Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Veilside v1 front lip dropped!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:35 AM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Veilside v1 front lip dropped!

The center section of the v1 lip dropped down onto the road while I was cruisin'. I even went ahead a couple of weeks ago where I attached tiny sheet metal screws into the bumper as it wraps around in the wheel well area.
The v1 lip is also secured with two 9mm bolts, one on each end plus double sided tape for the center section. Originally, it was a real b!tch getting it on in fact I needed help from a buddy of mine...a very good snug fit and I never would think that the center section would drop right down onto the road as it did. I scraped the bottom some but the top visable section of the lip was not affected with any scratches. Masking tape came to the rescue!!

Has this happen to anyone else here?
What double sided tape do the pros use?
What would your permanent fix be beside some more double sided tape?
I'm thinking on adding more tape plus Gorilla Glue in the top center section of the bumper where the lip is attached.

Any other comments, ideas or tricks would be appreciative.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:04 PM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use silicone adhesive. Works great and not too bad to get off if you ever remove it.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:11 AM
sluggoZ

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
Use silicone adhesive. Works great and not too bad to get off if you ever remove it.
Thanks!
Old 07-03-2007, 10:42 AM
reserved

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

any particular brand of silicone adhesive you would recommend?????
(I will be installing V1 lip and OEM style spoiler, hopefully in the next few days)
Old 07-03-2007, 11:00 AM
benDF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3m tape works quite well when the surface has been properly treated before attaching. I have been in the aero business for many years, and have never had to use any other type of adhesive for installation.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:07 AM
nothingremains

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

off topic question, do you have any side shots with this installed? i wanted to see how much this lip lowers your front end
Old 07-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Mazinger Z

Sorry for going OT, but where did you get that grill? Is it 3 pieces?
Old 07-03-2007, 01:53 PM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by reserved
any particular brand of silicone adhesive you would recommend?????
(I will be installing V1 lip and OEM style spoiler, hopefully in the next few days)
Just standard, clear silicone adhesive. I have the V1 front and rear. I cleaned the area really well and used the supplied 3M tape, which worked fine in the front, other than a small gap below the reflectors. I just shot some silicone in the gap and set something heavy (padded with a rag) on the floor and scooted it up agaust the lip to hold it in place overnight; no gap and it hasn't budged in over a year. On the rear, the tape failed in several places and it started to droop the day after I installed it. Silicone fixed it right up as well. I also used it to hold down my JDM Nismo v1 wing tips to the hatch and hold my RSW CF interior kit in place where the 3M tape failed.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:17 AM
sluggoZ

Originally Posted by bugsbbunny
Sorry for going OT, but where did you get that grill? Is it 3 pieces?

Yes, it's my one of a kind grill...3 pieces made of 1/2" u shape solid polyurethane with a silver satin finish and not available anywhere. It won't chip. crack or crinkle. Secured with adhesive tape & black cable ties on each wrap-around end corners. I love that bold look!!! A couple of years ago I tried to put a feeler out if anyone else was interested but I did not get enough bites!

Here's what I ended up doing with my v1 lip. I replaced the double sided tape on each front corners. I added across on my center section of the lower bumper 2 rows of double sided tape & with gorilla glue in between....where the center section of the lip is attached to the bumper. I held it down in place with painters masking tape and I wrapped 4 bricks with some old rugs and place them underneath for support so hopefully everything is attached. It was held this way for over 24 hours...I took a short 12 mile trip and so far everything is held in place.

So, the bottom line is...anyone who is about to attach a v1 lip, my advice is to add a ton of double sided tape along with an adhesive or glue & hold everything in place for a long period of time before using.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:33 AM
sluggoZ

Originally Posted by nothingremains
off topic question, do you have any side shots with this installed? i wanted to see how much this lip lowers your front end
The lip sets appox. 4 & 1/4" off the ground.