Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tint: Makes car cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:46 PM
OCZTrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Ummmm.. maybe it's the hot air from outside you feel.
Okay maybe I didn't explain it right but I think you already know what I mean. You can definitely tell the difference between the temperature of the air and the heat from the sun. Similar to when you are in the shade and step out into the sun. I understand you're upset because I disagreed with your opinion but please try to realize that not everybody shares yours.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:49 PM
doskiez

Looks cool feels cool cant go wrong... unless u go illegal and get pulled =(
Old 05-08-2007, 10:01 PM
flynbrin

1. looks good

2. yes, it does keep the car cooler
Old 05-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

keeps you from getting sunburn too lol
Old 05-09-2007, 04:26 AM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

Originally Posted by bugsbbunny
Maybe it's because your car is white. What color is your co-worker's car?
His car was a light gold-ish color.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:12 AM
zzz350

I heard that tint is colder in the city than it is in the winter (sorry to give you "english as a second language" a total mindf**k with that one).
Old 05-09-2007, 06:28 AM
Mansmind

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
This sounds like a perfect test for Mythbusters.

I haven't seen any real scientific evidence one way or the other so it's hard to say for sure. In reality, the reason for tinting windows is for privacy, not for cooling. Companies that sell tint claim it as a benefit but they're touting their own science so that might be questionable.

A silver tint that reflects light, especially infrared radiation, should keep temperatures lower in the car than no tint at all. But keep in mind that the sun is shining on the roof, doors and windows heating them and that heat radiates into the car anyway.

A dark tint won't reflect as much light as the silver tints do. In fact, since dark colors absorb more heat, the glass surface may be getting a lot hotter than regular glass would. That too would radiate into the body of the car heating it up more than usual.
All true, the dark tint does indeed absorb heat more. That being said, it cuts down on the transmission of light by a good amount (according to the % tint you use). A significant amount of heat inside the car is generated by the absorbtion of light by pieces INSIDE the car (dash, seats, etc.). Since the light transmission is lowered with tint, the resulting temperature of those pieces are lower.. or more accurately, the heat build-up takes longer. Since the surfaces inside the car generally stay cooler.. the overall cabin temperature tends to be lower.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:43 AM
Driven1
Professional

Originally Posted by Mansmind
All true, the dark tint does indeed absorb heat more. That being said, it cuts down on the transmission of light by a good amount (according to the % tint you use). A significant amount of heat inside the car is generated by the absorbtion of light by pieces INSIDE the car (dash, seats, etc.). Since the light transmission is lowered with tint, the resulting temperature of those pieces are lower.. or more accurately, the heat build-up takes longer. Since the surfaces inside the car generally stay cooler.. the overall cabin temperature tends to be lower.

This is correct. However, one of the more important reasons is to protect the fading and deterioration of the interior by blocking 99.9% of those oh so harmful UV rays.

The differece in actual temperature is mainly noticed when occupying the vehicle. Ever notice that really hot sensation when you're driving down the road and the sunlight is just beating on your leg and arm? Tint will make a HUGE difference for that. And you'll notice it right away.

If you leave a car in direct sunlight for an extended period of time its going to get HOT whether you have tint or not. Less hot...Yes, but its hard to notice the difference between 115 degrees and 125 degrees (especially when it's stagnent air that is just sitting there. Leave the windows slightly cracked and you'll see a larger difference.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:09 AM
Mansmind

Originally Posted by Driven1
This is correct. However, one of the more important reasons is to protect the fading and deterioration of the interior by blocking 99.9% of those oh so harmful UV rays.

The differece in actual temperature is mainly noticed when occupying the vehicle. Ever notice that really hot sensation when you're driving down the road and the sunlight is just beating on your leg and arm? Tint will make a HUGE difference for that. And you'll notice it right away.

If you leave a car in direct sunlight for an extended period of time its going to get HOT whether you have tint or not. Less hot...Yes, but its hard to notice the difference between 115 degrees and 125 degrees (especially when it's stagnent air that is just sitting there. Leave the windows slightly cracked and you'll see a larger difference.
Agreed! A tinted car will still get got, although it can take significantly longer to do that. Hot is hot once it reaches that point.

Personally, I didn't get tint based on the affect to cabin temperature. It has way more to do with looks.. as well as keeping the bright light out (easier on the eyes IMO). Additionally, the small amount of privacy it provides is nice.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:25 AM
jeff91ta

16% Solargard Ti on the sides and back..... Solargard Ti 45% or 50%(i think) on the windshield.

Looks cool, stays cool. You don't get that blast off hot air when you open the door in the summer... keeps the sun from beating on you and eliminates the headlight glare you get from every pickup and SUV on the road that is riding behind you.

Makes a definite difference in temp.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Llumar is a popular and reputable brand of tint:

http://www.llumar.com/na-eng/Automotive/auto.html

It seems like it may make your car cooler based upon the fact that it lets less light in. :shrug:
Old 05-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Mazinger Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Average cost of tint? All 5 pieces? LOL, I need to get 3 cars tinted
Old 05-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

have you guys heard of Ceramic Window tint?

Madico Advanced Ceramic film will forever change the way you look at, and through, car windows. A company that has proven its tinting expertise for more than thirty years is pushing the boundaries and breaking the rules. Not only does this state of the art product offer all the benefits you expect from window tinting, it gives you more of what you want… a lot more.

Incredibly, this new technology allows 61% of visible light to penetrate the window. The result is crystal clear, “high definition driving”… a quality never before seen in tinted windows. While continuing to offer outstanding resistance against heat, UV rays, infrared heat, and glare, Madico Advanced Ceramic film eliminates the need for compromise.

Tinted windows that give your car far more than good looks, and far more than tinting ever has.

This brand new innovation offers…

Exceptional optical clarity / “High definition” visibility
Increased Glare Reduction
Up to 99% blockage of UV rays
Up to 61% heat rejection
Up to 82% reduction in Infrared heat
And the benefits Madico has offered for years…

Added shatter resistance
Multiple shade choices, light to dark
Protection against interior fading
Manufacturer’s lifetime warranty
No longer just for the couch, high definition for the driver’s seat.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:42 AM
philude

all i care about is that the leather doesn't burn my *** when i get into my car, so far my window tints has proven to prevent this from happening...
Old 05-11-2007, 11:48 AM
HitLines

Does it really matter if tint keeps the car temp cooler (it does)? It kills most of the rays so you can see out of the car in bright days. Every car I have driven has always had 20% tint. It's nice if you forget your sunglasses because you can still see without strain.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:51 AM
dmroberson

Originally Posted by bugsbbunny
Average cost of tint? All 5 pieces? LOL, I need to get 3 cars tinted
I paid about $55 shipped from segmentfive.com, for their Solargard titanium film, precut for both doors, quarter windows, and back windshield. Install was a breeze, since the pieces were precut. Looked like a pro install when finished.

I'm actually redoing it myself, gonna use the pieces as templates, to cut Gila's Ultrashield film, since this film has UV protection in it. Was $15 per roll from Advance Auto Parts. Need 2 rolls.

Last edited by dmroberson; 05-11-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:28 PM
benDF

I can't believe this is actually a thread.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Mazinger Z

Originally Posted by benDF
I can't believe this is actually a thread.
Why not?
Old 05-11-2007, 04:40 PM
HitLines

Cost all depends on the car and the angle of the glass. My 2002 firebird was around $300 because of the ***** back window. I also did the silver reflective tint which is a little more expensive than pure black. Most places cover the back in 2 pieces but I had the shop do it in 1 which costs a little more but well worth it.

I had the same shop do the Z and it was much less because of the angle and I was a return customer.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Driven1
Professional

Originally Posted by HitLines
Cost all depends on the car and the angle of the glass. My 2002 firebird was around $300 because of the ***** back window. I also did the silver reflective tint which is a little more expensive than pure black. Most places cover the back in 2 pieces but I had the shop do it in 1 which costs a little more but well worth it.

I had the same shop do the Z and it was much less because of the angle and I was a return customer.

They charged you that much more to one piece? Man, I don't get some tinters. And $300 is rediculous IMO for that. Standard 2 door for me would be $160 ($130 for all the forum members Z's ) For the Firebird. $180 w/ a one piece back window. That one's not even one of the hardest to do.

Quick Reply: Window Tint: Makes car cooler?