Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Trims... Dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 06:52 PM
BobaBoyx1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Trims... Dangerous?

I heard that Carbon Fiber shattersif you get into a car accident, and that they also can shatter into sharp pieces....So if i had carbon fiber trims on the interior of my car... Would it be dangerous to be driving around with it? Did anybody ever hear about this hazard in regards to carbon fiber?
Old 11-16-2006, 07:00 PM
iwant_Z

Originally Posted by BobaBoyx1
I heard that Carbon Fiber shattersif you get into a car accident, and that they also can shatter into sharp pieces....So if i had carbon fiber trims on the interior of my car... Would it be dangerous to be driving around with it? Did anybody ever hear about this hazard in regards to carbon fiber?
driving around wont be dangerous... but dude doesnt matter if you have carbon fiber or not, when you crash, its dangerous, period.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:11 PM
savvy

do it, you only live once and if it kills you then it doesn't matter because you are dead
Old 11-16-2006, 07:18 PM
jakesford

talking bad about carbon fiber on an Import site... Put on the flame suit LMAO
Old 11-16-2006, 07:21 PM
BobaBoyx1

I'm not talking about if it'll kill me... I'm just concerened that if a cabon fiber should shatter and splatter around inside the car it could hit you eye and blind you for all I know...
Old 11-16-2006, 07:22 PM
Bubz

Death by Carbon fiber....you'll be in the Guiness Book of Records!!
Old 11-16-2006, 07:27 PM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FACT - if carbon fiber breaks off and penetrates your body, you'll instantly lose weight and become stronger.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:29 PM
nicholasm617

no the interior pieces will be fine, if you get into a bad enough accident that trim pieces are affected enough to shatter, youll be too far gone to worry.

the big carbon fiber warning is with hoods. ALL factory hoods are designed so that in an accident the hood bends up and folds. so that it has a weak point. otherwise theyre worried the weak point will be the hinges, then the hinges would shear off and the hood could come straight back through the windshield....say bye bye to your head.
carbon fiber being so strong and not designed with weak bend points in the structure is unsafe for this reason, at the very least its gonna crack your windshield in a decent front crash.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:52 PM
KwanZito

You should always wear 100% kevlar to counteract the dangers of carbon fiber. Not using carbon fiber is simply not an acceptable course of action. Besides it's the truest form of JDM death to be decapitated by your carbon fiber hood.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Deftones

You should be more worried about your windshield glass. That DOES shatter, safety glass or not, you'll get nice lil cuts all over your arms and face from tiny particles blasting at you. Take it from me... it ain't no fun. Oh yeah, and your airbag only deploys once... and it's not like the movies where it stays inflated and you have to wrestle with it. Breathing in all the white powder crap that inflates it isn't too great either. Carbon fiber shards? Please. If they do break or whatnot, you'll be to busy in your split second response time to even give a f@ck.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:27 PM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I wouldnt worry about it, most "carbon fiber trim" is really just plastic with a pattern. Unless you are replacing things like glove box or dash in one piece carbon, its gonna be plastic stick ons.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:48 PM
Evans Z33

I think all about the CF rim is the normal rim with CF trim!!!! if its fully made of CF, the rim wont go far!!!!
Old 11-16-2006, 10:00 PM
bamyi

If you are talking about interior trims there really are no worries. Most of the trims inside of your car are too small and strong to break in an "average" accident. Also, some of the trims are located in the center of the interior where the accident shouldn't effect them.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:10 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

I heard a guy was street racing in a RSX with a carbon fiber hood and lost control when he hit a pothole at high speeds. He was trying to race against a stock Z who wasn't paying attention and the RSX driver had I/H/E and Hondata and still lost. Then the carbon fiber shattered when he hit a fire hydrant and cut off *****. He's still alive but they call him the dickless K20 owner. Go to club RSX and look for him. He tells everyone he beat a Z with I/H/E and Hondata.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:29 PM
Deftones

Originally Posted by charlie_rdstr_Z
I heard a guy was street racing in a RSX with a carbon fiber hood and lost control when he hit a pothole at high speeds. He was trying to race against a stock Z who wasn't paying attention and the RSX driver had I/H/E and Hondata and still lost. Then the carbon fiber shattered when he hit a fire hydrant and cut off *****. He's still alive but they call him the dickless K20 owner. Go to club RSX and look for him. He tells everyone he beat a Z with I/H/E and Hondata.
If I got in an accident and lost my *****, I'd kill myself. I feel sorry for the guy... if he tried to race me, I'd let him win too.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:34 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Wear a helmet.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:09 AM
dkorr

I remember a decade ago Lexus had dash wood trim that are 'scored' so that in an event of an accident, the wood trim would buckles instead of splintering.

The best thing you can do is use untreated CF weave (before its hardened with resins) and just lay it on your dash.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:28 AM
Jenn350Z

Wow
Old 11-17-2006, 09:42 AM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like threads like these from time to time.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Trims... Dangerous?