Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much prep work for shine products?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default how much prep work for shine products?

just wondering about other people's experiences with shine aero products and the amount of prep work they need before paint. my body shop seems is quoting me a lot more than i expected mostly because of the amount of prep work is needed to make the product turn out right. they keep mentioning pin holes that need to be filled then sanded then primered then sanded again. this is my first time getting anything body prepped and painted so i just going on assumption and thinking this is something typical i should expect from a non oem product but it kinda disappoints me because I specifically purchased from shine based on their reputation of making a quality product. your input on this matter should be very insightful. on the bright side, the fittment looks excellent.

Last edited by Nexx; 12-04-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:48 PM
MyFairladyZ2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I told you before Nexx and you didnt believe me...
Took my shop almost two weeks to get my entire kit on.
I also thought it would require minimal work, guess I was wrong.
The sideskirts needed alot of work to make fit too.
Goodluck!
Old 12-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Nexx

Originally Posted by MyFairladyZ2006
I told you before Nexx and you didnt believe me...
Took my shop almost two weeks to get my entire kit on.
The sideskirts needed alot of work to make fit too.
Goodluck!
prep for painting is what is driving the price up, not fittment.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:00 PM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm surprised because my kit wasn't from Shine and it is FRP (not the hybrid poly type stuff Shine uses) and when I got my front bumper I didn't even tets fit it or anything. I told my shop to paint it and they did. No problem, only thing they had to do different was drill the holes where they were pre-marked. Other than that I had no problem with the prepping process. It was the same as say an OEM polyurethane bumper.

The painter did say he had to fill in several spots where it wasn't as smooth but he said that's what he has to do with every piece - not just mine in particular. Maybe the shop is yanking your chains.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Advent7

Well your probably in it too much now but Shine has good customer service so maybe you can talk to them about it.

I would have test fitted the stuff before sending it off to the body shop even if Shine is supposedly known for quality.

This makes me disappointed because there was a chance that I was going to purchase from Shine. I'm gonna do some more research.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Edit* I want to hear out Shine

Last edited by Ahsmo; 12-04-2007 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:08 PM
gsazabi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Shine Amuse kit is at the bodyshop right now getting refitted and resprayed, and the installer is having to do a lot of prep work to get my sides fit well.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:04 AM
MarkM

For reps, Shine are by far the best, but they still require quite a bit of prep, even my original Strosek sides, which cost me an arm and a leg, required a lot of prep........I don't think there's any kit made you can just paint straight away
Old 12-05-2007, 08:07 AM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by gsazabi
My Shine Amuse kit is at the bodyshop right now getting refitted and resprayed, and the installer is having to do a lot of prep work to get my sides fit well.
+1 i got just the amuse sides and had to remove all of their mounting tabs and lengthen it about 1/2". i have about 4-5 hours total into just one side, but it is perfect now

on a side note. i have a vented hood from another company and i have about 20 hours into it to make perfect! alot of the probs are due to removing from the molds to fast and they set up in a weird or bent way.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:53 AM
VisionaryRacing
Banned

ING's fitment is nearly dead one. Varis as well has been superb on all the cars we have ordered them for.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Nexx

Originally Posted by overZealous1
+1 i got just the amuse sides and had to remove all of their mounting tabs and lengthen it about 1/2". i have about 4-5 hours total into just one side, but it is perfect now

on a side note. i have a vented hood from another company and i have about 20 hours into it to make perfect! alot of the probs are due to removing from the molds to fast and they set up in a weird or bent way.
ok, this is what i figured. thanks for all the info fellas!
Old 12-05-2007, 12:59 PM
gsazabi

Nexx what kit did you get btw?
Old 12-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Advent7

I think he got the amuse kit
Old 12-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Nexx

Nexx what kit did you get btw?
amuse front bumper with diffuser and skirts.

i just took the stuff to another shop and i got quoted less than half what the first shop was trying to rape me for... i guess they thought i was gonna throw money at them.. yeah right... as i figured, the prep work is kinda standard for all kits, the first shop just made it sound like quality was crap, which isnt true. they tried to show me a few places they thought were troublesome. i kinda snickered because it wasnt anything major, i mean if a one or two bubbles smaller then a grain of rice is problematic then my lord prep work on anything should cost an arm and a leg. i emailed ken with my concerns and as the true pro that he is, he sent a detailed explanation on the work that his stuff requires before it can go to paint.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:50 PM
gsazabi

Originally Posted by Nexx
amuse front bumper with diffuser and skirts.

i just took the stuff to another shop and i got quoted less than half what the first shop was trying to rape me for... i guess they thought i was gonna throw money at them.. yeah right... as i figured, the prep work is kinda standard for all kits, the first shop just made it sound like quality was crap, which isnt true. they tried to show me a few places they thought were troublesome. i kinda snickered because it wasnt anything major, i mean if a one or two bubbles smaller then a grain of rice is problematic then my lord prep work on anything should cost an arm and a leg. i emailed ken with my concerns and as the true pro that he is, he sent a detailed explanation on the work that his stuff requires before it can go to paint.
I see. So you got the diffuser too huh? I'm thinking about the CF version, but I'm afraid that my car will be way too low.
I just got my car back from the bodyshop, and Makito did an excellent job! After all, he's the guy Ken refers all his customers to.
He told me that front wasn't that hard to work with, but the sideskirts made him say out some F words several times lol
Old 12-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Nexx

I see. So you got the diffuser too huh? I'm thinking about the CF version, but I'm afraid that my car will be way too low.
I just got my car back from the bodyshop, and Makito did an excellent job! After all, he's the guy Ken refers all his customers to.
He told me that front wasn't that hard to work with, but the sideskirts made him say out some F words several times lol
the diffuser is gonna take a lot of abuse. i would hate to have a cf part have to take brunt of all the rocks and debris.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:12 PM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nexx how much are they charging you for the work?

I took my USDM Rear Nismo pieces to get quotes and got $150 every where for jsut two tiny *** pieces in the rear for prep and paint only. Ended up talking to my usual shop and they do high-end cars only, they were able to bring it down to $97 after tax so I chose them for the work.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:18 PM
gsazabi

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN

I took my USDM Rear Nismo pieces to get quotes and got $150 every where for jsut two tiny *** pieces in the rear for prep and paint only. Ended up talking to my usual shop and they do high-end cars only, they were able to bring it down to $97 after tax so I chose them for the work.
That sounds about right, even though they're two tiny *** pieces like you said.
Most places quoted $150, but I ended up getting it done for $120.
BTW what's up with the sudden demand with USDM Nismo rears? I'm getting rid of mine and A LOT of people want them.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:25 PM
Nexx

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN

first shop $1500.00 LOL

second shop $687.00, thats more like it. lifetime warranty as long as i own the car. PPG only.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:14 PM
dgkn86

687 with painted?

Quick Reply: how much prep work for shine products?