Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aerosync - Paint Adhering Problem?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 04:41 AM
Silkk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerosync - Paint Adhering Problem?!

I have an Aerosync front end that's been painted and on my car for a couple months now. However, the paint doesn't adhere to the bumper very well it seems; the body shop pointed out he had to paint it a few times before it stuck to his liking and even then he wasn't satisfied, so he told me to bring it back if it wasn't holding up. Which I will end up doing, but not before I figure out why it's not adhering.

He has painted eurethane before, including a eurethane bumper I had prior and the paint was fine. He uses the flex additive and does all the other normal eurethane prep items as far as I know. He mentioned something about possibly needing to "bake" the raw, black eurethane so the oils can come out of it prior to paint, but said he's never had to do this before on a eurethane front prior and the paint always stayed on just fine.

Does anyone have any clue if this is necessary for the aerosync? Any other ideas why paint won't adhere. I'm already getting a little bit of chipping where I've bottomed the bumper out once, etc. Flaking off/Chipping paint off as opposed to just small scratches like you would normally see when bottoming out a bumper. Also, some curvy places of the bumper (in the grill area) are starting to do some tiny bubble thing and if you press on them at all while cleaning, etc. they will crack and eventually these will chip. When it chips, it chips down to raw black eurethane as opposed to primer...

He said he would prep and repaint the bumper for free prior and he'll keep his word I'm sure, but I'm not going to waste his time until I know exactly what needs done. Any ideas?
Old 06-27-2007, 04:44 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the bodyshop that painted mine is very high end. They told me they had to scuff up the aerosync bumper pretty good because it was so slick, added urathane additive and flex additives in the clear as well. Are you bringing your stuff to a quality place?
Old 06-27-2007, 06:51 PM
Silkk

The body shop is knowledgeable with how to paint eurethane. As I noted they painted eurethane pieces I've had prior and the paint adhered perfectly... It's just this aerosync brand piece.

I did a search and someone recommended setting it in the sun to allow it to "cure" - similar to the shops "baking" idea. Can anyone confirm this? Maybe one of the vendors?
Old 06-27-2007, 06:57 PM
SuperBlack350z

it's spelled urathane. My aerosync was baked and left outside for two days in the at the bodyshop. After installation, paint was really soft still. But i dont' understand how they bodyshop you bring your stuff too knows what they are doing but still paint chips off of it. It's not scientific math to paint something. Ask them are they scuffing it up for it to adhere.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:04 PM
wckdclw

Originally Posted by Silkk
I have an Aerosync front end that's been painted and on my car for a couple months now. However, the paint doesn't adhere to the bumper very well it seems; the body shop pointed out he had to paint it a few times before it stuck to his liking and even then he wasn't satisfied, so he told me to bring it back if it wasn't holding up. Which I will end up doing, but not before I figure out why it's not adhering.

He has painted eurethane before, including a eurethane bumper I had prior and the paint was fine. He uses the flex additive and does all the other normal eurethane prep items as far as I know. He mentioned something about possibly needing to "bake" the raw, black eurethane so the oils can come out of it prior to paint, but said he's never had to do this before on a eurethane front prior and the paint always stayed on just fine.

Does anyone have any clue if this is necessary for the aerosync? Any other ideas why paint won't adhere. I'm already getting a little bit of chipping where I've bottomed the bumper out once, etc. Flaking off/Chipping paint off as opposed to just small scratches like you would normally see when bottoming out a bumper. Also, some curvy places of the bumper (in the grill area) are starting to do some tiny bubble thing and if you press on them at all while cleaning, etc. they will crack and eventually these will chip. When it chips, it chips down to raw black eurethane as opposed to primer...

He said he would prep and repaint the bumper for free prior and he'll keep his word I'm sure, but I'm not going to waste his time until I know exactly what needs done. Any ideas?

he has to strip the bumper now, repainting it wont make it adhere, for a raw plastic, all you do is get a plastic cleaner and yellow scuff pad, spray the plastic cleaner on it and scuff, then in the spray booth, put plastic adhesion promoter on the whole bumper, seal it, base it, clear it, done
Old 06-27-2007, 07:21 PM
Silkk

They used the plastic "cleaner", they scuffed it, they used adhesion promoter (a lot supposedly), they used flex additive in the paint... Still didn't adhere 100%. It's not chipping all over or without help. Like I said, I've bottomed it out which led to some chipping, etc.

Anyway, they know what they are doing as they did everything except "baking" it b/c it wasn't very warm outside to bake it when the car was there (couple months back now) and they didn't have any type of "oven" etc. to bake a piece this big. They knew they may even need to "bake" it to get it to adhere appropriately, so they were even knowledgeable regarding that; they just had never had to do it before b/c the plastic cleaner, scuff, adhesion promote, flex additive, prime, paint process worked fine for all other urethane they've painted; including other pieces of my stuff...

Thanks for confirming you may need to bake. I'll have them strip, bake, and retry once it gets bad enough...
Old 06-27-2007, 07:29 PM
wckdclw

well i meant bake as in paint booth bake, not sit outside bake, another problem that may come up is that stripping raw plastic is hard to do and time consuming, i need some pics though, then i could tell you pretty much exactly what to do
Old 06-27-2007, 07:42 PM
chris'smax

Originally Posted by Silkk
They used the plastic "cleaner", they scuffed it, they used adhesion promoter (a lot supposedly), they used flex additive in the paint... Still didn't adhere 100%. It's not chipping all over or without help. Like I said, I've bottomed it out which led to some chipping, etc.

Anyway, they know what they are doing as they did everything except "baking" it b/c it wasn't very warm outside to bake it when the car was there (couple months back now) and they didn't have any type of "oven" etc. to bake a piece this big. They knew they may even need to "bake" it to get it to adhere appropriately, so they were even knowledgeable regarding that; they just had never had to do it before b/c the plastic cleaner, scuff, adhesion promote, flex additive, prime, paint process worked fine for all other urethane they've painted; including other pieces of my stuff...

Thanks for confirming you may need to bake. I'll have them strip, bake, and retry once it gets bad enough...

Bottoming out will result in the paint chipping on urethane no matter what they do to it based on my experience.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:43 PM
lonewolf

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350
it's spelled urathane.
urethane

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
u·re·thane /ˈyʊərəˌθeɪn/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[yoor-uh-theyn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun Chemistry.
1. any derivative of carbamic acid having the formula CH2NO2R.
2. Also called ethyl carbamate, ethyl urethane. a white, crystalline, water-soluble powder, C3H7NO2: used chiefly as a solvent, in organic synthesis, as a fungicide and pesticide, and formerly in cancer treatment.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:44 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by chris'smax
Bottoming out will result in the paint chipping on urethane no matter what they do to it based on my experience.
yeah, but if not painted right, paint will flake off of those chips which in his case. High pressure wash would flake teh rest of his paint off the bumper.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:45 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by lonewolf
urethane

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
u·re·thane /ˈyʊərəˌθeɪn/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[yoor-uh-theyn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun Chemistry.
1. any derivative of carbamic acid having the formula CH2NO2R.
2. Also called ethyl carbamate, ethyl urethane. a white, crystalline, water-soluble powder, C3H7NO2: used chiefly as a solvent, in organic synthesis, as a fungicide and pesticide, and formerly in cancer treatment.

sorry, i knew that, typed to fast.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:46 PM
wckdclw

Originally Posted by chris'smax
it shouldnt chip, just scrape, and he said its bubbling too which meants its just reacting with the plastic, i think he may have missed the grill opening with either scuffing it or with the promoter,
Old 06-28-2007, 03:21 AM
Silkk

Thanks for the help fellas. I didn't mean to make it sound like the bumper was terrible looking. Here is a pic of the car about 2 weeks ago; as you can see no visible damage/chipping at that distance. There is some tiny bit of chipping on the bottom lip part, center and passenger side, but like I said not even visible at this angle/distance:

It's not terrible though, like everyone is picturing.

And it's not flaking off for no reason to this point, although there is some bubbling which I assume is going to flake someday. Whoever stated above though about urethane flaking if flexed enough is correct and that is what happened on the passenger side bottom. However now i need to be very careful with that place when I wash the car or whatever b/c it seems to be it would keep flaking if messed with.

Either way the shop is going to fix her up for free whenever it needs it, so its not really a biggy. I'll suggest they scub and scuff it up more the next time (although he said he did a lot of scuffing last time) and maybe try sitting it in the sun (now that its summer) after stripped and before doing anything.

Should work out fine...
Old 06-28-2007, 03:53 AM
Silkk

I'll take some close-ups of the flaking/bubble areas this weekend when I'm back in town for y'all to look at and provide thoughts. Even they don't look terrible NOW b/c I touched them up a bit with touchup and they're so low on the bumper... If all the bubbled areas crack and peel though, it's definitely going to need redone sometime...