Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help w/ Nardi/Personal with Works Bell QR

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 10:09 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by micmicmotorbike
its gonna suck to try get that button off if I ever have to.
It's not that bad, I have removed mine several times to get my horn working. A flat head screwdriver wrapped in electrical tape will do the job just fine with no damage to any of the components.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:53 PM
drsifu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, i finished up my install.

haven't tried the horn yet, but I imagine it should work.

unlike everyone else, I used the metal spacer, which should provide better contact to ground.

this required me to dremel the side of the horn a little bit more to get a snug fit. with the spacer, there is a little edge that allows it to "space", but it also prevents the horn from sitting flush. I had to grind down the edge so that the spacer sits into the QR. Now the horn button is flush.

Because I used the spacer, the horn only fits in one direction, so to get the Personal logo dead center, I had to do some custom sanding.

all in all, the install was fairly straight forward. it was the little details that took the longest.

now i'm waiting for one more resistor/fuse assembly from ASpec and I should be good to go.

thanks again for everyone's help.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:56 PM
drsifu

oh....the works bell adapter does come with a T30 tamper-proof torx bit and one resistor/fuse assembly.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:17 PM
Jes-Z

Is there a possible way of putting a quick release hub on a stock steering wheel and maintain normal functions? Just curious. I love my cruise control and like the safety of my airbag.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:23 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jes-Z
Is there a possible way of putting a quick release hub on a stock steering wheel and maintain normal functions? Just curious. I love my cruise control and like the safety of my airbag.
wouldnt work...stock wheel has a mess of wiring, and a little thing called an airbag
Old 07-20-2007, 08:38 PM
Jes-Z

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
wouldnt work...stock wheel has a mess of wiring, and a little thing called an airbag

Of course. My question was is it possible to install a hub while maintaining all the options, Airbag and Cruise Control? I like the removable steering wheel as a security feature.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:49 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jes-Z
Of course. My question was is it possible to install a hub while maintaining all the options, Airbag and Cruise Control? I like the removable steering wheel as a security feature.

to do it safely and still have your airbag work? probably not.

then there's the whole fitting the quick release on a hub that will fit. your oem wheel would be like another 7-8" closer to you and would look like u were driving a tractor or something.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:00 AM
synth19

^ Rofl!
Old 07-24-2007, 11:30 PM
drsifu

my camera phone SUCKS!!!!

thanks to those who offered advice, here's a pic of the steering wheel attached. everything is perfect except the steering wheel is about 2-3 mm to the left. It's ever so slight, but noticeable.

the space between each spindle on the steering column and Splash hub makes it either 2-3 mm to the left, or 5-7 mm to the right, can't get it dead on.

the only downside to the QR and short hub is that it does make the steering wheel about 1-1.5 inches furhter from the turn signals. It's not as easy to flick the turn signal with my fingers with my hand on the steering wheel.

EDIT: New driver seat is in the works

Last edited by drsifu; 07-24-2007 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:45 AM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ same thing happened to me.. to fix it, you gotta take the whole thing off and spin the steering wheel face thing slightly over to get it right.. after a couple of tries, mine is right in the middle..

I think the best thing to do it when you are taking off the steering wheel, is to not lock it over to the right, center the wheel and have a friend help you hold the wheel and keep it centered while you undo the bolt in the middle..
Old 07-25-2007, 03:50 AM
drsifu

yeah...i know what part you are talking about.

i've been moving the back part to line it up. the part that has the white protruding piece to help align the splash hub.

i'm gonna try to mess around with it some more tomorrow.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:08 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yep its all in the install. The painted "dots" have to line up perfectly, otherwise it will be noticeably off. Had to do the same thing when I installed my NISMO wheel
Old 07-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Jes-Z

Originally Posted by Chebosto
to do it safely and still have your airbag work? probably not.

then there's the whole fitting the quick release on a hub that will fit. your oem wheel would be like another 7-8" closer to you and would look like u were driving a tractor or something.
Nevermind then.....lol. I'd rather not be driving like that. Guess the Air bag goes!
Old 08-03-2007, 06:27 AM
synth19

Just got my wheel/quick release, but my car is @ the bodyshop getting a new bumper installed.. and then goes to the upholstry shop to get the door panels done. So I probably wont even have the car back to install this until next week... But anyways, where exactly is this metal spacer you guys refer to? In the steering wheel or in the horn button?
Old 08-03-2007, 08:50 AM
synth19

nevermind...I'm looking at pic 1 and I see the metal ring in the QR...maybe I should have clicked on that pic before posting...
Old 09-21-2007, 05:09 PM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What do you do with the airbag sensor since its no longer used? Is there a cancel switch or connector that can be purchased?
Old 09-22-2007, 12:12 AM
drsifu

yes, you need a resistor/fuse assembly.

our car has a dual stage airbag. one resistor came with the Works Bell Short Hub and I bought another one from ASpec.

$15 shipped from ASpec.

you could ghetto rig it with a resistor from radio shack for a $1 or $2, but I feel the fuse is necessary, cause when you do get into an accident, the ECU is gonna send a signal to fire that airbag, and you want that fuse there to trip instead of going through the wire.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:07 PM
rrmedicx

Any reason why some cars have 2 resistors and others have only one??? My car is an '03. any idea how many I should expect to encounter when I disassemble everything?
Thanks.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:19 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
Any reason why some cars have 2 resistors and others have only one??? My car is an '03. any idea how many I should expect to encounter when I disassemble everything?
Thanks.

You should have one, I had two...the second one has to do with the side or seat air bags.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:34 PM
rrmedicx

I too have side air bags. How to know which one to put the resistor on??? I guess it should be fairly obvious...the one that leads to the airbag loaded in the steering wheel...OK Redundant question...But with the tight space left to us with aftermarket steering wheels, where will I stuff the sensor for the side airbag, if you are telling me to just jam it in there...thats what I'll do. Just let me know..Thanks.

Quick Reply: Help w/ Nardi/Personal with Works Bell QR