Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How Rice Is It?
Non-Rice.
44.71%
A little rice, but mostly teryaki chicken.
17.65%
50/50 rice, like a meal at panda express.
18.82%
Cheap Chinese spot shrimp fried rice (All rice)
14.12%
Boogie Hands...
4.71%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

How Rice is a Starter Button/Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Korki Buchek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Rice is a Starter Button/Switch?

I was looking at these things. You still need the key which is lame (but the only way of doing it safely on a daily driver); they also come in anodized red or blue only which is also quite lame. But the idea of starting the car with a switch is sort of neat, maybe.

Also, as an aside, I saw this video on here that was (I think!) a crazy built G-Coupe. When they started it up, all of the dials on the gauges went all the way to the right before going to their normal position. It looked cool as ****, is there any way to do this on stock gauges or do you need a kit?
Old 04-25-2007, 05:07 PM
drivenCSZ

starter buttons a-la s2k have been done before. perhaps someone will be kind and post the link to the thread.

aint gonna be me though. i'm too lazy
Old 04-25-2007, 05:10 PM
QuicksilverZ33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say 50/50 because although its cool...its completely unneccessary...
Old 04-25-2007, 05:32 PM
xyberai

If everything "cool but serves no purpose" is rice then what about blacked out lights, interior styling, 9/10ths of the body kits... People calling things rice is getting too out of hand. Just cause it doesn't make the car go faster, if it looks nice, is done right and isn't ghetto rigged, i don't think its rice.

I know i voted "a little bit rice" but after thinking about it i think its fine. I wouldn't do it myself cause its a hassle and you still have to use a key. If i did it, i would hide a switch you had to turn on to get the starter to even work and then you could just press the button to start the car without the key in it. That way you could still have that security.

I say if you wanna do it, go for it. Use an S2k button cause its very clean and hide a kill switch somewhere so you wont have security issues.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:35 PM
rwalton1129

I said not rice due to the fact that I have done this my self. Here is the thread... Pics of mine are in there as well...

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-video-and-electronics-diy/220742-s2k-engine-start-button-install-write-up.html
Old 04-25-2007, 05:38 PM
sofa king
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xyberai
Just cause it doesn't make the car go faster, if it looks nice, is done right and isn't ghetto rigged, i don't think its rice.
but thats the problem. some how people can afford the Z, not talking about the OP, and only manage to afford cheap *** mods for it.

i think the button would be nice if it 'looked' OEM. now if you try to stick in on the steering wheel to make it look cool and show off that you have a push sart, IMO, thats rice. subtleness is your friend.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:38 PM
evolved326

I wouldnt call it rice, its jsut plain gimmick. But when ur keys are in ur pockets and you push the button, thats hot.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:39 PM
sofa king
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rwalton1129
I said not rice due to the fact that I have done this my self. Here is the thread... Pics of mine are in there as well...

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220742
looks like a whole gang of work for one button.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Ztalker

lol....the starter button is almost as old as the invention of the automobile besides the manual choke and hand cranking.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:19 PM
rwalton1129

Originally Posted by sofa king
looks like a whole gang of work for one button.
It is not that bad... it only took me about an hour or so...
Old 04-25-2007, 06:48 PM
Korki Buchek

What would be really fresh is a finger-print reader. I got one on my new laptop so imagine they can't be too expensive.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:57 AM
MustGoFastR

Well, I guess my vote is obvious (the above link to the how-to is my write-up... I was not the first do do this mod onthe Z, though), but it's nice to see the majority agrees with me.

Think of it this way... an S2k comes with the exact same button used in the exact same way stock; is it rice? No, it's cool. Hell a Ferarri Enzo is the same (YES, you even still have to use the key); rice? Don't think so.

Now I agree that just adding the button to an otherwise stock car that doesn't come with it could be lame b/c it just doesn't fit in, but my car is far from stock and I've since added a full CF interior trim kit that my button is now mounted in, it looks very racy along with everything else.

Is it useless? Sure, but so are alot of aeasthetic mods that do nothing at all; at least this does something and puts a smile on your face in the process. Is it as cool as newer keyless systems? No, but it's more race car authentic than those techno-gadgets that are just one more thing to go wrong. Even still, I gaurantee the next gen Z will have one of these, given that they put it in the new Alima.

Really it's a matter of taste. I like it alot, but it was near the bottom of my mod list and I only did it after I had pretty much done everything else to the car. Install was really very easy and can be done in an hour or two; I was just particularly detailed in the write-up, which may make it look tougher than it is.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:07 AM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
Well, I guess my vote is obvious (the above link to the how-to is my write-up... I was not the first do do this mod onthe Z, though), but it's nice to see the majority agrees with me.

Think of it this way... an S2k comes with the exact same button used in the exact same way stock; is it rice? No, it's cool. Hell a Ferarri Enzo is the same (YES, you even still have to use the key); rice? Don't think so.

Now I agree that just adding the button to an otherwise stock car that doesn't come with it could be lame b/c it just doesn't fit in, but my car is far from stock and I've since added a full CF interior trim kit that my button is now mounted in, it looks very racy along with everything else.

Is it useless? Sure, but so are alot of aeasthetic mods that do nothing at all; at least this does something and puts a smile on your face in the process. Is it as cool as newer keyless systems? No, but it's more race car authentic than those techno-gadgets that are just one more thing to go wrong. Even still, I gaurantee the next gen Z will have one of these, given that they put it in the new Alima.

Really it's a matter of taste. I like it alot, but it was near the bottom of my mod list and I only did it after I had pretty much done everything else to the car. Install was really very easy and can be done in an hour or two; I was just particularly detailed in the write-up, which may make it look tougher than it is.

and i here i thought it was a nos button
Old 04-26-2007, 06:08 AM
Riley07

I loved the start button in my 03 S2000!!! It was a great conversation piece when someone watches you start the car by pressing a button...I might even do this mod to my Z
Old 04-26-2007, 09:11 AM
noodleman

how does teh start button work if it was fitting onto the Z? you stick your key in the ignition, turn the car on, step on the clutch then plus start?

to me, it seems like it's more trouble than it's worth. My hand is already turning the key, it's not a whole lot of effort to turn it that little bit more to start the car as opposed to taking my hand off the key and pressing a button.

it's the only reason i think it's a little rice. If you can mod your car so it's like the new G35's "Infiniti Intelligent Key", then that's totally NOT rice.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:55 AM
r26

Originally Posted by Korki Buchek
I was looking at these things. You still need the key which is lame (but the only way of doing it safely on a daily driver); they also come in anodized red or blue only which is also quite lame. But the idea of starting the car with a switch is sort of neat, maybe.

Also, as an aside, I saw this video on here that was (I think!) a crazy built G-Coupe. When they started it up, all of the dials on the gauges went all the way to the right before going to their normal position. It looked cool as ****, is there any way to do this on stock gauges or do you need a kit?
the scion tc's gauges does that too
Old 04-26-2007, 10:01 AM
doskiez

Originally Posted by Korki Buchek
What would be really fresh is a finger-print reader. I got one on my new laptop so imagine they can't be too expensive.
THAT WOULD BE HARDCORE! I would really love to have that... just have to enable the regular key too for people other than you (if you ever let that happen) that would drive your car.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:03 AM
bbs350z

the full needlse sweep comes w/ alot of cars. my dads zo6 does that, so do sti's. and all the defi gauges, and many more do a full sweep, then return 2 normal. as 4 the start button, seems fun, but would seem 2 get old after the 10th time doing it.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:21 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wouldn't it have utility on the track? Everytime you stall, puch a button to start instead of flipping the key?
Old 04-26-2007, 10:45 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by noodleman
how does teh start button work if it was fitting onto the Z? you stick your key in the ignition, turn the car on, step on the clutch then plus start?
That is exactly how it works, just like in the S2K and Enzo, for that matter...

Quick Reply: How Rice is a Starter Button/Switch?