Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tint Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 12:51 PM
mikeSSD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tint Question

Wussup everyone... I just got my windows tinted at a shop and you know how when you close the door of your Z it moves a little bit up and down automatically. Well this caused my tint to peel and I will be re-doing it at the shop. Anybody else have this problem or any tips on how to prevent it from doing that? I was thinking about driving with my door halfway closed haha. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they are supposed to trim the tint to where it wont effect it when you close the door.. my tinting shop did it and i had no probs.. i just want a darker tint now...
Old 12-30-2006, 02:00 PM
2 low Z

Either just keep your window cracked for a day or two or you can tape down the rubber switch in the door jam. If you do, be extremely careful when you close the door, but it will shut fine. I know guys that have used that blue masking tape that is used in body shops, but I have never tried it.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:02 PM
ClaytonC01

just leave the windows cracked a lil bit..
Old 12-30-2006, 02:06 PM
DaveZ06

Heres my tip

Find a new Tint Shop!
Old 12-30-2006, 03:14 PM
SeinZ

I agree with DaveZ06!

Any tint shop should be able to deal with this. Many cars come with that bump down feature such as th convertible Benz's, porsche amoung many others.

I have a car audio shop in MD called Caton Radio ( www.catonradio.com ) and we also do vehicle window tinting.

If the installer has half of a brain and isn't lazy they should have no problem tinting without creating this problem.

On every car we do we tint 2 inches under the weather srtipping so the tint never gets the opportunity to peal. A lot of shops are too lazy to take that much care of a car. PM me if u have any questions so you can make sure your shop doesn't screw you again.

Good luck!

-Sein
Old 12-30-2006, 03:23 PM
dmroberson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tinted my windows myself, when I got to the doors, I taped over the top edge of the windows. This lets them function as normal, and the film doesn't move when opening/ closing the door.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:35 PM
bdrose

d&l window tinting did mine..they just had someone else hold down the rubber button while someone else installed the tint..pretty simple
Old 12-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Scarab440

I have a problem with my tint that I belive is related..

my tint keeps peeling in the lower forward corner under the mirror. I've had them tint it twice with the same results. if I pull the fuse that controls the window for a week or so i wonder if it would have time to cure.

what else is odd is he did tint about 1/2 inch past the door seal.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:58 AM
z32 Outlaw Z

That tinting shop is probably not a good 1, when i wanted to get mine done my tinting shop actually told me about the issue with the window going up and down a half inch, it totally slipped my mind.... The tinting guy told me its a long process for Z's and Gs becuz of it, so he has to "FORCE DRY" it....while the doors are open, but that taping the switch is an awesome idea.. thanks
Old 12-31-2006, 10:45 AM
SeinZ

If tinting a Z is a "long process" for that installer then I'd hate to see how long it takes him to tint an excursion or any car with more windows.

So far I'd say the Z is one of the easiest cars to tint in my opinion. Not sure why so many people are having a problem with it.

And for future refrence you guys can tell your shops when they are re-doing your windows that they can just un-screw the phillips head screw holding the rubber door sensor on and the sensor will loose its groud...causing the window to go up. Once the tint is installed (if installed properly) the screw can be put back in place and the bump-down feature will not harm the tint.

Hope this helps
Old 12-31-2006, 11:40 AM
kPaNdA350

Oh I never considered it... I'm thinking about tinting my sides also.

Thanks for the warning
Old 12-31-2006, 05:05 PM
mikeSSD

thanks for the advice..ill be goin back this tuesday and hope everything goes good
Old 01-02-2007, 06:21 AM
sluggo

IF you're in the San Diego area, there's a shop on Miramar called "Auto Salon". Ask for a guy named Mario. They do an awesome job and have lifetime warranties on their work.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:19 AM
mikeSSD

Originally Posted by sluggo
IF you're in the San Diego area, there's a shop on Miramar called "Auto Salon". Ask for a guy named Mario. They do an awesome job and have lifetime warranties on their work.
thanks
Old 01-02-2007, 10:43 AM
ajcool2

Originally Posted by SeinZ
And for future refrence you guys can tell your shops when they are re-doing your windows that they can just un-screw the phillips head screw holding the rubber door sensor on and the sensor will loose its groud...causing the window to go up. Once the tint is installed (if installed properly) the screw can be put back in place and the bump-down feature will not harm the tint.

Hope this helps
This is what my tinting shop told me they had to do. They charged me $10 extra because of it. But I was happy with the end result and they even expedited my work because I didnt want to wait.

I see your shop all the time and always thought it was some kind of radio station. Actually I may bring my maxima up to the shop to see if you can repair my indash dvd player.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:42 AM
Bill_the_Cat
One Whacked Cat

Originally Posted by SeinZ
If tinting a Z is a "long process" for that installer then I'd hate to see how long it takes him to tint an excursion or any car with more windows.

So far I'd say the Z is one of the easiest cars to tint in my opinion. Not sure why so many people are having a problem with it.

Hope this helps
What brands of film and warranty do you offer, and price(s) for tint? Thx
Old 01-03-2007, 08:39 AM
sluggo

Originally Posted by mikeSSD
thanks
Sorry, "Car Salon" not "Auto Salon"

Tech Formula's Car Salon
6620 Miramar Rd B#104
San Diego, CA 92121
Phone858) 455-8324
Old 01-10-2007, 07:49 AM
freking8

I got mine done recently and all you have to do to take care of this is to buy a bottle of silicone at home depot and apply it on the rubber surface that the window hits when slides up and down....probably only once a month..that's it.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:39 PM
badboyblake11

i had mine done, and it happened, but just b.c the shop had never done the windows on a Z b4, so i took it back, and it was never a problem after that.

Quick Reply: Window Tint Question