Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tint: Makes car cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Mazinger Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window Tint: Makes car cooler?

I'm just wondering if tinting the windows will make the car cooler or hotter. Does anyone feel a difference?
Old 05-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Vertex350

cooler... I feel a big difference especially in the summertime.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:55 AM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most definately, it makes a big difference.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:55 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Sorry I just had to laugh. It actually makes your car hotter!

Old 05-08-2007, 11:56 AM
behjjeh
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by zand02max

hmm agree.. my car looks hotter!! after tinted..
Old 05-08-2007, 12:13 PM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

Originally Posted by zand02max

uhhhhh, not sure what to make of this. Just clarify something for me real quick. Do you seriously think the interior temp of a car with tint will be higher than one without?
Old 05-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Richy350Z

Lmao!

It makes it look cooler!

It's used to prevent so much heat from going in the car (and the sun not directly hitting your face)
Old 05-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Mazinger Z

Originally Posted by kwiker
uhhhhh, not sure what to make of this. Just clarify something for me real quick. Do you seriously think the interior temp of a car with tint will be higher than one without?
Yea I was thinking maybe it would make it hotter since tint is black/dark. And dark colors attract more heat. Thanks for your reply guys~
Old 05-08-2007, 12:50 PM
noodleman

looks hotter, feels cooler.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:06 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

This sounds like a perfect test for Mythbusters.

I haven't seen any real scientific evidence one way or the other so it's hard to say for sure. In reality, the reason for tinting windows is for privacy, not for cooling. Companies that sell tint claim it as a benefit but they're touting their own science so that might be questionable.

A silver tint that reflects light, especially infrared radiation, should keep temperatures lower in the car than no tint at all. But keep in mind that the sun is shining on the roof, doors and windows heating them and that heat radiates into the car anyway.

A dark tint won't reflect as much light as the silver tints do. In fact, since dark colors absorb more heat, the glass surface may be getting a lot hotter than regular glass would. That too would radiate into the body of the car heating it up more than usual.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:08 PM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

All i know is that sometimes i go ride with a co-worker to lunch and his car is way hotter inside than mine. I have 20% on the front and 5% everywhere else.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:55 PM
OCZTrack

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
I can't see how there would need to be too much of a test. I have 5% all the way around (except for windshield of course) and I can tell a huge difference just by rolling my windows down. If it's sunny out and I roll my window down I can IMMEDIATELY feel the heat increase by A LOT.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:15 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by OCZTrack
I can't see how there would need to be too much of a test. I have 5% all the way around (except for windshield of course) and I can tell a huge difference just by rolling my windows down. If it's sunny out and I roll my window down I can IMMEDIATELY feel the heat increase by A LOT.
Ummmm.. maybe it's the hot air from outside you feel.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:42 PM
Mazinger Z

Originally Posted by kwiker
All i know is that sometimes i go ride with a co-worker to lunch and his car is way hotter inside than mine. I have 20% on the front and 5% everywhere else.
Maybe it's because your car is white. What color is your co-worker's car?
Old 05-08-2007, 04:54 PM
SargentZ

I haven't seen any real scientific evidence one way or the other so it's hard to say for sure. In reality, the reason for tinting windows is for privacy, not for cooling. Companies that sell tint claim it as a benefit but they're touting their own science so that might be questionable.

A silver tint that reflects light, especially infrared radiation, should keep temperatures lower in the car than no tint at all. But keep in mind that the sun is shining on the roof, doors and windows heating them and that heat radiates into the car anyway.

A dark tint won't reflect as much light as the silver tints do. In fact, since dark colors absorb more heat, the glass surface may be getting a lot hotter than regular glass would. That too would radiate into the body of the car heating it up more than usual.
True, but most of our Zs have a dark interior so light passing through the 'un-tinted' glass will certainly heat up all the Dark-Colored surfaces inside and radiate to the interior, probably more so than the 'surface area' of the actual tinted-glass surfaces. hmmmm

SZ
Old 05-08-2007, 04:59 PM
FairladyZ06

It makes me cooler and the car hotter But I love the tint, living in FL, you need it!!!
Old 05-08-2007, 08:20 PM
r26

i own a tint shop so i know a thing or two. tint does block out heat. actually, the main reason for tinting is to block out heat. most states have laws that prevent you from having any kind of privacy (5% tint). all of our film blocks out 99% uv and at least 40% heat. our cheap film blocks out 40% heat, while our higher grades block out up to 63%. you are correct about the tint absorbing and reflecting heat. the silver absorbs, and reflects more while the charcoal film reflects, and absorbs more. the difference that film makes is very obvious here in hawaii. i have all my window tinted. i even have a clear film on my windwhield for heat blocking. if you had your eyes closed while riding in my car, it would be very hard to determine if it were night or day.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:25 PM
DBTRACK

Originally Posted by Vestax350
cooler... I feel a big difference especially in the summertime.
yeah...and it makes it warmer in the winter.....
Old 05-08-2007, 08:39 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tint makesd a huge difference. I have a reflectrive irridium coated tint and it reflects much of the suns energy and keeps the car interior noticable cooler.

JET
Old 05-08-2007, 08:43 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Agree. Tinted windows may reduce radiation heat, but not conduction or convection.

Quick Reply: Window Tint: Makes car cooler?