottom of the housing is open...thus allowing the Xenon light to hit the surrounding reflector and increase the lighting effect. The 06's projector housings do not have this opening, I guess due to the fact that the HID is able to be "projected" foward without reflectors without losing light output. You will probably notice a "dimming" effect by using standard (Xenon/Halogen) bulbs in your 06 housing. But if it's all temporary, then you might find it acceptable.

Other's correct me if I'm wrong or off a little, but I'm pretty sure I'm right. Best of luck on the new body kit!! Make sure to post up some pics!
Old 11-09-2006, 10:00 AM
Ideapimp

Ok, good description of the differences between the 03-05 and the 06.

Here's the problem. We're not discussing that.

I need to know if there is a difference in the housing between an 03-05 NON HID and an 03-05 HID. I have HID, want to keep HID, but just need a new housing. Can I replace the HID housing with a non HID housing and just move the bulbs and ballasts over from my HID housing?
Old 11-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Super Avan Z33

Originally Posted by jtabraham
if it's just a bunch of light scratches, I would just try and polish them out. I have bunch of light scratches on my headlights from driving 100 miles a day on a highway that is always going through construction (read tons of loose gravel)
polish? how? did you done it before and what kind of stuff you use?
Old 11-10-2006, 04:45 AM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't done it yet, but I've been researching it. I believe our lens covers are polycarbonate, so I'm not sure if Lexan polishing kits would work on them. Perhaps a normal plastic polish that you can get at a hardware or auto store??
Old 11-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jtabraham
I haven't done it yet, but I've been researching it. I believe our lens covers are polycarbonate, so I'm not sure if Lexan polishing kits would work on them. Perhaps a normal plastic polish that you can get at a hardware or auto store??
What I use is 3M Finese II and a power buffer---If u have lots of scratchs, use 2500 Grit Wet paper to wet sand. After u do that u wont even be able to see through the lenses but after u buff it will be like new