Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who make the best CF?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Nismo 78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who make the best CF?

In everyone's personal opinion, who makes the best Carbon fiber products? I just ordered a OE Seibon CF hood for my 07 Nismo. I was told Seibon make the best. I had a VIS hood and trunk lid on my last car but the fitment wasn't so great. Just curious to know what ya'll think?
Old 02-28-2008, 10:36 PM
1cleanz

mastergrade is also good
Old 02-28-2008, 10:44 PM
moforeynolds

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are only a few companies that even produce raw carbon fiber; so what are you asking? What company's CF parts fit the best?
Old 02-28-2008, 11:02 PM
CEO350Z
That's bad juju

top secret
Old 02-29-2008, 04:32 AM
Jim@Showstoppers
Banned

Mastergrade

/thread
Old 02-29-2008, 06:32 AM
mdracer76
Banned

Domestic Manufacture? Mastergrade

JDM? TopSecret... without a doubt.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:10 AM
Ivory

Ive been hearing some horror stories about everything CF. I think the overall CF product quality on the market is not up to par.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:16 AM
rxkevin

Originally Posted by Ivory
Ive been hearing some horror stories about everything CF. I think the overall CF product quality on the market is not up to par.
Well it is hard to say this because 90% of the CF isn't high quality made and super expensive.

CF is a very popular trend so many people want it. This in turn creates a market for cheap CF which happens to be 90% of what you see.

When you start paying top dollar for smaller amounts of CF you will see a dramatic increase in quality. For example, if you look at Craftsquare mirrors. You won't see any flaws, it is super light and it wont discolor. Now when you take a look at a CF hood made by X company, the weave will most likely have runs in it, it won't be even, it will probably be just as heavy or near it, and it has a high chance of turning yellow.

To the OP. I personally don't think either of the companies you've named make good CF. Matter a fact I would dare say they make some of the lower echelon of CF products on the market.

If you are looking to get good CF products, expect to be paying top dollars.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:20 AM
terrorist22

Originally Posted by rxkevin
Well it is hard to say this because 90% of the CF isn't high quality made and super expensive.

CF is a very popular trend so many people want it. This in turn creates a market for cheap CF which happens to be 90% of what you see.

When you start paying top dollar for smaller amounts of CF you will see a dramatic increase in quality. For example, if you look at Craftsquare mirrors. You won't see any flaws, it is super light and it wont discolor. Now when you take a look at a CF hood made by X company, the weave will most likely have runs in it, it won't be even, it will probably be just as heavy or near it, and it has a high chance of turning yellow.

To the OP. I personally don't think either of the companies you've named make good CF. Matter a fact I would dare say they make some of the lower echelon of CF products on the market.

If you are looking to get good CF products, expect to be paying top dollars.
I agree. Top Secret's stuff probably isn't as good as ASMs or even Amuse's. I was wondering why their CF hatch was relatively cheap.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:22 AM
rxkevin

ASM stuff is really in a different league when you talk about CF. Their Dry Carbon S2000 is probably one of the sickest cars I have seen. As well as Amuse's Dry Carbon stuff.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:25 AM
z33allme

ASM stuff is really in a different league when you talk about CF. Their Dry Carbon S2000 is probably one of the sickest cars I have seen. As well as Amuse's Dry Carbon stuff.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Ivory

Dry CF or no CF should be the motto from now on. Demand for higher quality products...
Old 02-29-2008, 08:30 AM
Fleet Z

Noticed small cracks in the hood of my Seibon VT the other day. The hood is less than a year old and the car is only a Sunday ride and is garaged.

I think this hood was manufactured in China and another piece of crap being shipped into this country for US consumers to purchase.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:30 AM
rxkevin

Well I don't mean to bash on wet laid carbon at all. Matter a fact MasterGrade has some very good Carbon Fiber them selves. The weaves look very good, there is a saving of weight, but when you compare the price vs Seibon, you know where your money is going.

I just personally would never buy any mass produced CF products if I can. There is less quality control at that point.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:31 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like varis
Old 02-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Jim@Showstoppers
Banned

Well I don't mean to bash on wet laid carbon at all. Matter a fact MasterGrade has some very good Carbon Fiber them selves. The weaves look very good, there is a saving of weight, but when you compare the price vs Seibon, you know where your money is going.

I just personally would never buy any mass produced CF products if I can. There is less quality control at that point.

Mastergrade vacuum bags not hand laid.

Let's be honest guys, there are 3 types of carbon fiber products.

1- the most common and more inexpensive carbon is the wet hand laid pieces. These are companies like Seibon, Vis, Carbon Creations, etc. These are the hoods that are under $600, and quality is great for what you pay for.

2- Vacuum bagged or Vacuum infused carbon. The tensile strength is much higher then hand laid. They use atmospheric pressure to squeeze out any excess resin (resin=weight), thus creating a VERY light and very durable part. I only know of 2-3 companies in the US who use Vacuum technique. Mastergrade hoods go for $900.

3- Dry carbon. These are HARD CORE parts for true enthusiasts. The weight is roughly 4lbs lighter then that of a vacuum hood but the price is in most cases over $2000 for a hood. I don't know of any US made company who makes dry parts for the Z.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:31 AM
03redlineZ

I take it we are going off from a clean weave not dry vs. wet carbon...

I have the following and its all quality
Cwest, Autotecknic, Varis, Shine Auto Air duct, JIC Strut out of all those for prettiest weave... I would give it to Varis.

I had a Seibon hood, decent quality the weave was a 6-7 out of 10. Seibon is not the best though.... Maybe middle of the road.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:50 AM
rxkevin

Oh I didn't mean to say Mastergrade was hand laid. I know it is vacuum bagged. I was actually saying their stuff is pretty damn good =)
Old 02-29-2008, 11:04 AM
GHOST1207

anybody ever tried Carbon Creations?
Old 02-29-2008, 11:18 AM
T_K

Originally Posted by Jim@Showstoppers
Mastergrade vacuum bags not hand laid.

Let's be honest guys, there are 3 types of carbon fiber products.

1- the most common and more inexpensive carbon is the wet hand laid pieces. These are companies like Seibon, Vis, Carbon Creations, etc. These are the hoods that are under $600, and quality is great for what you pay for.

2- Vacuum bagged or Vacuum infused carbon. The tensile strength is much higher then hand laid. They use atmospheric pressure to squeeze out any excess resin (resin=weight), thus creating a VERY light and very durable part. I only know of 2-3 companies in the US who use Vacuum technique. Mastergrade hoods go for $900.

3- Dry carbon. These are HARD CORE parts for true enthusiasts. The weight is roughly 4lbs lighter then that of a vacuum hood but the price is in most cases over $2000 for a hood. I don't know of any US made company who makes dry parts for the Z.
Just to add to number 3, I think it goes into a vacuum oven of some sort so the boiling point of the resin lowers and is "boiled" off.

TK

Quick Reply: Who make the best CF?