Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help w/ Nardi/Personal with Works Bell QR

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 12:56 AM
drsifu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help w/ Nardi/Personal with Works Bell QR

i can't seem to get the horn button to snap into my steering wheel.

i screwed in the top half of the QR release to the steering wheel, but the horn button is too big.

anyone else run into this problem?

sorry for the vague post, but if you have this combo, you'll hopefully know what i am talking about.

added some pics.

1st pic shows the horn button and the hole it needs to fit in. it doesn't fit.

2nd pic shows the diagram. obviously the horn goes on top of the steering wheel, but it will still need to fit into the "compression ring" snug enough so that the button doesn't go flying away.

also in the 2nd pic, what does that "X" over one of the wires mean?

thx in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Help w/ Nardi/Personal with Works Bell QR-1.jpg   Help w/ Nardi/Personal with Works Bell QR-2.jpg  

Last edited by drsifu; 07-14-2007 at 03:37 AM.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:53 AM
Moroccan_Mole

yes same problem with mine. mine is currently on the car with no horn button.

i'm probably going to just shave down the sides of the horn with the dremel this afternoon
Old 07-14-2007, 12:29 PM
synth19

Send a PM to Adam @ Z1... he sells the most of these. I'm sure he has some suggestions...
Old 07-14-2007, 03:03 PM
gsazabi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How hard is the install? I'm thinking about just paying and getting it installed by professionals.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Personal wheels generally will need the inside edge hit with a light dremely to get the horn button to sit flush when using the quick disconnect. Not all styles do, just some. It literally takes 5 minutes to do
Old 07-14-2007, 07:33 PM
davidf

I'm not sure about the X but one of the wires is to be grounded while the other is hot. When you touch the hot to a ground the horn should sound. Theres usually a ground ring with the kit. Those kits are normally easy to install.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:54 PM
drsifu

yeah....there is a ground wire and "power wire". just wondering why they put an "X" there.

thanks Z1 Auto for your PM. figure dremeling was the only way. just wanted to be sure it wasn't one of those tricks where if you go under than to the left and than back under and to the right for it to fit

as far as install, i don't think it will be too difficult

only special tool you'll need is a T30 Tamper-proof Torx bit/screwdriver
Old 07-15-2007, 05:47 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah it is a little tight we did a little dremeling on mine and like elephant man says it was "good 2 go."

Last edited by Kwame; 07-15-2007 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:55 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

kwame what kind if **** is that?

Chris
Old 07-15-2007, 07:01 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NA&CH
kwame what kind if **** is that?

Chris
Chris,

It is the Personal Leather Ball shift ****.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:02 AM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drsifu
yeah....there is a ground wire and "power wire". just wondering why they put an "X" there.

thanks Z1 Auto for your PM. figure dremeling was the only way. just wanted to be sure it wasn't one of those tricks where if you go under than to the left and than back under and to the right for it to fit

as far as install, i don't think it will be too difficult

only special tool you'll need is a T30 Tamper-proof Torx bit/screwdriver
The T30 Tamperproof Torx bit is provided with the kit you buy from Kwame and Adam.. Not sure if this is standard for kits you buy elsewhere

The horn was a little bit tricky.

I bought the Personal Neo Grinta with W-B Quick Release... It's true that the horn button doesn't fit at all out of the box but i didn't have to do any dremelling.. all you got to do is remove the "inner ring".. you'll see what i mean when you get it.. it's not apparent at first but there seems to be another ring, inside of where you press the horn button in... it pulls right out.. I think it's some kind of spacer or something that's there for compatibility reasons on a wide variety of steering wheels?

once you pull that out, the horn button can be pressed snug into the hole..I just pressed it in with some force and my thumb... You can probably use a rubber mallet to tap it in.. I think the metal "hook" on top of the horn button has to also make contact with the grounding ring mine works now so im not taking it apart lol

Oh and you have to hook up both wires in both locations.. don't leave anythigng unhooked.. that picture with the "x" messed me up too.. I was trying 20 diff combinations before i realized all wires need to be connected..

--mike

Last edited by leemik; 07-15-2007 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:21 AM
synth19

^ thanks Mike, that really helps.. my order is going in today or tomorrow...
Old 07-15-2007, 08:39 AM
drsifu

thx g-unit

never even considered removing the metal ring. i know the one you are talking about.

it does look like a spacer, and I assume to ensure you don't crush the black and red wire beneath it.

yeah...i got the parts from a local friend, so I didn't get all the little things like the T30 bit and the extra resistor that Z1 provides. sounds like Z1 sells everything needed for a pain free install.

the metal hook on the horn button would automatically touch the "spacer", so I wonder if it also serves as a ground point???

i'll try to figure something out

again, thx for all the help
Old 07-15-2007, 08:50 AM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

All I can say is my horn works and i didn't have to bust out the dremel at all

After fiddling around with it for hours... I think the metal hanger thing on top of the horn button is key to making the horn work.. I believe it needs to be touching the "grounding ring" somehow..

When you install the horn button, start from bottom, press it in and then work your way to the top..for some reason my horn button only works when i install it this way lol

Not really related to the horn button but another tricky part is when you first take off the stock steering wheel and lock it over to the right. Well, when the wheel locks, I think the Z shifts the wheels back over to the center slightly.. So, my steering was cocked over towards the left when i was done lol.. i had to take everything off again to realign it to the center (by turning the spinning centerhub thing once everything was off)..

--mike
Old 07-15-2007, 08:51 AM
Moroccan_Mole

the little metal gasket/spacer looking thing should go between the qr and the wheel. the part that sticks out is for the black ground wire.

edit. there should be a 2nd one that also goes between the hub and qr that does the same thing

Last edited by Moroccan_Mole; 07-15-2007 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:53 AM
drsifu

thanks again for all your help.

i got around to installing the Splash hub tonight. everything seems to have gone well.

one quick question....

should the hub sit flush with the steering column or should there be about a 1/4 gap or so? I ask because I don't want to take a mallet to the hub if I don't need to.

basically the hub slides on to the steering shaft pretty easily, but there is that 1/4" gap. I;m wondering if I'm suppose to use a rubber mallet and hit it a little bit to get it to go down some more.

i think no only because the threads stopped where the hub currently sits. any further down and you'll be screwing the 19mm nut on to the steering shaft.

thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:13 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

there is a little gap if i remember correctly.

also make sure you get a good ground for the horn to work. and yes i had to sand/shave down my person horn button to fit the QR and had to sand a little bit of the inside of the QR for the ground to work for the horn.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:11 AM
micmicmotorbike

just installed my qr w/ personal wheel. had same issues. working out issues with the horn working. I just think ground is not touching the ring. I need to double check. connection at hub is good cause wen I touch the two contact points together.
back on the topic, wen I removed the spacer, the horn button fit really snug onto the wheel. I used my thumbs to press it in. its gonna suck to try get that button off if I ever have to.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:27 AM
synth19

^ Pics?
Old 07-19-2007, 07:39 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My personal wheel worked fine, the horn button assembly fit sorta snug so you have to be careful when placing it onto the wheel for perfect alignment.

Quick Reply: Help w/ Nardi/Personal with Works Bell QR