Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maaco?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 02:28 PM
thaspadez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maaco?

anyone ever had anything painted from these guys? just trying to get my kit painted and they quoted from $500-700 over the phone

im new in the town i live in so i dont know any other shops
Old 03-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Z4lif3

drive around or google autobody shops in your town. Dont just get 1 quote from 1 shop, get multiple quotes.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want your paint to flake off or fade in about a year, go ahead and use them. but what do you expect from a cheap paintshop
Old 03-26-2007, 04:05 PM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Maaco=no go.

If you value your money, do it right the first time.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:12 PM
03Zilverstone

Actually just for a kit they would probably be decent. The thing about Maaco is the prep work, not the actual paint work. They don't spend enough time sanding, taping, or prepping. If you had them in primer and sanded, ready to paint, it probably wouldn't be that bad. I'd worry about color match though. Also what all does the kit include? If it's just a lip you could probably have it all done for just a bit higher at a reputable shop.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:55 PM
ZSpectrum

Originally Posted by thaspadez
anyone ever had anything painted from these guys? just trying to get my kit painted and they quoted from $500-700 over the phone

What the fu** are you thinking, seriously sell your z. Ive never seen a maaco paint job look better than anything I can do with a spray can. I had my car painted at bankston collision center, the paint match is dead on and looks great. There on Northwest highway.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:03 PM
wckdclw

Originally Posted by 03Zilverstone
Actually just for a kit they would probably be decent. The thing about Maaco is the prep work, not the actual paint work. They don't spend enough time sanding, taping, or prepping. If you had them in primer and sanded, ready to paint, it probably wouldn't be that bad. I'd worry about color match though. Also what all does the kit include? If it's just a lip you could probably have it all done for just a bit higher at a reputable shop.

hes right, except the clear usually isnt as good as a reputable body shop would use and some of their jobs can come out dirty
Old 03-26-2007, 05:05 PM
ZSpectrum

Originally Posted by wckdclw
hes right, except the clear usually isnt as good as a reputable body shop would use and some of their jobs can come out dirty
some you mean 90% of them. Ive seen one good maaco paint job and its because they didnt prep it, or do primer or the clear.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:07 PM
tomiegunzz

DONT DO IT. I remember read a thread on this forum of member getting his front bumper painted many times by Maaco and in the end it still didnt match. IMO just find a good reputable body shop. You get what you pay for.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:22 PM
davidf

This'll be the guy who starts a post on how Maaco screwed up his body kit. J/k, good luck in your search. FYI most aftermarket pieces require decent prepping because they're nowhere near perfect, so bear this in mind when considering a body shop.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think they use watercolors

Best bet, join your local regional forum, and ask the guys there who they recommend...my guess is you'll get a huge list to choose from. Or you can call your insurance company and find out who their authorized shops are in your area, and from there, pay a visit and check out the work

You've got a $30k car...don't wreck it by going to the cheapest place on the block
Old 03-26-2007, 07:08 PM
TurboTrey

I've used Maaco for tons of paint jobs. They do a good job if you pay the extra for the work. Everyone has this conception that they only do the $299paint job and that's it. You know it's not really that bad of a job for that price but they don't do any prep and just spray over the old paint. They are a pretty good shop and do stand behind what they do.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:05 PM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tomiegunzz
DONT DO IT. I remember read a thread on this forum of member getting his front bumper painted many times by Maaco and in the end it still didnt match. IMO just find a good reputable body shop. You get what you pay for.
Yup...go elsewhere, bro!
https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/243810-what-to-do-now-paint-dont-match-help.html
Old 03-26-2007, 09:05 PM
03Zilverstone

Originally Posted by TurboTrey
I've used Maaco for tons of paint jobs. They do a good job if you pay the extra for the work. Everyone has this conception that they only do the $299paint job and that's it. You know it's not really that bad of a job for that price but they don't do any prep and just spray over the old paint. They are a pretty good shop and do stand behind what they do.

Just to clear this up all body shops do that. It's a waste of time, money and materials to strip a car down to the metal and reprimer. When you do a repaint you just sand the old clear coat and paint over top of that.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:02 PM
702Fairlady

If you have a full kit you ned to go with a good shop. MAACO is not going to be able to fill in the gaps that almost all kits have. They are no good at fiberglass fabrication from experience.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:58 AM
drap660

MAaco is the worst ever... i wouldnt let them paint my nipples
Old 03-27-2007, 06:07 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thaspadez

Dont judge a paint job by the name of the company, Judge it by the name of the man behind the gun. A lot of guys working with Maaco can lay down some kiiler paint. The only thing with Maaco, which is the same thing with 95% of the shops is the quality of their paint. That can be remedied by you.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:14 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Or you can call your insurance company and find out who their authorized shops are in your area,
A good many shops that are doing insurance work ( and many do ONLY insurance work ) are making a killing, screwing u and the insurance companys by using cheap products.

This is not something I have read or been told, this is something that I, as an experienced painter have seen dozens of times.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:45 PM
OCZTrack

Originally Posted by drap660
MAaco is the worst ever... i wouldnt let them paint my nipples
So who do you let paint your nipples?

Quick Reply: Maaco?