Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mine's Front Lip Alternative

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 09:03 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QdotJ
Good question, this would result in being "higher quality and durability" than just a simple clip on lip (I assume)...

This is not just about the "look" I want to have a lip that will last the life of the car, as long as I take care of it. I want to make a purchase that will not be a quick-fix simply for looks.. If that were the case I would be on e-bay and not here...

If have I have to budge past my $375 price limit then I will for quality...
I think you'll be disappointed, then. CF lips are not durable by nature; that mines lip won't hold up any better to rock chips, scrapes or potential cracking better than the Veilside or Evo-R renditions, so don't buy it with that expectation. It's fine if you're buying it to be a baller, but that's about all it'll do for you. As for your price limit, hell the Veilside is more than that; expect to pay WAY more than that for the Mines.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:32 AM
QdotJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
I think you'll be disappointed, then. CF lips are not durable by nature; that mines lip won't hold up any better to rock chips, scrapes or potential cracking better than the Veilside or Evo-R renditions, so don't buy it with that expectation. It's fine if you're buying it to be a baller, but that's about all it'll do for you. As for your price limit, hell the Veilside is more than that; expect to pay WAY more than that for the Mines.
Baller? Nope... I have never been in the "look at how much money I can waste/spend" phase, even living in the land of plastic and fakeness...

Interesting... I'll just have to get my hands on a Mine's Lip and compare it to a Veilside or Evo-R... Have you done this?

I have always believed, however, that you get what you pay for...
Old 08-13-2007, 10:12 AM
MustGoFastR

LOL, ok; just seems you're being a little contradictory to yourself, then. No, I haven't had my hands on a Mines lip, but I have the various versions of the Veilside as well as the Evo-R. If it's durability you want, you don't want CF; you want urethane. The CF and FRP versions are made to be very light, which they are, but the materials they are made of are inherently brittle; they can take some minor scraping underneath and flex a bit, but it will remove material and they won't take impacts.

Also, don't assume a thicker, heavier lip will be more durable. These will be an FRP lip with a wet carbon overlay; it'll feel more substantial, but it'll have next to no flex and crack/chip even easier. I understand what you're saying, you want the best; I'm the same way. CF looks cool, but for a car that I drive alot, it just isn't practical, so I got the urethane and I'm glad I did; no matter how careful am, I scrape it from time to time and asside from a little paint removed underneath and out of sight, it's still in perfect shape and I know it'll last a very long time.

I've never seen anyone here with a Mines lip, so without more info, I'd be hesitant to spend so much more on it when there in no gaurantee that it's of any higher quality than the others. With parts like this, you have to accept and be prepared for the inevitable damage they will incur. That pretty CF lip will most likely eventually end up patched and painted, no matter how good of care you take of it; I say spend as little as possible for an equivalent, then it won't hurt so bad to just replace it when the time comes. Do what you will, though; any way you go, it's a nice looking lip and you'll love it on your car.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:20 AM
QdotJ

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
LOL, ok; just seems you're being a little contradictory to yourself, then. No, I haven't had my hands on a Mines lip, but I have the various versions of the Veilside as well as the Evo-R. If it's durability you want, you don't want CF; you want urethane. The CF and FRP versions are made to be very light, which they are, but the materials they are made of are inherently brittle; they can take some minor scraping underneath and flex a bit, but it will remove material and they won't take impacts.

Also, don't assume a thicker, heavier lip will be more durable. These will be an FRP lip with a wet carbon overlay; it'll feel more substantial, but it'll have next to no flex and crack/chip even easier. I understand what you're saying, you want the best; I'm the same way. CF looks cool, but for a car that I drive alot, it just isn't practical, so I got the urethane and I'm glad I did; no matter how careful am, I scrape it from time to time and asside from a little paint removed underneath and out of sight, it's still in perfect shape and I know it'll last a very long time.

I've never seen anyone here with a Mines lip, so without more info, I'd be hesitant to spend so much more on it when there in no gaurantee that it's of any higher quality than the others. With parts like this, you have to accept and be prepared for the inevitable damage they will incur. That pretty CF lip will most likely eventually end up patched and painted, no matter how good of care you take of it; I say spend as little as possible for an equivalent, then it won't hurt so bad to just replace it when the time comes. Do what you will, though; any way you go, it's a nice looking lip and you'll love it on your car.
Sir, thank you so much... I appreciate the time along with your CIVIL and detailed explanation... This was a great help.

Thank you
Old 08-13-2007, 10:36 AM
MustGoFastR

No prob; be sure to post up pics and your impressions of whatever you decide to get!
Old 08-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no, what these guys are trying to say is this:

a carbon fiber lip, no matter WHO makes it (it's a material issue) is prone to damage because it is very stiff and will shatter/crack if impacted.

so think of every speedbump, driveway, pothole you drive over and that 1 inch less clearance in the front... the lip takes the beating... it cracks a week after you have it and you just paid xxx amount for it... waste?

yes. some guys that have CF lips buy two at a time... seriously (Cwest especially... very deep)

if it looks the same, you are paying for the name and a possible 10% increase in workmanship quality.

weigh the pros and cons and make your decision.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:35 AM
QdotJ

Originally Posted by Motormouth
no, what these guys are trying to say is this:

a carbon fiber lip, no matter WHO makes it (it's a material issue) is prone to damage because it is very stiff and will shatter/crack if impacted.

so think of every speedbump, driveway, pothole you drive over and that 1 inch less clearance in the front... the lip takes the beating... it cracks a week after you have it and you just paid xxx amount for it... waste?

yes. some guys that have CF lips buy two at a time... seriously (Cwest especially... very deep)

if it looks the same, you are paying for the name and a possible 10% increase in workmanship quality.

weigh the pros and cons and make your decision.
Yeah, more I think of it and knowing that this is my daily driver, the "wow factor" of having an "exclusive" lip is wearing thin...

I kinda scrape things now with the drop, and would hate to mess up a $600+ front lip.

I'm almost considering dumping the whole lip idea and picking up this combo...

&

The top photo is a "bumper protector" ( the site is kinda simplistic.. not too sure about it..) and the bottom is the carbon fiber bumper cover that we are all familiar with.

Or even the Stillen front lip...

Seriously guys, I appreciate all the input and all the money you are helping me save... I went from a 600+ lip to staying under my intial price range thanks to a lot of helpful input and REALITY CHECKS... (I almost bought an Iphone not too long ago, my lady had to drag me out of the store... lol)
Old 08-13-2007, 12:15 PM
MustGoFastR

As I mentioned, what's going to hold up best on a daily driver, especially one that is dropped will be a urethane lip. The Veiside is very good. If you want the contrasting color, just paint it black or just leave it the satin black color the urethane lip comes molded in. I like CF accents as well and have it on other areas of my car; just not the best idea for a front lip at so much $$$.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:44 PM
VisionaryRacing
Banned

Hello QdotJ,

Sorry for the delayed reponse. Been a horrible weekend with my basement flooding due to a tornado in NYC (Yea who would have guessed) and just my birthday this past weekend.

Anyhow, back to the topic on hand. Mine's is defiantly something that is of the highest quality. Sure it might look similar to the Veilside or Evo-R (which we also carry) but again it depends on what you feel will fit your car better.

If you are looking to only spend 375, I would say either hold off, or get the Evo-R lip. Mine's stuff is simply expensive, hard to come by, and takes times to even arrive due to having it ordered from Japan. But if you are looking for high quality authentic JDM parts made by one of the top Tuners in Japan, then Mine's is really the only choice.

Another suggestion aside from the Mine's lip, which has a slightly different style would be the Varis front CF spoiler. It is cheaper than the Mine's front lip but it is also of a high quality CF.

As far as fitment goes, the Mine's is dead on, where as Veilside can be iffy at times. I will send you a price over PM's.

Again sorry for the delay, just certain circumstances delayed me a bit here.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, more I think of it and knowing that this is my daily driver, the "wow factor" of having an "exclusive" lip is wearing thin...

I kinda scrape things now with the drop, and would hate to mess up a $600+ front lip.

Or even the Stillen front lip...

Seriously guys, I appreciate all the input and all the money you are helping me save... I went from a 600+ lip to staying under my intial price range thanks to a lot of helpful input and REALITY CHECKS... (I almost bought an Iphone not too long ago, my lady had to drag me out of the store... lol)
that stillen diffuser is sweet. considering that or evo-r non cf v1 lip.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:46 PM
BaTMan_4

What site is that??
Old 08-13-2007, 07:07 PM
jadaniya
Banned

I knew this was coming... I can understand if I asked for a donation or something.... but...
yeah, because you make no sense. atleast you could see it coming, lol.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:52 PM
QdotJ

^^^ Can't we be mature about this? Seriously come on... what's with the criticism? Having a bad day? Something going on @ home? The office? If you need to talk just PM me, no need to attempt to start a pissing contest over something so trivial. I'm a big guy, but not a punching bag.

Seriously, I just don't understand the joy out of criticizing someone. Does it make you feel more like a man? Does it help you stand taller? Does sitting at your computer typing up messages that poke fun at others give you some sensation that none of us know of? I understand a good jabbing here and there, but your comments (not just in this thread) seem to come out of nowhere... Oh well...

I guess I'm just as guilty by responding, not only once, but twice. I mean I could have just ignored your comment and not even given it the attention that I have... but I'm sure you're getting a kick out of this and will come with something nice and witty, or even call me a name or something... Enjoy...

Originally Posted by BaTMan_4
What site is that??

The name of the site is "Grill Accessories"...
http://www.grill-accessories.com/ind...PROD&ProdID=22

Last edited by QdotJ; 08-13-2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:51 PM
BaTMan_4

^ hmm looks interesting since i have some minor scratches down there. thanks for the link and GL with your purchase...i'm a very big fan of anything Mines but that is a steep price for something that gets hits so often
Old 08-13-2007, 10:26 PM
sokudo9l6

the stillen diffuser does look sweet.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Get the top secret lip if you plan to spend that much. I'm not to sure about the mines lip, but i have seen the top secret have an integrated lower airdam. Varis is hard to come by as well, i would've bought if it wasnt so long to wait for one...
Old 08-14-2007, 01:11 AM
findrock2

hey QdotJ, i am in the exactly same situation as you are. Just read thru ppl's suggestions. it seems that the conclusions are, if ur getting cf lip, but it from evo-r, if buying urthane, buy it from mine's. sounds about rite??
however, let me know your decision, interested.

-rock
Old 08-14-2007, 05:06 AM
QdotJ

Originally Posted by findrock2
hey QdotJ, i am in the exactly same situation as you are. Just read thru ppl's suggestions. it seems that the conclusions are, if ur getting cf lip, but it from evo-r, if buying urthane, buy it from mine's. sounds about rite??
however, let me know your decision, interested.

-rock
It's a difficult decision isn't it? I'll be sure to keep you informed Rock... Being that we're so close in proximity I might swing by and let you see for yourself next time I'm in Old Town with the lady...

The problem is, people are unsure of the Mine's lip, but have not seen or even got their hands on it, but are quick to judge or downplay...

Mind you it turns out to be a lot more than the initial $375 and even $600 price points I was looking for, but I still feel that it is well worth it...

Last edited by QdotJ; 08-14-2007 at 05:13 AM.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:14 AM
BaTMan_4

^ it is true that people judge even though they are yet to see one in person. IMO though being CF i'm sure the only plus getting it a Mine's lip will be the quality and fit. Other than that i'm sure it will just be like any other CF lip when it comes to durability. One more thing...it looks similar to the V1 and will more than likely be confused constantly, since you are looking at a high end JDM lip why not get something that stands out more and won't be mistaken like the Varis or any other unique JDM brand?
Old 08-14-2007, 09:35 AM
jadaniya
Banned

^^^ Can't we be mature about this? Seriously come on... what's with the criticism? Having a bad day? Something going on @ home? The office? If you need to talk just PM me, no need to attempt to start a pissing contest over something so trivial. I'm a big guy, but not a punching bag.

Seriously, I just don't understand the joy out of criticizing someone. Does it make you feel more like a man? Does it help you stand taller? Does sitting at your computer typing up messages that poke fun at others give you some sensation that none of us know of? I understand a good jabbing here and there, but your comments (not just in this thread) seem to come out of nowhere... Oh well...

I guess I'm just as guilty by responding, not only once, but twice. I mean I could have just ignored your comment and not even given it the attention that I have... but I'm sure you're getting a kick out of this and will come with something nice and witty, or even call me a name or something... Enjoy...

The name of the site is "Grill Accessories"...
http://www.grill-accessories.com/ind...PROD&ProdID=22

Wow, you must think that everyone is below you if my stating the obvious seems like I'm trashing on you. I understand when you want to ask the opinion of fellow Z owners, nothing wrong with that. I was just jabbing at you a little b/c you answer your own questions in your own posts. When I said "atleast you saw it coming," I was joking at the fact that you aren't a complete idiot. You are able to realize that the debate in your mind about which one to get leads to logical answers that you can find on your own. I mean, you say that they look nearly identical (and people who posted so far can find no difference) but you don't know which to get when there is a big price difference between the 2. Then you say you want something that will last when I'm pretty sure you already know that cf isn't invincible and is very rigid (therefore way easier to crack than urethane and less patchable than fiberglass). I understand that there are things that no one will know unless they have owned a certain product (hence you asking). I was just joking at what APPEARS to be a lack of reasoning in your thinking. I know you just want opinions or feedback from people with first hand experience, which is why its a joke (not trying to attack you). And yes, it is fun to point out the stupidity of others FROM TIME TO TIME, but in this instance I totally understand where you're coming from, which is why it is a JOKE.

Quick Reply: Mine's Front Lip Alternative