Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

automatic folding mirrors...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 04:24 PM
joekool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default automatic folding mirrors...

Is anyone interested in this?? Basically what happens is the mirrors automatically fold in when car is turned off and automatically folds out when car is turned on..

There is a DIY in the DIY section here: https://my350z.com/forum/body-interior-exterior-and-lighting-diy/241297-diy-automatic-side-mirror-folding.html

However I have trouble understanding it being the noob that I am when it comes to the cars electrics etc..

I've been speaking to KPTechnologies regarding this in their forums and they are keen to help if they can sell 15+ units... That's the other thing, are we allowed to do a group buy with KPTechnologies here??

The only dilemma is that US spec mirrors don't have the motor to open and close the mirrors, so you's would have to order a Japanese Spec 350Z mirror with the motor in it through you're dealership or whateva.

Apart from that, KPTechnologies said it will cost "around" $60 if they can use an existing circuit board and $80 if they need to redesign one.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:42 PM
VIZAGE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be nice if it was factory. But I don't think I'd go out of my why to buy. I just don't see where it would serve a pupose to have. Since they come in after the car is off. I know trucks here have folding mirrors for tight areas when off road or city driving. And it surely wouldn't help in a garage area, for if they did fold in because of parking, you still have to open the doors. So kind of pointless. These are my opinions.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:53 PM
crg914

It probably wouldn't be hard to wire them to a toggle switch instead of the ignition so you could open/close them any time you wanted. Possibly a nice convenience feature.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:08 PM
joekool

well i guess if you've got your zed in a shopping centre car park, it will protect mirrors better against the accidental bumps from people... I'm from Australia and we already have the mirrors with the folding motor in them (don't have auto open/close though).. But I believe if anyone hits the mirror hard enough and distorts it's position, it can damage the motor/folding mechanism. for you US zed owners, it's manual so it wouldn't matter if someone bumped your mirror.

But it would look cool
Old 10-17-2007, 02:01 PM
ckny

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would 150% be in for this if it didn't cost too much more then what you're quoting. Getting 2 whole new mirrors and painted will probably be too much though if that is what's required.