Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Iron Glass.. Where to find..

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 07:58 AM
sorphin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Iron Glass.. Where to find..

Feel free to move this if it's warranted.. I'm going to replace my rear deflector so i can light it.. the problem is.. i can't find anywhere in the whole metro area (and i'm in st. louis) that seems to understand the concept of 'low-iron glass', and the glass manufacturers won't talk to you unless you're a glass dealer.. I thought about going w/ plexiglass, but finding that in 1/8" (which is the thickness of the glass), is just as impossible unless you want a 4x8 sheet..

anyone have any places that would sell/ship low iron laminated or tempered (prefer laminated so i can cut it to shape myself), either here in MO that I'm just not finding, or that will ship to here? any help is appreciated...

thanks
Old 11-15-2006, 08:08 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sorphin
Feel free to move this if it's warranted.. I'm going to replace my rear deflector so i can light it.. the problem is.. i can't find anywhere in the whole metro area (and i'm in st. louis) that seems to understand the concept of 'low-iron glass', and the glass manufacturers won't talk to you unless you're a glass dealer.. I thought about going w/ plexiglass, but finding that in 1/8" (which is the thickness of the glass), is just as impossible unless you want a 4x8 sheet..

anyone have any places that would sell/ship low iron laminated or tempered (prefer laminated so i can cut it to shape myself), either here in MO that I'm just not finding, or that will ship to here? any help is appreciated...

thanks
Not sure about the Glass, But I Know Mcmaster.com sells the plexi you need in smaller peices.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:09 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There has GOT to be some place in MO that has Plexi cut offs. Check "Manufacturing" that uses Plexi, or custom Furnature, Is there a place that makes custom fish Tanks ? Maybe a Coach Manufacturer (Limos,Buses,RVs)
Old 11-15-2006, 08:09 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They Have a Whole Section of Glass for Sale,

Its on the Front Page, At the Bottom under RAW MATERIALS; 3rd Line Down, GLASS.

Here is What they Offer;

MaterialHeat-Resistant Borosilicate Glass
Also known as Pyrex and Schott glass. Heat-resistant. Resists clouding, pitting, and pressure. Not as resistant to rapid and extreme temperature changes as ceramics. Low thermal expansion makes it dimensionally stable. Used in some of the first mirror telescopes.
Very-High Temperature Heat-Resistant Glass Ceramic
Comparable to Pyroceram. Composite material combines optical qualities of glass with high heat resistance of ceramics. Good resistance to rapid temperature changes.
Crush-Resistant Hollow Glass
Micro-sized spheres displace four to six times their weight in most resins. Used as filler when added to completely mixed epoxy resin and hardener.
Fire-Rated Glass
Commonly found in fire-rated doors. Soda lime glass reinforced with wire to prevent spread of smoke and flame by keeping broken glass from falling out of frame.
Extreme Temperature Quartz Pure Glass
Because it is 99.995 percent silicon dioxide many of the properties of this pure glass are superior to other glass. Its high purity provides excellent UV transmission, as well as high transmission in the visible and IR range. Uses include high-intensity lighting, fiber-optic productions, and optical lens systems.
Very-High Temperature Heat-Resistant Silica Glass
Also known as Vycor. 96 percent silica glass. Better resistance to rapid and extreme temperature changes than borosilicate. Good clarity, resists discoloration, able to conduct electricity, and has low dielectric loss. Used in furnace-observation applications.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:41 PM
sorphin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks a bit excess.. thanks though.. if anyone reading this is someone who's already done the 'conversion'.. where'd you get yours from?

Originally Posted by sq40
They Have a Whole Section of Glass for Sale,

Its on the Front Page, At the Bottom under RAW MATERIALS; 3rd Line Down, GLASS.

Here is What they Offer;

MaterialHeat-Resistant Borosilicate Glass
Also known as Pyrex and Schott glass. Heat-resistant. Resists clouding, pitting, and pressure. Not as resistant to rapid and extreme temperature changes as ceramics. Low thermal expansion makes it dimensionally stable. Used in some of the first mirror telescopes.
Very-High Temperature Heat-Resistant Glass Ceramic
Comparable to Pyroceram. Composite material combines optical qualities of glass with high heat resistance of ceramics. Good resistance to rapid temperature changes.
Crush-Resistant Hollow Glass
Micro-sized spheres displace four to six times their weight in most resins. Used as filler when added to completely mixed epoxy resin and hardener.
Fire-Rated Glass
Commonly found in fire-rated doors. Soda lime glass reinforced with wire to prevent spread of smoke and flame by keeping broken glass from falling out of frame.
Extreme Temperature Quartz Pure Glass
Because it is 99.995 percent silicon dioxide many of the properties of this pure glass are superior to other glass. Its high purity provides excellent UV transmission, as well as high transmission in the visible and IR range. Uses include high-intensity lighting, fiber-optic productions, and optical lens systems.
Very-High Temperature Heat-Resistant Silica Glass
Also known as Vycor. 96 percent silica glass. Better resistance to rapid and extreme temperature changes than borosilicate. Good clarity, resists discoloration, able to conduct electricity, and has low dielectric loss. Used in furnace-observation applications.