Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006.5/ 2007 aftermarket seats help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 06:09 AM
SlipZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006.5/ 2007 aftermarket seats help!!!!

i installed 2 sparco seats on my 06 350z. I run into a problem of weight sensor and air bag wiring on the passenger side. I know that the 05 and later doesnt have weight sensors on the passenger seat, hence, easier to plug in dummy 2 ohm resistor (thanks cheston!)to bypass air bag.

my problem know is, there are 3 wires from it (orange,red,black). Im not sure if the 2 are for the air bag and 1 for weight sensor. Right now the car has blinking air bag light on the dash and passenger air bag overhead near the rear view mirror. i think weight sensors are also standard on 07's.

if anyone had aftermarket seats installed on their 06 or 07 please let me know what you did to bypass the air bag/weight sensor lights on the passenger side??? I was ready to install the 2 ohm resistors until i saw the 3 wires.

thanks in advance!
Old 04-12-2007, 07:01 AM
SlipZ

i did the searches on this thread...i cant find anything specific to my problem. Im assuming they dont have weight sensors on their cars..anyone help?!!!

afraid of the search police!!!!...

Last edited by SlipZ; 04-12-2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

if someone uploads the wiring schematic for the 06 Supplemental Restraint System. i can help you. i dont have that one.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:39 PM
SlipZ

Originally Posted by Chebosto
if someone uploads the wiring schematic for the 06 Supplemental Restraint System. i can help you. i dont have that one.

ok, here it is.let me know if its the right page?..i have the whole SRS file for 06. can i email it to you? pm me your email address.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:51 PM
SlipZ

cheston, i have the whole 06 service manual on my computer. Let me know what you need i will email the file to you.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Cris-

According the 2006 SRS file you sent me, if you look at page (10 of 56) you will see that there are still only TWO wires to the front RD side airbag module pin # 31 & 32, and front LH side airbag module pin #33 & 34.

Your seat, when you remove it should have two clips. one clip should be for the seatbelt pre-tension connector (connected to the seat belt), and the other for the airbag should be yellow connector. there is nothing in the service manual that lists a Red, Orange, Black three wire combination.

are you saying that the yellow connector has three wires coming out of it? if so. please take a picture of it. since nothing in the service manual states anything about weight sensor.. .

they usually just use black solely for ground, if anything i'd say just plug it in and try the different combinations.

one thing you can do is Check the seat out and follow the different colored wires BACK to the airbag, the cloth seats zip up from the sides.. follow the wire coming of the airbag and see which colors those cooresond to the clip that's stuck on the seat.

or. (laughs. get me a 2006.5 updated SRS)
--cheston
Old 04-13-2007, 07:08 PM
SlipZ

Cris-

According the 2006 SRS file you sent me, if you look at page (10 of 56) you will see that there are still only TWO wires to the front RD side airbag module pin # 31 & 32, and front LH side airbag module pin #33 & 34.

Your seat, when you remove it should have two clips. one clip should be for the seatbelt pre-tension connector (connected to the seat belt), and the other for the airbag should be yellow connector. there is nothing in the service manual that lists a Red, Orange, Black three wire combination.

are you saying that the yellow connector has three wires coming out of it? if so. please take a picture of it. since nothing in the service manual states anything about weight sensor.. .

they usually just use black solely for ground, if anything i'd say just plug it in and try the different combinations.

one thing you can do is Check the seat out and follow the different colored wires BACK to the airbag, the cloth seats zip up from the sides.. follow the wire coming of the airbag and see which colors those cooresond to the clip that's stuck on the seat.

or. (laughs. get me a 2006.5 updated SRS)
--cheston

Hi---

I dont have an air bag on the seat.Its an enthusiast model. here is the picture. sorry about the picture is from my phone. The one on the left is the seat belt harness. On the right- RED,Orange, and Black.
Attached Thumbnails 2006.5/ 2007 aftermarket seats  help!!!!-airbagharness.jpg  

Last edited by SlipZ; 04-13-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by SlipZ
I dont have an air bag on the seat.
?? what ?? ok. i feel like i'm not getting the whole story here.

ok. so what you're telling me is you took out the seat, which DOES NOT have a SRS side impact airbag, and the picture you took with your camera phone is what's left of the wires connected on the floor of the Z... or is the picture the connectors thats on the seat?

did you accidently UNCLIP this harness from anywhere other than the seat?with that being said, the ONLY three wire connector thats even remotely close to the seat in that area is the "side airbag satellite sensor"

questions:

1. did you replug back in the seat belt pre-tensioner wire?
2. did you do the SRS reset procedure (with no resistors in place) and see the flashing ABS light and figure out what it was saying?
3. i'm sorry to ask but to take more pictures of the under the seat wiring (what's attached to your stock seats, not the car)
4. if there really is a weight sensor, and its not an airbag connector, why not just pull out the sensor from the stock seat and just put it into your new race seats...
Old 04-15-2007, 07:48 AM
SlipZ

?? what ?? ok. i feel like i'm not getting the whole story here.

ok. so what you're telling me is you took out the seat, which DOES NOT have a SRS side impact airbag, and the picture you took with your camera phone is what's left of the wires connected on the floor of the Z... or is the picture the connectors thats on the seat?

did you accidently UNCLIP this harness from anywhere other than the seat?with that being said, the ONLY three wire connector thats even remotely close to the seat in that area is the "side airbag satellite sensor"

questions:

1. did you replug back in the seat belt pre-tensioner wire?
2. did you do the SRS reset procedure (with no resistors in place) and see the flashing ABS light and figure out what it was saying?
3. i'm sorry to ask but to take more pictures of the under the seat wiring (what's attached to your stock seats, not the car)
4. if there really is a weight sensor, and its not an airbag connector, why not just pull out the sensor from the stock seat and just put it into your new race seats...

cheston-

sorry for the confusion. My 06 is an enthusiast , it didnt have a SRS side impact air bag. The connectors you see are from the floor. 2 of them 1 for the seat belt and 1 for the weight sensor???(i found out that it was standard on late 06 and 07 models).

1.yes, i did.
2.i tried once it didnt work. but i'll try again today.
3.see picture below
4.that is my last option. the weight sensor is deeply inserted in the seat. i will basically tear it up. Im planning to save the seat if i can.

here is the picture from the seat.
Attached Thumbnails 2006.5/ 2007 aftermarket seats  help!!!!-seatharness.jpg  
Old 04-15-2007, 09:02 AM
DatukZ

Originally Posted by SlipZ
cheston, i have the whole 06 service manual on my computer. Let me know what you need i will email the file to you.
I sit possible to also email me as i am thinkinh of chamgimg ma seats to Recaro...
Old 04-15-2007, 09:09 AM
SlipZ

datukZ- pm me your e mail.

btw- what recaro's are you getting??.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:12 AM
SlipZ

here's the picture of the seats in the car installed.
Attached Thumbnails 2006.5/ 2007 aftermarket seats  help!!!!-redsparcoseats.jpg   2006.5/ 2007 aftermarket seats  help!!!!-redsparcoseats2.jpg  
Old 04-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

weight sensor is probably two pieces of metal touching each other with a spring in the middle to signal that there is someone in the seat.

a signal is probably being sent from the car to the weight sensor, and if no one is in the seat, the same voltage is being sent back into the car.

then you add a person in to the seat, then the signal that is sent out from the car, is now altered and a different signal is sent back into the car, thus activating the airbag signal.

in this case you would want to have the system always think there is someone in the car so that the airbags would deploy reguardless .. so its gotta be in the 'WEIGHTED' or 'ON" stage. just dont drive with kids in the car...

without the 2006.5 service manual, i dont know really which one is supposed to 'switch' on, or if there is a specific resistance that the SRS is looking for- probably saying OPEN loop right now since nothing is connected...

sorry. but i've probably gone as far as i can w/o risking speculation or potential damage to your Z.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:31 PM
SlipZ

weight sensor is probably two pieces of metal touching each other with a spring in the middle to signal that there is someone in the seat.

a signal is probably being sent from the car to the weight sensor, and if no one is in the seat, the same voltage is being sent back into the car.

then you add a person in to the seat, then the signal that is sent out from the car, is now altered and a different signal is sent back into the car, thus activating the airbag signal.

in this case you would want to have the system always think there is someone in the car so that the airbags would deploy reguardless .. so its gotta be in the 'WEIGHTED' or 'ON" stage. just dont drive with kids in the car...

without the 2006.5 service manual, i dont know really which one is supposed to 'switch' on, or if there is a specific resistance that the SRS is looking for- probably saying OPEN loop right now since nothing is connected...

sorry. but i've probably gone as far as i can w/o risking speculation or potential damage to your Z.
thank you for all your help, cheston.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:06 AM
piercec804

I have the same problem with the light flashing on the dash and showing "OFF" above by the mirror. I have an 07 350z. I had a cat **** on my seat and had to pull it, hose it down, (flood it is more like it) until all the **** had run through. Now I think the sensor is damaged. Everything is plugged back up but acts like it is not. Can anyone help?
Old 07-13-2011, 06:07 AM
Emerald99

Is there any way to disable the airbag light on the 2006.5+ (I have an 07) without ripping up your original seats, and pulling out the weight sensor?
Old 07-15-2011, 07:00 PM
SlipZ

Originally Posted by Emerald99
Is there any way to disable the airbag light on the 2006.5+ (I have an 07) without ripping up your original seats, and pulling out the weight sensor?
no. Unless there was a better way to fool the weight sensor other than installing resistors and resetting the the ECU. Since this thread, i sold the seats and put back the old ones i have. Im glad i didnt tear the weight sensors..
Old 05-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Suntzuprodigy

sorry to bump an old thread but i own an 08' z and i swapped my cloth stained seats for a set of tenzo r red buckets, and i was told to wire a resistor to the plug that was left over.. idk why but i cant find anybody that has done this, i just want the airbag to deplay regardless and get the light off my dash, has anyone done anything on this topic since?
Old 05-10-2012, 10:48 PM
EmpireDude
Vendor - Former Vendor

I relocated my weight sensor into my aftermarket seat. I believe you run into an issue with the 07 and 08 because they have the weight sensors in the seats. I will let someone else chime in, but I figured I'd offer the idea of placing the weight sensor into your new seat.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Suntzuprodigy

Originally Posted by EmpireDude
I relocated my weight sensor into my aftermarket seat. I believe you run into an issue with the 07 and 08 because they have the weight sensors in the seats. I will let someone else chime in, but I figured I'd offer the idea of placing the weight sensor into your new seat.
well as dumb as this sounds, the weight sensor is gone i traded to a guy hours away from me, if this resistor idea works fine then ill have to do that, but its been about a week and im already annoyed by the flashing light but MUCH more importantly is my girlfriend drives with me just about everytime i go out and she is concerned that if we got in an accident the airbags wouldnt deploy on her side.