Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel re-wrap

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 08:09 AM
Conceyted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Thanks for your inquiry. The cost to recover your steering wheel to factory new specifications is $250 plus $15 shipping. We can use black or silver stitching. I don not have any pictures like you requested as many wheels were done without having pictures taken. The stitch pattern we use is a baseball stitch. Turnaround is about 1 week. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Melinda
www.craftcustoms.com
214-564-1170
892 Steger Towne Rd., #59
Rockwall, Texas 75032
So they want 250 PLUS shipping AND they want to keep your wheel for a week. LMAO
Old 08-15-2007, 08:31 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just as long as it looks perfect and lasts a while I wouldn't say the cost is too horrible.

However it would definitely have to be done with a spare wheel.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:36 AM
deezz

That price is not that bad at all. Just have to figure out how to get a spare steering wheel.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:33 AM
Conceyted

Well, if someone steps up and buys a core, I think we could possibly pass it around and whoever gets stuck with the core gets stuck with it. I mean if we started a thread and each person charged the same amount for the core then no one would lose any money. Or we could do it so that each person charged 25 dollars less for the core so we all end up putting in like 25 bucks to use the core. I guess that is our options. Or we all buy second steering wheels and end up spending 600 dollars to rewrap our steering wheels.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:08 PM
lowrider

Originally Posted by Conceyted
No offense, Lou, but those things look hideous. It doesnt look so bad on your car there but some of those pictures make me cringe. I dont mind spending an hour or even 3 rewraping my steering wheel but I honestly want more than a cover.
Well, sorry I posted. My wife likes it, and I think it looks good; feels good to, better than my factory wrapped wheel.

Lou
Old 08-15-2007, 03:09 PM
Conceyted

Originally Posted by lowrider
Well, sorry I posted. My wife likes it, and I think it looks good; feels good to, better than my factory wrapped wheel.

Lou
Lou, I apologize for the way my post came off. I am glad that you posted.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:37 AM
meshugineh

Default Other possibilities

I'm going to look around the Tampa area for someone who does custom interiors. They should be able to do this, the question is how much...

I'll let you know what I find. If you know someone for this in Tampa/Sarasota/Bradenton let me know.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:03 AM
ARMSTRONGARMS

There will be people that will do it, but i dont think you'll find a much better price as blind stitching takes some time, and that's really what your paying for is labor.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:05 AM
ARMSTRONGARMS

some of you guys post pics of your damaged/worn wheels and i can see if some of my repairs would work? would only cost you a very little but you'd have to take the wheel of to do it right
Old 08-21-2007, 05:19 PM
meshugineh

Default Picture

Here is a picture of my issue. You can see that the initial wear and tear eventually got the best of me and I started picking at it...alright alright, so i get a bit anxious in traffic! Luckily it's only the top section that needs to be redone, hopefully that will spare me having to rewrap the entire wheel.

Let me know how much you think it would cost.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Get_Zwole

i think it would look sweet with orange stitching to match the charcoal leather in the tourings anybody else?
Old 08-21-2007, 07:14 PM
Conceyted

Originally Posted by meshugineh
Here is a picture of my issue. You can see that the initial wear and tear eventually got the best of me and I started picking at it...alright alright, so i get a bit anxious in traffic! Luckily it's only the top section that needs to be redone, hopefully that will spare me having to rewrap the entire wheel.

=-o thats some wear there. mine is just chafing some on the left hand side
Old 08-21-2007, 08:50 PM
davidz33

Back when I had Z32, I heard so many good stories about www.importextreme.com. I'm not sure if these guys are geared toward only Z32, but they do a heck of a work. They are in Dallas, so some one local should try them.
BTW, that steering wheel looks awful, conceyted. I hope you can find a solution soon.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:52 PM
Amiricanmade

I think the steering wheel with thicker leather would be really cool. I always think the steering wheel is too thing.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:00 PM
Conceyted

Originally Posted by davidz33
Back when I had Z32, I heard so many good stories about www.importextreme.com. I'm not sure if these guys are geared toward only Z32, but they do a heck of a work. They are in Dallas, so some one local should try them.
BTW, that steering wheel looks awful, conceyted. I hope you can find a solution soon.
thats not mine i just quoted the picture! but i do agree that really needs replacing
Old 08-22-2007, 04:19 AM
meshugineh

Default Maybe I can just remove it

Ok so it's a bit worn...sheesh...maybe if I keep picking at it I can just remove the top layer of leather...that would be sooooo custom!
Old 08-23-2007, 09:03 AM
ARMSTRONGARMS

Originally Posted by meshugineh

yes that's beyond a repair and would have to be rewrapped, i would search ebay for a factorry wheel? i wasnt expecting that much damage
Old 08-29-2007, 12:12 AM
frenzee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first got my '03 I wrapped the wheel in tennis racquet pro grip (Wilson's black synthetic suede type). I aslo pre-wrapped a layer of thin blue foam they use for athletic bandage to protect the leather against bandage stripes. I admit, aesthetically it's not ideal, but it gives the wheel a fatter radius and the driving feel and grip are absolutely superb, far better than the stock leather or any aftermarket wheels I've seen. I always get comments about it by valets. As a side benefit, the leather underneath looks like day one. The downside is that you need to change it once a year or so, and yes it does take an hour or more to put on properly. If anyone cares for pix, lemme know, but it's pretty much like you would imagine it.

Last edited by frenzee; 08-29-2007 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:42 AM
lowrider

And, just to keep the pot boiling, here's a pict of my truck wrapped, again, with a wheelskin. Doesn't look hideous to me

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel re-wrap-truck-steer-wheel-01.jpg  
Old 10-08-2007, 12:43 PM
meshugineh

Default Wrapped

I got the wheel wrapped in a black wheelskin at Anthony's Custom Restyling this past weekend. It cost me ~80 and took close to an hour.

I'll be the first one to admit that I was skeptical at the pictures of wheelskins, it just didn't look clean. That being said I'm about the happiest camper right now with the way things turned out, it looks really good and feels infinitely better then stock.

Ramon, the old skool tech, at the shop told me I'd be impressed with it and I must say that it actually feels better to drive it with the skin on.

It may end up impacting my resale value as I try to sell this thing this next month, but I highly doubt it. If I get some time this week I'll post a picture.