Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

performance of body kits

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 12:52 PM
toykilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance of body kits

There seems to be ALOT of talk regarding the looks of the various body kits available. But are any of the companies testing these kits for aerodynamic enhancements?

The factory body kit reduces drag coefficient to .29 i believe.

I am interested in some of these kits but only if they are tasteful and increase performance. Putting wings and bumpers on the car that slow it down would be wasteful IMHO.

Ive seen civics with big *** 45degree spoilers, which definitley slow them down. Provides huge downforce, yes, but arent they front wheel drive?

Old 05-05-2003, 01:05 PM
JZC

Nismo's is tested. I'm not sure about any others.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:42 PM
franklinz

body kits=gay, no-function
just think of it along these lines:
would you put a body kit on a finely tuned wind tunnel tested 360 modena?? if so, i would burn it to the ground and prevent you from bastardizing any more beautiful cars from the factory.
franklinz
Old 05-05-2003, 04:44 PM
FLY BY Z

Ive seen civics with big *** 45degree spoilers, which definitley slow them down. Provides huge downforce, yes, but arent they front wheel drive?
I don't understand people's fascination with making fun of FWD cars with wings/spoilers in the rear. It only shows incompetence and ignorance in the field of aerodynamics, racing, and common sense.

I am just tired of bashing when there are no grounds to bash on. If it is rice, fine, bash away. But if you attack something because of its functionality or lack thereof, and you are wrong, I say be prepared to get slammed.

And for your future reference so you don't look foolish again, why would a FWD car not need a wing in the rear? If the car is capable of cornering at speeds fast enough to induce oversteer, then it is justified to utilize a wing in the rear. Is this necessary on any street car? Probably not, so I say rice. But it can be justified on a FWD car. Ever seen a RWD car with oh, say, a front lip or diffuser? Wow, the track Z has one stock! Why would it need that being that it is RWD?

So I guess if a car is RWD, screw the aerodynamic properties in the front of the car and if the car is FWD, screw the rear aerodynamics because air doesn't exist in those places anyways, right? Come on, hater.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:46 PM
franklinz

Originally posted by Mr. Potato Head
I don't understand people's fascination with making fun of FWD cars with wings/spoilers in the rear. It only shows incompetence and ignorance in the field of aerodynamics, racing, and common sense.

I am just tired of bashing when there are no grounds to bash on. If it is rice, fine, bash away. But if you attack something because of its functionality or lack thereof, and you are wrong, I say be prepared to get slammed.

And for your future reference so you don't look foolish again, why would a FWD car not need a wing in the rear? If the car is capable of cornering at speeds fast enough to induce oversteer, then it is justified to utilize a wing in the rear. Is this necessary on any street car? Probably not, so I say rice. But it can be justified on a FWD car. Ever seen a RWD car with oh, say, a front lip or diffuser? Wow, the track Z has one stock! Why would it need that being that it is RWD?

So I guess if a car is RWD, screw the aerodynamic properties in the front of the car and if the car is FWD, screw the rear aerodynamics because air doesn't exist in those places anyways, right? Come on, hater.
front diffuser is for added downforce to the front for added sterring response and to keep the front end from floating, something badly needed on 240z's imo.
franklinz
Old 05-05-2003, 06:51 PM
FLY BY Z

Right and that is the purpose of a wing/spoiler on a FWD car. To keep the rear from floating/oversteer. That is the point of what I wrote. Man, did you miss that?
Old 05-05-2003, 07:12 PM
toykilla

umm did you miss the 45 degree incline of the wing ? (may have been more ), seems like a parachute to me
Old 05-05-2003, 07:16 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

How can you hate something that looks SO BEAUTIFUL!
Attached Thumbnails performance of body kits-nismo-kit-side.jpg  
Old 05-05-2003, 08:02 PM
JZC

Yes, I'll have a black one to flaunt soon.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:03 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by toykilla
umm did you miss the 45 degree incline of the wing ? (may have been more ), seems like a parachute to me
I don't care about the first half of your last comment on your first post. The problem is with the second part. Did you even read through what I wrote?