Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Condition Bad Odor. Any Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 12:34 PM
agentzeros

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Air Condition Bad Odor. Any Suggestions?

I bought a new Z five months ago. I just recently started getting a bad odor from my air condition vents when the car is moving (smells like a wet rag). It smells bad for a few minutes and then goes away. This happens even if the a.c. is turned off. I know most new cars have an "in-cabin microfilter". I was told at the dealer that 350Z don't have this filter, and that they could apply a deoderizer in the vents. I don't want to just mask the smell. I want to find the source of the problem and resolve it. Is this common in 350z cars, or was I just unlucky? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:40 PM
SargentZ

Sounds like you got owned by a friend perhaps. We used to hide things like shrimp or tuna in each others cars as kids for a joke. Funny back then but would suck now. Maybe home boy dropped an old jock strap in your vents.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Z CRUZN

You're right...no incabin filter in the Z. Most of what I've read on the matter seems to point toward the a/c being run a lot in recirc. mode causing the smell. Use a deodorizor (as the dealer recommended - many use a brand called "Frigi-Fresh" or something like that) and run the a/c mainly in fresh mode for a while - may help out.

Last edited by Z CRUZN; 04-06-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:43 PM
LAKERSFAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i get that weird smell too!

i just keep air freshners in my car to mask the smell.

Post it up if youre able to figure out what that freakin smell is and how to fix it!!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2007, 12:47 PM
kennyl5123

Anyone DIY putting the cabin filter to the Z?
Old 04-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Mrpeepers

Stop farting?......
Old 04-06-2007, 02:37 PM
agentzeros

It ain't my farts. My farts smell like roses (although my wife disagrees) This stuff smells like when I forget my clothes in the washer and then pull it out three days later. I got an appointment with the dealer technician next week. I'll post up whatever happens.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:47 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by agentzeros
I want to find the source of the problem and resolve it.
Florida and high humidity and mold go hand-and-hand. Drive with the windows open, and air conditioning ON. See if that helps.

Last edited by davidv; 04-06-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:51 PM
THE TECH

What you can do is turn on the air full blast and have the unit running pulling in outside air. Get a can of spray deodorizor and spray it into the vents from outside. This has been known to clear up some of the issues that you describe.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Track

You are smelling mildew. To eliminate/prevent this, when you are about a block or two from your destination, turn off your a/c compressor and run your fan (outside air) on high.

This will warm up the components and dry out the condensation that is causing the mildew and the resultant odor.

When you run your a/c right up until you stop the car, the components are cold and attract tons of condensation, which just sits there and feeds the mildew. Dry it out.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:26 PM
fklentz

This stuff works pretty good http://www.dwd2.com/
Old 06-05-2007, 09:35 PM
mrquick68

so, what the dealer tell you when you took it in? Our new to us Z has a nasty stink to it too.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:39 PM
chuquison

one dealer told me to change a filter? but someont mention we dont have one? im confused?
Old 06-08-2007, 01:42 PM
agentzeros

Okay. So I take my car to the dealer and I specifically tell them "I do not want a deoderizer, I want you to find the source and clean it". The car tech tells me he has to use standard warranty protocol. According to him, the first step for remediation is to spray the deoderizer "Fridgie Fresh" into the fresh air intake vents. The deoderizer is supposed to kill the bacteria and last up to 6 months. If the smell returns they'll spray it again for a second time. If the problem continues, after the third visit then they will disassemble the dashboard and inspect the evaporator. By the way, I did ask again about the "in-cabin air filter". The 350Z does not have one. However the G35 does.

So I give in. Let's see if this works. I got the car back and for the first week the deoderizer smell was so powerful it would make my sinus tingle. I had to partially open the windows when using the AC. I figured if it's doing this to my sinus then I guess it's really working and it's killing the bacteria in the AC system. After about a week the deoderizer smell wore off and the bad odor was gone too. I also want to mention that I have been more conscious and responsible in using my AC. I have been using the fresh air (not the recirculate), and I have been turning off the compressor a few minutes before reaching my destination. In order for the fan blower to air dry the condensation. A thanks to all who posted the helpful tips on this thread.

It's now been about seven weeks since the dealer sprayed Fridgie Fresh, and I have been practicing these preventative steps. Guess what? The bad odor is starting up again. So I will be paying the dealer another visit soon.

On another note, I checked out www.dwd2.com and I may use them as a last result. It seems like a good product. Although, I'm a bit shaky about drilling a hole in my dash.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:56 PM
I1DER

Originally Posted by chuquison
one dealer told me to change a filter? but someont mention we dont have one? im confused?
When I ordered my '06 Touring, a cabin filter was an option...$100-$200 I don't remember , but I didn't opt for it. Anybody out there that did?
Old 06-08-2007, 02:02 PM
John Bronze

I got that weird smell too. I tried convincing myself thats its the new car smell. lol
Old 06-08-2007, 02:11 PM
Track

Originally Posted by I1DER
When I ordered my '06 Touring, a cabin filter was an option...$100-$200 I don't remember , but I didn't opt for it. Anybody out there that did?
My dealer sure would like a part number on that, because according to them it does not exist. What dealership offered you this "option?" I'll have my dealer call your dealer and maybe they can talk part numbers.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Roger V

Try running your a/c with the compressor off for a few mins before you turn off the car. Dries up all the moisture in the vents and keeps the mildew smell out.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Track

Thumbs up Yet another one agrees

Originally Posted by Roger V
Try running your a/c with the compressor off for a few mins before you turn off the car. Dries up all the moisture in the vents and keeps the mildew smell out.
Originally Posted by Track
You are smelling mildew. To eliminate/prevent this, when you are about a block or two from your destination, turn off your a/c compressor and run your fan (outside air) on high.
I already suggested that, as it is the obvious cause of their problem. I do not understand the "mystery."
Old 06-08-2007, 05:03 PM
Roger V

Originally Posted by Track
I already suggested that, as it is the obvious cause of their problem. I do not understand the "mystery."
Sorry. I must confess I did not read the thread. Just posted the usual remedy.

Quick Reply: Air Condition Bad Odor. Any Suggestions?