Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do now, paint dont match, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 08:48 AM
bisdakr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do now, paint dont match, HELP!

Hi guys just got my aerosync bumper painted at maaco and gave them the paint code QX1 as it said on the door, got the bumper back today, took it home and the paint doesn't even match!!!not even close its a totaly different type of white, I have an 06 and paint code says QX1, I called the lady at Maaco and she said they painted it QX1 could there be another QX1? what should I do now, I just paid $350 for paint that doesn't even match, it looks like the white that comes on the rx8 my white is more of a dirty white. need help guys, did I get the paint code right? I did a search and for pikes peak white it says QX1, could it be their fault?

Last edited by bisdakr; 01-18-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:52 AM
redlude97

Painting by just the color code wasn't a good idea, even for each individual color code, there are usually up to 10 different variations depending on the manufacturing site because Nissan uses the same color on different cars. So they did paint it qx1, but not the qx1 on your car. You should also look at taking it somewhere other than Maaco if you want a correct color match, they are pretty much the bottom rung when it comes to body shops. Leave a part with them they can color match to, and take it to a better shop, just sucks you wasted so much money on the first paint job without researching first
Old 01-18-2007, 08:54 AM
bisdakr

so I just pretty much waisted $350 Even though I told them qx1 nissan 350z 2006? shouldn't they paint by the qx1 for that car make?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:55 AM
JDMFairladyZ33

Originally Posted by redlude97
Painting by just the color code wasn't a good idea, even for each individual color code, there are usually up to 10 different variations depending on the manufacturing site because Nissan uses the same color on different cars. So they did paint it qx1, but not the qx1 on your car. You should also look at taking it somewhere other than Maaco if you want a correct color match, they are pretty much the bottom rung when it comes to body shops. Leave a part with them they can color match to, and take it to a better shop, just sucks you wasted so much money on the first paint job without researching first

+1 Also, even if they got the code and shade correct it doesnt account for the fading and weathering on your car. Best way to match body parts color is having the car their also.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:58 AM
bisdakr

I just got the car though and the white isn't even a close match, its not something I can put on and only a couple people will notice its a totally different white. I can understand if it was a close match but I told them the color code for a certain car shouldnt they atleast get it close?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:58 AM
JDMFairladyZ33

Originally Posted by bisdakr
so I just pretty much waisted $350 Even though I told them qx1 nissan 350z 2006? shouldn't they paint by the qx1 for that car make?

Well being that your car is a 2006 with the info you gave them I don't see what other color it could be. Is PPW a multi-stage pearl white like on the Maximas? If so then it's real hard to match without the car there.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:00 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This thread needs some photos.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:01 AM
bisdakr

ill take some photos right now. i'll post it up a few minutes.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:02 AM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

You have to paint it in layers from what i understand...this problem with PPW is pretty much the only reason i don't have a kit on my car..i'm afraid they will never be able to match it to my liking.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:08 AM
bisdakr

shouldn't the body shop know that? i'm uploading pics now.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:09 AM
JDMFairladyZ33

shouldn't the body shop know that? i'm uploading pics now.
Yeah but it's Macco man...what do you expect from a place that paints your entire car for $200?
Old 01-18-2007, 09:10 AM
JDMFairladyZ33

Originally Posted by kwiker
You have to paint it in layers from what i understand...this problem with PPW is pretty much the only reason i don't have a kit on my car..i'm afraid they will never be able to match it to my liking.

And the only reason you don't have a kit is because your stupid a$$ keeps ******* them up like your V1 lip How you like them apples?
Old 01-18-2007, 09:16 AM
bisdakr

images are up. $200 to paint a car? my front bumper cost $350 to pain the laidy said it was expensive paint.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:19 AM
JDMFairladyZ33

images are up. $200 to paint a car? my front bumper cost $350 to pain the laidy said it was expensive paint.

Well I don't know what their current prices are but I remember a couple years ago they were advertising some kind of paint service to redo your entire car for around $200 bucks. My buddy got his 94 Celica redone with them and they didnt even bother to rework the old paint. Instead they just covered the new thin layer right over it. Sad to say, less than a year later the new paint started to peel and you can see his old color again in chunks.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:20 AM
redlude97

They were shooting blind though, you didn't give them anything to match the color to, all they did was look up the code in the computer and mix to those specs, only a good painter at a good shop will take the time to correctly color match, and even then they need something to color match to. I guarantee if you take that same part to the best shop in town and tell them to paint it to qx1 without leaving thema part to color match to, the color will be off again. Almost all good shops will ask for a part to color match, or even the whole car.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:21 AM
JDMFairladyZ33

I see the pics now. Even with the low level of lighting you can see the difference. I guess right now you have no choice but to go back and argue the points you've mentioned in the post. You got nothing to loose in your current situation.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:21 AM
JDMFairladyZ33

Originally Posted by redlude97
They were shooting blind though, you didn't give them anything to match the color to, all they did was look up the code in the computer and mix to those specs, only a good painter at a good shop will take the time to correctly color match, and even then they need something to color match to. I guarantee if you take that same part to the best shop in town and tell them to paint it to qx1 without leaving thema part to color match to, the color will be off again. Almost all good shops will ask for a part to color match, or even the whole car.

+1 again.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:24 AM
bisdakr

do you guys think they can repaint the bumper without having to do a lot of work? i've spent 350 already and don't have much money left. this is really frustrating, I don't know anything about painting they should have atleast ask me for a part of the car to color match, I know it wont be an exact match but I thought it would atleast be close, as you can see in the pic its not even close. I'm pissed off right now!!!!!!! damn so stupid.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:29 AM
rockinbboy

Well, your front bumper will never truely match the rest of your car even from the factory. You will see this only in certain condition. The reason they won't match is because front bumper is made of poly urethane and the rest of the car such as your hood is of a differnt type of material. so the paint cures differently on each of the different materials. The difference is subtle and you really have to have a sharp eye to notice it.

With that said and done, just looking at the pictures you posted, your stock bumper looks like a totally different color. I assume that is your stock bumper (with varis air duct). The painted aerosync bumper in the pictures look like a better match to your Z. So either try to get macoo to repaint and give them your Z so they can proprerly color match.

finally....what the hell is that sticker? bisdar? bisdak? nisdak? nisdar?

edit: looks like bisdak..like your username.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:31 AM
zz350zz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah you should've researched this stuff. Only thing you can do is either argue with them (which i don't think will work) or fork out more cash to have it sanded down and start all over. Sorry to hear this man.

Quick Reply: What to do now, paint dont match, HELP!