Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: how much would you be interested in it for?
100$
20.56%
200$
32.71%
300$
28.04%
400$
3.74%
500$
2.80%
600$
1.87%
nope, dont want it.
10.28%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Anyone interested in LED tail lights(a la concept Z)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 04:29 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone interested in LED tail lights(a la concept Z)

ok, Im trying to gauge interest on something before I take the time.

I am considering creating a custom peice that will transform the tail lights to LEDs as the concept Z was. to do this right, I feel a custom fiberglass peice needs to be fabricated. which I can do, but to do this is no small task, many days of work and lots of materials. I have not made fiberglass like this in quite a few years back when I made RC boat hulls. but this is a bit more difficult.

anyway, before I open up my tail light and begin work on this mold and create a set, I need to know if anyone would be interested in buying them, and at what cost you would be interested in them.

the purchase setup would be on a rolling part setup, I send you the LED tails, you return me the stock set when you receive them. a deposit would be required of course due to the high cost of tail lights.

anyway, please vote for what youd be interested in, and at what cost. if your interested at all. I honestly have no clue what cost they would run, Id have to figure out total cost of materials first and labor required.

also feel free to comment.

this was the concept Z with LED taillights, I have not yet been able to find a picture of them lit up, but I am searching.

Last edited by ares; 05-03-2003 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-03-2003, 06:24 PM
ares
Veteran

my goal is to shoot for under 300$ a set, I just went out and took a very close look at the tail lights. and now Im proceding to design phase. if I can get even 5 people interested(which it already seems there is) I think this would be worth while.

I think this is very much a possibility. Im currently hoping to have a prototype ready in about 2 weeks. hoping....
Old 05-03-2003, 06:42 PM
ares
Veteran

not sure what you mean by that, but I do not intend to cover the tail light in any way, this peice would be molded into the inside of the tail light. nothing different from the outside.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:47 PM
rouxeny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested, but of course I'd have to see the finished product first. I'd bet you could get $300 a set depending how they looked. I'm assuming you'd be getting your own lights back, once they'd been modified.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:32 AM
ares
Veteran

I havent gotten to that part, those lights are MUCHO dinero, so I would have to lay out the money for a spare set since I dont think too many people want to be without tail lights for a week or 2. but then suddenly initial cost jumps up 700$ or so... and Ill never get that back Ill just have a spare set of lights.

please give ideas, if I make this, Im thinking about making a few styles of molds.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:54 AM
toykilla

i would be interested depending on how they look, cant commit to what u cant see
Old 05-04-2003, 09:01 AM
ares
Veteran

wow VQ thanks ALOT, that is perfect.

that is what I would be going for, identical to that then.

however the shape of the lights changed a bit, the reflector portion on top was made larger.

I am trying to figure out a way to make the reflector light up as well, but Im just not sure that there is the room behind it for an LED to fit. this is actually the only problematic portion left...

however it should be very possible to make it as that picture suggests.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone interested in LED tail lights(a la concept Z)-im001211.jpg  
Old 05-04-2003, 04:50 PM
Slexis200

Maybe $100 per pair, id probobly buy it for that much. But even if they were really cool, i probobly wouldnt buy it for much more than that.
Old 05-04-2003, 05:21 PM
ares
Veteran

well as you can see in the picture, they used 64LEDs per light, Im not saying the ones I make will have exactly 64 since the shape changed from the concept to the production, but thats 128LEDs total. which comes out to atleast 150$ just for the LEDs.

but I dont think anyone would be satisfied with the appearance of fiberglass there, so Im waiting on a quote for a custom injection molded peice for it. which should give the highest quality possible.

I am actually going through and retrofitting every light in the Z to LEDs. I started with the reflector which Im waiting on the LEDs to be delivered for the prototype, now im working on tail lights, next up is the turnsignal/backup light, as well as modifying the side mirrors to include LED turn signals.

Last edited by ares; 05-04-2003 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:02 PM
christurismohk

Maybe $100 per pair, id probobly buy it for that much. But even if they were really cool, i probobly wouldnt buy it for much more than that.
ditto
Old 05-04-2003, 09:55 PM
JZC

Interested
Old 05-04-2003, 10:53 PM
jetjammer

Count me as interested. While you're at it, how about smoked lenses?
Old 05-05-2003, 03:21 AM
Alev

Real interesting project, ares. Like everyone, I can't wait to see pics.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:35 AM
WashUJon

I would love to see a prototype. I think the idea has merit and I definitely like the LEDs on the G35...
Old 05-05-2003, 06:53 AM
MaximumPwr

I was behind a G35 Couple a couple weeks ago and the LED tail lights looked real good. I am suprised Nissan did not make the Z like this from the factory. I am interested, but it really depends on cost and quality of the design.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:44 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Interested but

I am interested but would need to see it before comitting.

I would be most interested if there is a high density of LEDs so that the light looks more even. Sparse LEDs would look a little cheap I think.

Also I need to wait and see that the convertible uses the same lights. I think the lights are the same (judging by the pictures) but until I have it I won't be sure.

AndyB
Old 05-05-2003, 07:57 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Ares. I think you're on to something bro'.

The concept vehicles setup is PERFECT! I for one would pay $300-$400 for a similar setup. Those requesting them for $100 a pair...........

Your car is an extension/expression of oneself. I for one would NOT put anything cheap or cheesy for that matter on any of my rides! And I can't imagine them coming out any way but that, for a mere Benjamin.

TX
Old 05-05-2003, 08:25 AM
ares
Veteran

Im still waiting for the reply from the platic company, but I did get to thinking, my plan was to remake the entire backside of the light, its 1 peice now, and I think it should be 1 peice later.

the tail light only consists of 2 peices, the back side, and the clear outside.

since I would not intend on modifying anything on the outside lens part. it might be worth it to have that remade as well(very easy to make a mold of that), meaning I could make it out of true smoked glass(only other alternative is to paint the outside of the lens, ) also I could make the lens out of 100% clear glass for white tail lights.

the biggest benifit is that there is no modifying of the stock tail lights, no sending them to me to be worked on. a much more convenient system.

now if that place would just email me back! forget this Im calling.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:25 AM
mytalon

Originally posted by jetjammer
Count me as interested. While you're at it, how about smoked lenses?
Ditto

Quick Reply: Anyone interested in LED tail lights(a la concept Z)