Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interest in 350Z Fitted Luggage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 04:58 PM
broudie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Interest in 350Z Fitted Luggage?

Hi - I'm considering holding a group buy for fitted luggage for the 350Z - this will be made for the roadster, but will fit the coupe as well. Below are pictures. There will be 2 bags to 1 set. The logo I am considering is the "Fairlady Z" JDM-style emblem.

A couple of questions - first off, what are the group buy rules for this subforum? Do I need to talk to the forum owner and is there a fee/commission?

Old 11-21-2007, 05:21 PM
007pipeline

hmm interesting...
Old 11-21-2007, 05:32 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by broudie
A couple of questions - first off, what are the group buy rules for this subforum? Do I need to talk to the forum owner and is there a fee/commission?
Hi and welcome.

Yes, there are some specific rules, posted in the Terms Of Use:
https://my350z.com/forum/faq.php?faq...aq#faq_faq_tou

See #'s 18 and 19

The bottom line is that you have to be a sponsor/vendor to run a group buy. You can get sponsorship info by sending an email to sponsorship@my350z.com and one of the administrators will contact you with info.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:45 PM
broudie

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Hi and welcome.

See #'s 18 and 19

The bottom line is that you have to be a sponsor/vendor to run a group buy. You can get sponsorship info by sending an email to sponsorship@my350z.com and one of the administrators will contact you with info.
Email sent!
Old 11-21-2007, 05:47 PM
broudie

Originally Posted by 007pipeline
hmm interesting...
Thanks, I'll post more info once the sponsor/vendor details have been hashed out. I've gotten into trouble with the ***** over at miata.net for putting in any details before sponsorship/vendorship(?) takes effect.

The only additional info I will put out right now is that they will be more affordable than anything else out there.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:13 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Thanks for posting this info. Sounds as though there are a couple of "hoops" to jump through before making the product available to Forum members. I think it’s a great idea. Fitment to a coupe is a more “wiggly” because of the many configurations people here have when installing SubW’s into Z coupes (often the SubW’s go into a custom box under the rear strut bar).

But… I think a lot of Z coupe owners do not have anything under the rear strut bar (no SubW there), and that would be a great position for fitted luggage. In my case, I do some golfing trips. I put the golf-club/bags where Nissan’s graphic suggests (one bag in front of the rear strut bar and one bag behind the strut bar). The “suitcases” are duffel bags that get stuffed under the rear strut bar between the golf-club bags. The duffel bag arrangement works, but never takes advantage of the available space. The extra baggage ends on top of the other stuff, and it interferes with closing the hatch and vision while driving. A custom/fitted bag/suitcase that fits perfectly under the Z’s rear strut bar would be great.

--Spike

EDIT: Probably a two piece set fitting under the rear strut bar would be the best way to do this. A "Z" logo is important since the resort-porters reloading the car have an easier time matching the car to it's luggage when there are matching identifiers (logos in this case).

Last edited by Spike100; 11-21-2007 at 06:33 PM. Reason: To add additional coments/info
Old 11-21-2007, 07:15 PM
broudie

Originally Posted by Spike100
Thanks for posting this info. Sounds as though there are a couple of "hoops" to jump through before making the product available to Forum members. I think it’s a great idea. Fitment to a coupe is a more “wiggly” because of the many configurations people here have when installing SubW’s into Z coupes (often the SubW’s go into a custom box under the rear strut bar).

But… I think a lot of Z coupe owners do not have anything under the rear strut bar (no SubW there), and that would be a great position for fitted luggage. In my case, I do some golfing trips. I put the golf-club/bags where Nissan’s graphic suggests (one bag in front of the rear strut bar and one bag behind the strut bar). The “suitcases” are duffel bags that get stuffed under the rear strut bar between the golf-club bags. The duffel bag arrangement works, but never takes advantage of the available space. The extra baggage ends on top of the other stuff, and it interferes with closing the hatch and vision while driving. A custom/fitted bag/suitcase that fits perfectly under the Z’s rear strut bar would be great.

--Spike

EDIT: Probably a two piece set fitting under the rear strut bar would be the best way to do this. A "Z" logo is important since the resort-porters reloading the car have an easier time matching the car to it's luggage when there are matching identifiers (logos in this case).
Thanks for the info. Like I mentioned before, these are custom-fit for the roadster, but will also fit the coupe. In this configuration, there is no meaningful space beneath the rear strut bar that justifies lugging a 3rd bag (and there is no space in front of it either - its taken up by the soft top hardware).

The shape of the bag tapers, so that its a perfect fit when closing the trunk, and will not hamper the rear sight-lines in the coupe.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:05 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nissan already makes a custom luggage set for the Z coupe, not that this isn't a good idea as well.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:19 AM
broudie

Originally Posted by usmanasif
Nissan already makes a custom luggage set for the Z coupe, not that this isn't a good idea as well.
They do? Links/pricing?

edit: OK I found it.. $600 Thats way way too high.. around 1/4th the price seems much more reasonable.

Last edited by broudie; 11-22-2007 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:22 AM
broudie

Hi and welcome.

See #'s 18 and 19

Following up on this - I sent an email a couple days ago and no response until now. How long do the admins usually take to reply?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:18 PM
broudie

Alright, got the sponsorship info!
Old 11-26-2007, 04:40 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

With the holidays, I'm sure it took a little longer than usual.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:01 AM
broudie

With the holidays, I'm sure it took a little longer than usual.
Thanks. I'll probably start my GB list once I have pictures of the embroidery. Any suggestions though? I'm leaning towards embroidery that looks like this

Old 11-27-2007, 10:12 PM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

cool idea

subbin
Old 11-28-2007, 07:10 AM
broudie

Originally Posted by kacz07
cool idea

subbin
Thanks! What do you think of the embroidery idea? Do 350Z guys go for the "Fairlady" thing?
Old 11-28-2007, 12:59 PM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm... I'm indifferent. It wouldn't make me buy it, but it wouldn't keep me from doing it. A single "Z" emblem or "Z" logo would look cool too. Fairlady might not be as popular, but I'd still be interested in something designed to make the most of the hatchback.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:55 AM
broudie

Update:

I can't believe it's been 6 months already! The fitted luggage bags are now available!

Unfortunately, after some research I have discovered that the cost/benefit of sponsorship on this site is too steep for the sales volumes I am expecting. I will not be able to sell enough fitted luggage bags to cover the sponsorship fees based on my calculations.

I have instead advertised on Google Adwords, and set it up to target this forum. The forum still gets paid for every click to my site, and I get a little bit of exposure.

I wont post a price or a link to my webstore, as it would probably violate forum rules. Just click on the Google ad when it shows up (I'm sure clicking on site ads does not violate forum rules) and it will lead you directly to my webstore or you can just do a websearch. I know some people on this forum have already been visiting my webstore in anticipation of this release.

I'd just like to show the results of my efforts before I sign off:

Nissan 350Z Fitted Luggage Bags (by Roadtrip Fitted Luggage)

fitted on the roadster

fitted on the coupe

embroidered "Fairlady Z", black anodized hardware, rugged oversized zippers

I think they're cool

Last edited by broudie; 06-08-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:58 AM
TreeZ

Originally Posted by broudie

I think they're cool
+1
Old 06-08-2008, 09:01 AM
moforeynolds

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks nice! I bought the fitted luggage sit from Nissan, it's a 4-piece set. I got it when it was half price, about $300. It's come in handy every time my wife and I take a road trip with the Z, the stuff fits in the trunk PERFECTLY. I do like the idea of having two larger bags instead of the four though, and yours look to be nice quality. Good luck on your venture!
Old 06-13-2008, 08:43 AM
twinship

Looks good.

Can't find the Google ad you mentioned... pls provide a link to your site so I can find more info.

Quick Reply: Interest in 350Z Fitted Luggage?