Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: how much would you be interested in it for?
100$
20.56%
200$
32.71%
300$
28.04%
400$
3.74%
500$
2.80%
600$
1.87%
nope, dont want it.
10.28%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Anyone interested in LED tail lights(a la concept Z)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 08:31 AM
CLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey ares, let me know how this turns out. I think a smoked clear lense would look tight on a silverstone. Are you taking classes this summer or just working on the Z?
Old 05-05-2003, 08:38 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well they will not do it, it seems no one wants to mess with an automotive part. they CAN do it, but they wont do it.

donno what to say about that, Im looking for more places, but custom injection molding companies arent real easy to find.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:49 PM
Slexis200

if your going to buy so many leds, 64 per light, per person, you should get a much better deal! But yes i understand now why it would cost alot. Sorry, if i insulted
Old 05-05-2003, 07:06 PM
ares
Veteran

yes I would, but white LEDs are pricey, even when buying at bulk discounts they are ~1 each. better than 1.50 each, but still ~120$ in LEDs.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:39 PM
ChinaClipper

Originally posted by ares
the tail light only consists of 2 peices, the back side, and the clear outside.

since I would not intend on modifying anything on the outside lens part. it might be worth it to have that remade as well(very easy to make a mold of that), meaning I could make it out of true smoked glass(only other alternative is to paint the outside of the lens, ) also I could make the lens out of 100% clear glass for white tail lights.
ARES, beware that one of the reasons your prospective subcontractor might of backed out was because the DOT has regulations about automotive light lenses. Any "new" lense assembly must be certified and tested by an independent lab to DOT standards before sale or use on a car. Look at commercially available lenses on the market today, they must have a "DOT APPROVED" logo on them to sell to the public. More costs to certify - thats why not everyone is in the market of selling tail and head lights. Food for thought for you, and another cost to factor in if you do not modify OEM lenses, but create your own from new.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:30 PM
ares
Veteran

ah I see, makes sense, Ill look into that and see what is involved it getting it DOT approved, Id like to be able to keep this legal, as it should be(for the red and smoked versions). tho, I THINK you can sell any light for offroad use only. as many totally clear tails are. same goes for clear front reflectors, they are not legal.
Old 05-06-2003, 04:10 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default White LEDs

Are you really planning on white LEDs?

Typically white LEDs cost more than red ones and are less efficient. For an LED to look white they produce a UV LED and coat it with a white phosphor. That makes it white, but it also limits the brightness.

I believe the red LEDs with the clear lenses are the brightest and the best deal in brightness/dollar.

I have a VERY bright LED tail/brake light for my motorcycle. All the LEDs are clear lense w/ red light except for one row of white LEDs to illuminate the license plate. It is KILLER bright.

I got it at http://www.radiantz.com

I am not an LED experts, but I wanted to mention this since the white LEDs will cost more. If you are just going to put them behind red lenses you might as well save a few $$ and get red LEDs.

Just my $.02. Not intended as a flame or anything.

AndyB
Old 05-06-2003, 09:22 AM
ares
Veteran

I was planning on white behind a red lens. but yes red are cheaper.

which LED color I choose doesnt even matter that much yet, white or red that can be chosen later. but if the lens is clear the tail light would be white or black most likely. the tail lights now are chromed on the inside with red lens and a clear bulb.

I need to open up a tail light, that would let me modify it, and reseal the lens onto a new back, bypassing the DOT standards and all of that. but tail lights are 300$ EACH!(another reason why Im trying hard to even keep this at 300$ a pair) and right now I cant risk my own tail light by opening it up. just too expensive.

once I find a way to make the back peice, I will be more daring with my own tail lights, but I dont want to open it up untill I have proof positive that someone can make the part I need. once someone can make the part, and I open mine up, thats it, add LEDs and plug it in.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:35 AM
mytalon

Maybe you can find a taillight at the junkyard fairly inexpensive.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:39 AM
ares
Veteran

yeah, I have an email to z1 motorsports, waiting for a reply, they have lemanZ totalled car, bout 30 miles from me, but in the past they havent been too cheap... they wanted 120 for a 170 part, and 2000 for the nav.

we'll see what they say tho.
Old 05-06-2003, 04:25 PM
dreamznblu

Definately interested, I would go for the smoked tailights too. Keep me posted!!!

Old 05-07-2003, 07:48 PM
N74DV

injection molding is VERY expensive to tool for. The initial costs are insane. You begin to make money only after producing thousands of parts.

Good luck but the intial invenstment for injection molding is probably way beyond what you want to spend.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:11 PM
ares
Veteran

might very well be correct. still trying to figure it out.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:15 PM
DaKine-Z-

there still may be hope....

I was part of the Plastics Technology Cluster offered by my High School years back 95-97. I know the instructor very well and also have come to find out that he is still teaching there. This program offered at Skyline HS in Dallas, TX has various injection molding machines, extruders and what have you. Now, what I can do is go to him asking if this would be something he would consider doing either for a minimal profit or assignment for his students.

ARES, PM me if you are serious about this so we can possibly work out all the details.....
-Ricky-
Old 05-08-2003, 11:16 AM
ares
Veteran

I have actually already found a firm that will produce the parts for me, Im working to find out final price on it, my only hurdle remaining is to create a cad drawing of what I need, otherwise create a master peice myself. they will do it for me for 300-1000$, eh, rather do it myself if I can save that little start up cost.

first order is going to be for 20 tail lights I expect. I still need to contact nissan, not sure, to see if they mind me making this part. Im not sure if Im going to contact them yet, its still very small scale.

I also need to see about contacting nissans supplier of lenses to see if I can buy them straight from them(should cut the price) modifying the stock tail lights is risky, the lens needs to be heated and pulled apart... dont really like that idea so much, out of 20 tail lights if I break 2, and have to replace them at 300$ a peice... plus youd have to send your tail lights in to me, ect.

I can and will sell just the back, if you wish to attempt at opening your own tail light and sealing it, but if you do that, your on your own if it breaks... I just cant take on that responsibility due to the cost of a stock tail light.

lastly, I plan to get these dot approved, I see no reason why they shouldn't be.

I can and will offer smoked and clear lenses, atleast that is the current plan. both will be for offroad/show use only, clears are just plain illegal(tho it will still light up red), and as of this time I dont care to get 2 different lights(red and smoked) DOT approved. but I most likely will eventually, Im not yet certain if DOT approval is retroactive or not, meaning past lights are DOT approved.

then again, they are no more illegal than most tints on here, or clear sidemarkers.

will keep you updated, Im still at college, finishing finals, but next week production begins.

Last edited by ares; 05-08-2003 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:26 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Thumbs up

I just want to commend you if for anything the "effort & concept".
Good luck on this and keep me posted.......
Old 05-08-2003, 06:27 PM
ares
Veteran

there are actually no bulbs or anything of that nature involving the turn signal in the tail light housing...

but as I said next up is the turn signal combo light.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:45 PM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm definitely interested... give it a go and keep us posted.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:56 AM
WashUJon

I would really like something along the lines of the Z concept: red lense with red LEDs. I don't like the idea of clear lenses on the Z. I just don't think it looks good. Red lenses with the LEDs would be a subtle yet very cool change, IMO. I REALLY dig the G's lights...
Old 05-09-2003, 09:59 AM
300ZX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just out of the blue, i was driving the concept Z in gran turismo 3, and i think those tail light kinda suck. just my opinion though, i would never get them for my car; they look cheesy and boring when lit up

Quick Reply: Anyone interested in LED tail lights(a la concept Z)