Sponsored by:

So…here’s what I’m thinking…

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Risky_Business
Quadrant 987c

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb So…here’s what I’m thinking…

I really am happy with the way my car looks and performs. I’ve tried to keep a balance of cosmetic additions and have three performance part updates (intake, exhaust and plenum spacer, with the hopes of new headers before the end of the season here).

I have stock 2006 wheels and to be honest I like the way the look. I also want to get at least one more year out of them before upgrading to 19’s, so these will be updated this time next year.

That being the case, I am really restless and have been having visions of ways to spruce things up. To date, my mind-set has been to maintain subtle aggression (this will be more evident in the pix). Everything from my colour of choice to body kit I have been picked with this in mine to maintain an understated appeal.

While I am pleased with this, I realize that the Z itself is in fact an aggressively designed vehicle and I want to explore it further.

I am thinking of going CF on top. I already have silver carbon fiber a & b pillars. I am thinking of a carbon fiber hood and hatch paint matched to Silverstone. I know some guys have left the CF black but I prefer a straight match on all body panels.

Any recommendations on the best site to buy from? I am thinking either going with one of the Seibon designs or the keeping the oem look. I am leaning towards painting a Seibon because I really like some of the designs.

OEM hood (colour)

http://www.importprecision.com/carbo...issan_350z.htm

Seibon Hood and Hatch (to be painted)

http://www.seiboncarbon.com/pdut_det...asp?ItemID=325

http://www.seiboncarbon.com/pdut_det...asp?ItemID=324

I would want to do the pillars above the windows as well in addition to the roof but I have not been able to find pix of this yet.

One question, if I did the hatch, would it be possible to take the glass out of my oem one and simply sub it in?

Helpful info is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Ps. Hope everyone had a great Canada Day…and happy early fourth of July all!
Attached Thumbnails -n507727064_104093_7743-1-.jpg   -n507727064_104094_7971-1-.jpg   -n507727064_104098_8914-1-.jpg   -n507727064_104115_2930-1-.jpg   -n507727064_104120_4127-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Risky_Business; 07-01-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Dio1988

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think your car is really nice just the way it is. but if ur painting the hatch than u mine as hell get the CF just because of the weight. i would rather see you go with the oem hood, it's not too much and it will be a nice upgrade. theres my 2 cents
Old 07-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Risky_Business
Quadrant 987c

Default Thanks for your compliments and opinion...

does anyone have pix of a painted carbon fiber hood and hatch on Silverstone...? I definitely think the carbon fiber hatch would be an improvement weight wise but I can't decide on a hood design.

Last edited by Risky_Business; 07-01-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:25 PM
supra crazy

Your car looks good as is just get 19's a drop and get that ugly grill off Then you will be set. Theres no need for CR roof roof a pillars and hatch it will just look tacky.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Jim@Showstoppers
Banned

Originally Posted by Risky_Business
does anyone have pix of a painted carbon fiber hood and hatch on Silverstone...? I definitely think the carbon fiber hatch would be an improvement weight wise but I can't decide on a hood design.
I'm your man if you need Seibon.

The hood wont save much if any weight. The hatch itself will only drop 5-10lbs depending on how many interior pieces you put on. I'd say if your doing it for weight reduction you'd have to get lexan glass. That should drop the rear weight 30lbs or so. Otherwise you can put your OEM glass back in, but you really wont be saving much weight.

Jim
Old 07-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Risky_Business
Quadrant 987c

Default Hey...

thanks...it's not really about weight. It's more so aesthetics. What are the results of a CF hood painted Silverstone?
Old 07-02-2007, 05:14 AM
chewychew

car looks nice, ive never seen anyone paint their b-pillar? is that painted or like the cf sticker? interesting
Old 07-02-2007, 05:30 AM
SweetDreamZ

thanks...it's not really about weight. It's more so aesthetics. What are the results of a CF hood painted Silverstone?

I don't understand why you are doing this? If you paint over CF back to silverstone...no one will see any difference in your car...so that would lead me to believe this is for weight reduction...except you just said it's not. So basically...you are going to dump several thousand(after paint and install) into your car...to have it look exactly the same?

How about you just send me 2k to save yourself some money, and tell everyone it's CF...cuz they won't know anyways? That is...unless....you are going to do one of the paint jobs that shows the CF thru the paint...i think it's just the tinted clear that they put on...

just my 2 cents...
Old 07-02-2007, 06:36 AM
Risky_Business
Quadrant 987c

Default The idea is that either...

the design would be different (ie. one of the Seibon models) or stick with the OEM look with CF showing...like in this pic.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:53 AM
SweetDreamZ

the design would be different (ie. one of the Seibon models) or stick with the OEM look with CF showing...like in this pic.

i'm not a big fan of the colored CF look myself...but to each his own...

Don't get me wrong...I love CF...like the Seibon Front fenders when they leave the vent CF showing and then fade to body color...that's hot. Or...like my Seibon TS hood...where the vents are left CF, but the rest is body colored. It can be done nicely...I just thought you meant you were going for OEM style replacement, and painted car color. Made no sense to me...

Here's a pic of the hood I like....(mine )

Old 07-02-2007, 08:45 AM
Risky_Business
Quadrant 987c

Default Finally...

we're starting to get a visual of what I have in my mind. Excellent pix SweetDreamZ. I wonder how the Seibon hood would look on my Silverstone above (paint matched to SS with the vents left black CF). I have a black CF Z hood emblem so that may match nicely.

Trying to envision it in pix 2, 4 and 5.

I know of an excellent body place that did my kit.

Is it difficult to paint CF? Perhpas I could "tint" the entire hood SS allowing the CF to remain showing (just thinking out loud...I can't decide! lol)

Silly question but...how is this in the rain?

Last edited by Risky_Business; 07-02-2007 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:21 AM
SweetDreamZ

we're starting to get a visual of what I have in my mind. Excellent pix SweetDreamZ. I wonder how the Seibon hood would look on my Silverstone above (paint matched to SS with the vents left black CF). I have a black CF Z hood emblem so that may match nicely.

Trying to envision it in pix 2, 4 and 5.

I know of an excellent body place that did my kit.

Is it difficult to paint CF? Perhpas I could "tint" the entire hood SS allowing the CF to remain showing (just thinking out loud...I can't decide! lol)

Silly question but...how is this in the rain?

It's fine in the rain. And if you are interested in this style hood, I will warn you, there has been a recurring theme with them lately...very wavy center portions. I've actually got a second one sitting in my living room that has that problem. However my body shop could fix it like they fixed the one i have on my car. They could also prep the hood for paint...as painting CF can lead to many problems...the resin the use on the hood will form bubbles under the paint if not prepped properly. If you are interested, we could maybe work something out on that hood....prepped properly from my body shop...they you'd just have to have it painted at your shop to match your car...feel free to contact me about this if you want.

By the way...here is a pic of a silver Z with this hood and paint scheme...i think it's not the same silver as yours...but it'll give you a good idea...

Old 07-02-2007, 09:42 AM
gsazabi

Your car looks good. Very clean
Just add 19s with some aggressive offsets, drop it, and get a vented CF hood.
I like the Asuka and Seibon TS hood a lot as well. In your case I think the TS will look better.

I was going for clean/subtle look myself, however after going to the
Huntington Beach meet, I really need to spice up my Z lol
My car will be going through ver.2 looks which will be a lot more aggressive.