Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Side-markers by Ares (REVIEW)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 09:12 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thus far, I have found no method of opening them up short of prying them open, which would lead to ALOT of broken reflectors, but I always have ideas, as I do them, you guys will be the first to know.

right now Im workin on the tail light, but then Ill go back to the reflectors and mess with em.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:45 PM
pearl430
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow very nice pix and work

thanx for sharing
Old 01-26-2004, 04:58 PM
silverstoneTT

Some pics like that are exactly what I was looking for-step by step instructions on how to wire lights to the parking lights and turn signals. Anyone else have link with more expanded instructions perhaps?
Old 01-26-2004, 05:02 PM
ares
Veteran

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=55808

not exactly the same, but might fill in the first step of removing the wheel well.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:32 AM
z-extreme

Sorry for my ignorance, but do the LED's blink with the turn signals? I would be interested if that's the case. I cuurently just have Clear markers on my Z.

Thanks
Old 01-29-2004, 11:26 AM
neohalo1

If you move your head across the screen to the right, you'll notice the led's line up! I think the curve in the fendor along with the angle of the shot makes it look like the led's are not aligned.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:40 AM
ares
Veteran

they can blink, or they can act like a parking light. working on merging them a little bit so they can do both.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:13 PM
shimz350z

Originally posted by kitkos
Use “Tap Splices” ($1.00 for 4. You need 2 packs. Any hardware or auto store or Wal-Mart) to connect the LED’s to the existing wires.

ares and kitkos...what how big our tab splices? I can't seem to find one the size of kitkos?...they're all to small it seems. Is there another alternative?
Old 03-06-2004, 02:51 PM
ares
Veteran

homedepot has them, they should be blue, and sposed to fit I think 12 or 14gauge wire.

alternatives, you can strip the wire your tapping into, use a razor blade and cut 2 circles around the wire about .3" apart, and then slice stright down the wire between them. then the insulation will pull off, next you take the lead from the reflector and wrap it around the now stripped portion of the wire. here you either solder it if possible, and/or just wrap it up REALLY good with electrical tape.

be real careful not to 1. cut through the wire, the stock parking light wire is real thin. and 2. dont slice yourself.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:37 PM
shimz350z

Default heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelppppppp

Originally posted by ares
homedepot has them, they should be blue, and sposed to fit I think 12 or 14gauge wire.

alternatives, you can strip the wire your tapping into, use a razor blade and cut 2 circles around the wire about .3" apart, and then slice stright down the wire between them. then the insulation will pull off, next you take the lead from the reflector and wrap it around the now stripped portion of the wire. here you either solder it if possible, and/or just wrap it up REALLY good with electrical tape.

be real careful not to 1. cut through the wire, the stock parking light wire is real thin. and 2. dont slice yourself.
I NEED HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP
( i wanted my leds to light up during parking mode/headlights)

I finally had time to put on my "ares" sidemarkers...the only problem was I knew it wasn't going work out as planned

I printed out the pictures and not all the rest of the directions...<--that wasn't smart.

And i proceeded to move on with the pictures as my guide. Now can someone explain to me exactly what wires are for what?
this is what I have done so far.

-i attached the red wire from my led sidemarkers to the parking lamp(green/white)... and blinker(green/black) -now i dont' quite remember if the green/white was lamp or the greenblack was lamp..either way they both were attached to the red wires(ared's led)

-black wire(ared's) attached to the black wire heading into the parking light.

-i cut the plastic covering of parking lamp wires so they might have touched each other...which can cause a fuse to break?<--i have no idea...laymans terms please.

-the result...

-none of my parking lamps work...
the leds blink...on a turnsignal(the option i chose not to do since you can't do both?)-they look awesome btw

-the stock radio buttons don't light up anymore...the main screen(radio station/time) does illuminate but the rest of the buttons don't.

any ideas on what I did wrong?...what do i have to fix?...i really need something specific directions. "dummies guide for sidemarker led installation" available?

p.s they look awesome but only for a short time because it blinks only during my turn signal lol
Old 04-05-2004, 08:45 PM
ares
Veteran

your parking lights dont light up?

gotta be a fuse.

sadly nissan decided to place the parking light fuse in the WORST spot.

it is located BEHIND the battery. not the box in front of it, it is behind it and basicly out of view. you need to pop the fasteners on the shrouding over the battery(the whole thing, not just the cover) and then you can see the other fuse box. the fuse is in there.

its not too tough to get to, I did it the other day in about 10minutes.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:50 AM
luving625

Smile prices? how to order?

I checked the thread and didn't see any price listing. I'm definitely interested for my new Z. So how about some info: prices, shipping, etc. Great pics.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:05 PM
herbrock17

This may sound like a dumb newbie question: but is there any way to make these sidemarkers light up ONLY with the turn signal and not the parking light??

It's funny how all the factory sidmarkers on BMWs, Audis, VWs, etc only light up when turning which is ideal...

Every other Honda rice rocket has lighted sidemarkers/mirrors with their parking lights so you look like a spaceship coming down the street. (Sorry, I used to own a rice rocket Toyota Corolla and have "evolved" to what's in my signature now...I wanna mod my car but mod it right!!)....................peace all
Old 07-08-2004, 10:57 PM
ares
Veteran

absolutely, all in how you wire it. if you only wire it to the turn signals, itll only light up with them.

for more info PM me and check the website in my sig, www.rasecreations.com. not all options are on there though, specificly all 5mm setups. most any setup is available if its possible; just ask.