Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My gf and friends got me a CF Hood for my Bday *Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 05:41 PM
phishie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My gf and friends got me a CF Hood for my Bday *Pics*

Heres a pic of my brand new awesome carbon fiber hood, and my friends fast *** Sileighty.
Attached Thumbnails My gf and friends got me a CF Hood for my Bday *Pics*-350.jpg  
Old 06-24-2003, 05:42 PM
phishie

sorry about the pic size. its all theyd let me post
Old 06-24-2003, 06:13 PM
NissaNZ

Nice man, BTW that's one phat 180 your friend has there.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:20 PM
MATIX

you dont really need a cf hood for a z, unless you like it for looks only....try to post abigger pic too, cant even tell its cf in that pic
Old 06-24-2003, 08:05 PM
2K350Z

Is that just the stock hood in CF? Have any better shots of it? How much did it run you, and how much does it weigh?

Sorry for all teh questions, just that I might be looking into getting one if it retains the look of the stock hood.

Thanks,
-S
Old 06-24-2003, 08:40 PM
zred

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how is the finish on the hood, also what did you pay for it?
Old 06-24-2003, 10:08 PM
importriders

Dude nice hood...and can you post more pics of the sil80.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:54 AM
phishie

Originally posted by MATIX
you dont really need a cf hood for a z, unless you like it for looks only....try to post abigger pic too, cant even tell its cf in that pic
yeah, i know im not saving much, if any, weight. but it looks soooooooo badass!
Old 06-25-2003, 02:56 AM
phishie

Originally posted by 2K350Z
Is that just the stock hood in CF? Have any better shots of it? How much did it run you, and how much does it weigh?

Sorry for all teh questions, just that I might be looking into getting one if it retains the look of the stock hood.

Thanks,
-S

looks exactly like stock hood, only carbon fiber. ill get some better shots tomorrow if the sun comes out, and it weighs a little less than stock. Not much though. As for price, I got it for a bday present, but I know it was more than 500 bucks.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:57 AM
phishie

Originally posted by importriders
Dude nice hood...and can you post more pics of the sil80.
IM me on AIM. my name is "ishotphish" i've got plenty of pics of the of his 240sx conversion.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:34 AM
2K350Z

Originally posted by phishie
looks exactly like stock hood, only carbon fiber. ill get some better shots tomorrow if the sun comes out, and it weighs a little less than stock. Not much though. As for price, I got it for a bday present, but I know it was more than 500 bucks.
Good deal. Thanks for the reponse, man. Looking forward to seeing more pictures of it.

-S
Old 06-25-2003, 09:37 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: My gf and friends got me a CF Hood for my Bday *Pics*

1. how is the latch attaching to the stock clasp? i.e. is there any movement or bowing while driving?

2. do you intend to use hood pins?

3. how many layer CF is it? two? can you see light on the other side?

4. looks good!

Originally posted by phishie
Heres a pic of my brand new awesome carbon fiber hood, and my friends fast *** Sileighty.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:16 PM
phishie

Default Re: Re: My gf and friends got me a CF Hood for my Bday *Pics*

Originally posted by Chebosto
1. how is the latch attaching to the stock clasp? i.e. is there any movement or bowing while driving?

2. do you intend to use hood pins?

3. how many layer CF is it? two? can you see light on the other side?

4. looks good!
the latch fits perfectly, but was a little short, so we had to move the assembly up a little bit, but it was no big deal. There is no need for hood pins. It is carbon fiber over fiberglass. But since even the best cf hood isn't going to save much weight over stock, Im just going for the look.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:36 PM
slay2k

Am I the only one who thinks CF hoods... or CF anything for that matter, is a waste of money ?

CF shift ***** ? Gimme a break.

Yeah, I bet you gain a nice amount of horsepower with all that weight loss.. in exchange for what, $300-400?
Old 06-25-2003, 04:16 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by slay2k
Am I the only one who thinks CF hoods... or CF anything for that matter, is a waste of money ?

Yeah, I bet you gain a nice amount of horsepower with all that weight loss.. in exchange for what, $300-400?
Something about the water in Jersey that gets everyone so annoyed and bitter.

I'm just playing with ya bro..

hate to say it but "whatever floats your boat"

It's the same reason why people spend hundreds of dollars on paintjobs and body kits that have no functionality going beyond aesthetics. Alot of people love the custom look of it and that's what matters.

I doubt anyone on this site bought their car out of just pure functionality. Theres always style and looks involved and thats a subjective thing.

I do agree on the excessive CF being tacky. Carbon fiber here and there is a nice look...but once it becomes the whole identity of a car.. that doesn't see alot of track time....it does look tacky.

I've seen a CF hood on a redline before and it doesn't look bad.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:35 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

egads--

carbon fiber over fiberglass?

so you're telling me, its a fiberglass hood with just a carbon lay over it?

uh oh.. then you're really not saving any thing.. probably weaker than stock hood....

a true three layer CF hood can withstand impacts and a person walking on top of it....
Old 06-26-2003, 09:51 AM
stokedxiv2

Originally posted by slay2k

you obviously don't understand the true value of weight savings... let me try to explain...

you sarcastically mention gaining hp by saving weight, and by saying that you really are trying to argue that a car won't be much faster in a straight line just by saving a few dozen pounds. However what you fail to realize is that weight savings is the BEST mod anyone can do to improve all aspects of performance for any car. Think about it, you save weight, and that in turn increases your hp/weight ratio of your car giving you your straight line performance, it also saves your brakes having to stop less mass, and in turn will also increase your handling capabilities due to the lessend load on the suspension and tires. And ontop of that if you save enough weight you can actually start to increase your MPG because your engine won't have nearly the same amount of load on it compared to the stock weight of the vehicle.

Granted, weight savings is still just another mod, but in my opinion you can't find any other type of mod that will improve all aspects of the car at the same time. Weight savings is the most crucial and most rewarding mod for the money.

(btw, an old drag racing rule of thumb is "every 100lbs you remove from the car, you get .1 - .2 seconds quicker in the 1/4 mile")
Old 06-26-2003, 11:42 AM
MATIX

Originally posted by stokedxiv2
you obviously don't understand the true value of weight savings... let me try to explain...

you sarcastically mention gaining hp by saving weight, and by saying that you really are trying to argue that a car won't be much faster in a straight line just by saving a few dozen pounds. However what you fail to realize is that weight savings is the BEST mod anyone can do to improve all aspects of performance for any car. Think about it, you save weight, and that in turn increases your hp/weight ratio of your car giving you your straight line performance, it also saves your brakes having to stop less mass, and in turn will also increase your handling capabilities due to the lessend load on the suspension and tires. And ontop of that if you save enough weight you can actually start to increase your MPG because your engine won't have nearly the same amount of load on it compared to the stock weight of the vehicle.

Granted, weight savings is still just another mod, but in my opinion you can't find any other type of mod that will improve all aspects of the car at the same time. Weight savings is the most crucial and most rewarding mod for the money.

(btw, an old drag racing rule of thumb is "every 100lbs you remove from the car, you get .1 - .2 seconds quicker in the 1/4 mile")
Your right for the most part, but when it comes to the Z, the hood is already really light since its aluminum, and a true CF hood is only gonna be like 3-4 lbs lighter than the stock hood so its really not gonna make any difference at all unless you just liike the look of it.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:18 PM
phishie

Alright i already said the hood doesn't give me any performance aspect. But i knew it wouldn't and i didn't need it too. It just looks badass. Why did you buy your Z? You could have had a cobra mustang for the same price, and its got tons more horsepower...you could have bought a used C5 vette, and that outhandles and outclasses our cars. But our cars have something those don't. THEY LOOK BADASS. Not everything is about raw horsepower. If all i wanted to do was go fast, i would have bought a street bike. IMO the hood looks awesome, and if you don't like it, than don't buy one.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:54 PM
qirex

Originally posted by 35oZephyR
Something about the water in Jersey that gets everyone so annoyed and bitter.

I'm just playing with ya bro..

hate to say it but "whatever floats your boat"

It's the same reason why people spend hundreds of dollars on paintjobs and body kits that have no functionality going beyond aesthetics. Alot of people love the custom look of it and that's what matters.

I doubt anyone on this site bought their car out of just pure functionality. Theres always style and looks involved and thats a subjective thing.

I do agree on the excessive CF being tacky. Carbon fiber here and there is a nice look...but once it becomes the whole identity of a car.. that doesn't see alot of track time....it does look tacky.

I've seen a CF hood on a redline before and it doesn't look bad.
its the water AND bad air...hehehe

no worries, I'm moving to San Diego in only 3 weeks.

CANT WAIT!!

Quick Reply: My gf and friends got me a CF Hood for my Bday *Pics*