Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am going to install a clear bra myself. Am I nuts ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 07:15 PM
emtae

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am going to install a clear bra myself. Am I nuts ?

I have found a good price on a clear bra for my hood and bumper. 3M brand. I have also downloaded an instructional video from the web site and am thinking of doing it myself. The hood and fenders should be easy but not sure about the bumper. Has anyone tried this on their own?

https://www.autopaintguard.com/kit_s...e=29&model=740
Old 11-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Rexy7

I did my clear bra my self this past summer, but I only did the hood,fenders and mirrors. Suprisingly I did it myself and it came out pretty good, but the hood is the hardest part, takes alot of patience and I would recommend two people installing the hood and bumper, the fenders and side mirrors are a piece of cake.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Tay350z
Banned

Old 11-13-2006, 07:36 PM
deezz

When I get my bumper resprayed. Definitely getting a clear bra put on.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:47 PM
emtae

Originally Posted by deezz
When I get my bumper resprayed. Definitely getting a clear bra put on.
Mine was just sprayed, bumper and hood. The car is parked right now and I don't want to put it back on the road until I have the clear bra installed, however , I don't think there are any proffesional installers where I live.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:48 PM
emtae

Originally Posted by Tay350z
What would like pictures of ? The clear bra? You won't be able to see it, it's clear
Old 11-13-2006, 08:08 PM
fb305

I would find someone with some experience to do the front bumper, I watched as mine was being done, and it definately takes some skill and patience. The guy even said that the Z's were one of the harder cars to do.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:25 AM
9kFever

make sure you let the paint completely cure before you do the clear bra. I would not want to try to put it on. I had my s2000 done after I resprayed the whole car and it did not look easy. I will be getting the 350Z done by the same place.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:04 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Takes a lot of skill especially if its not pre-cut. You have to be super careful with a razor blade! I should know, the ****ing dealer razor bladed my entire front end on my new 03 when I bought it back in 03! Idiots!
Old 11-14-2006, 02:18 AM
Mr. Black

I did my own clear bra. It was not that hard. Well the hardest part was the bumper. I became frustrated with the front bumper because I did not realize how much the stuff stretches. So unfortunately I cut it into 3 pieces then applied the center piece first and then the 2 left over pieces. It still looks pretty good. As for the mirrors, hood, fenders and lights people think they were installed by a pro. Start by lining up the Nissan emblem and then squeegee outward. The trick I used was a hair dryer to get some area to tack so that I could pull and stretch to fit another area. DO NOT LEAVE DRYER ON TOO LONG THE BRA WILL MELT. The dryer almost seems to turn the bra into shrink wrap so conforms to curves better. I would recommend doing fenders, hood, lights then mirrors to get the feel of it. It not really hard just takes some patience.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:20 AM
Mr. Black

Oh yeah get the pre-cut
Old 11-14-2006, 02:27 AM
Mr. Black

I just re-read my post, please excuse the grammatical errors, i just woke. up
Old 11-14-2006, 05:41 AM
emtae

Originally Posted by Mr. Black
I did my own clear bra. It was not that hard. Well the hardest part was the bumper. I became frustrated with the front bumper because I did not realize how much the stuff stretches. So unfortunately I cut it into 3 pieces then applied the center piece first and then the 2 left over pieces. It still looks pretty good. As for the mirrors, hood, fenders and lights people think they were installed by a pro. Start by lining up the Nissan emblem and then squeegee outward. The trick I used was a hair dryer to get some area to tack so that I could pull and stretch to fit another area. DO NOT LEAVE DRYER ON TOO LONG THE BRA WILL MELT. The dryer almost seems to turn the bra into shrink wrap so conforms to curves better. I would recommend doing fenders, hood, lights then mirrors to get the feel of it. It not really hard just takes some patience.

Ya the how to video I downloaded showed the instalation on a BMW and they started from the emblem and worked their way out as well. They sprayed a 70% solution of Isopropyl rubbing alcohol to get small areas to stick so they could pull from that area. The guy on the video made it look pretyy simple but he has probably done it a thousand times.
I have a buddy who does window tinting I will probably get him to help me.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Mr. Black

Yeah I used all the recommended solutions as well. A higher % alcohol enables it to dry quicker. Remember it does stretch so don't flip out like i did. I was about to call the guy i bought it from and say he had given me the wrong bra. Oh and it's just like tinting so get your friend to help. good luck
Old 11-14-2006, 11:03 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do they make the clear bra for any bumper? I'm going to be purchasing and painting a V2 bumper soon, and was wondering if I would have to get a custom sheet.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:05 AM
dmroberson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a kit for my Sentra from clearmask.com. Was cake to install. Just take your time.

I'm planning on doing the same thing for the Z. Price isn't bad either, about $300 to do the entire front end, including the mirrors.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:59 PM
emtae

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Do they make the clear bra for any bumper? I'm going to be purchasing and painting a V2 bumper soon, and was wondering if I would have to get a custom sheet.
Just go to this web site https://www.autopaintguard.com/index.html and search for your car . Click on the " Find a Kit For Your Make And Model"
button
Old 11-14-2006, 04:13 PM
bofa

Originally Posted by emtae
Mine was just sprayed, bumper and hood. The car is parked right now and I don't want to put it back on the road until I have the clear bra installed, however , I don't think there are any proffesional installers where I live.
I'd think tint guys are pretty good with this stuff.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:53 PM
emtae

Originally Posted by bofa
I'd think tint guys are pretty good with this stuff.
Well I phoned the dealer and a local tint/high perf. shop here and no one at either of those places does it. The thing with a window tinter is they have experience, but only on flat surfaces. But then again I have NO experience. lol
Old 11-14-2006, 04:57 PM
ZCARBANDIT
Banned

No, at least you want to save money and do it yourself. Just get a friend to help you and it will be fine.

Quick Reply: I am going to install a clear bra myself. Am I nuts ?