Sponsored by:

UK Spec 06+ spec projecor lens vs US Spec- Differences spotted

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:29 PM
live2themaxuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK Spec 06+ spec projecor lens vs US Spec- Differences spotted

Hey all

in a bit to convert my 03 headlight to 06 Bi Xenons, i have aquired both a UK Spec Bi-Xenon unit and a US spec one.

On first impressions the differences were obvious

1)different indicator bulb
2)Different High/Low bean cut off point shutter mechanism
3)UK spec has auto-levelling motor

but after modding everything to fit, and installing, i also noticed that like the US spec lens has a sharp cut off point, the UK one is not so sharp and not only that, there is aLOT of cromatic abberation (?) prism effect around the cut off line on the UK projector

Looking at the projector i noticed a difference.

US spec projector lens= has a ridged effect on the lense

UK spec projector lens = has no ridges, but has a surface with fine dimples, almost like a golf ball

interesting. .. .

Kinda want another UK spec one now. . . i like the blue edge look

Jamie
Old 03-17-2008, 02:34 PM
DRFTER_Z

any pics? sounds interesting
Old 03-17-2008, 02:41 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm...are you talking about the fresneled US lens? There are no dimples in it (I thoroughly observed mine during previous modding). But in any case, you can buy a set of 3" clear (non-fresnel) replacement lenses for the projector and drop them in. Depend on how you do it, it can give you a nicely-colored cut-off as well.

The parameter ridges are actually quite coveted by some. I didn't know the UK Z came with them.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:46 PM
live2themaxuk

Ill take some picture when i have some time

Basically the US ones have the like of 'stone in the pond effect' circular ridges and the UK ones have just very fine dimples all over them resulting in a colourful cutoff.

Any links to these lenses, they sound cool

maybe ill mod if i decent to like black them out at some point

cheers

Jamie
Old 03-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

I think the thread in my sig has some good pictures of the OEM US lens vs. a replica JDM STi lens. Haven't seen one that is golf ball styled yet??
Old 03-17-2008, 07:41 PM
gregom

You can probably purchase lenses only, or swap someone... Also the cutoff shield will affect cutoff sharpness. I recommend you go to www.hidplanet.com and browse the forums, maybe even ask for help there. Some extremely knowledgable people that know more about projectors that probably anyone here. Subrwho and a few others are quite smart with this stuff but the guys over at hidplanet play with this stuff as a hobby.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

^^ You can indeed buy lenses only if you wish.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:46 PM
usmanasif

This is what the US-spec lens looks like. This is what's called fresneled:

Old 03-17-2008, 11:47 PM
live2themaxuk

Picture no worky, but doesnt matter. .

Yeah the US one seems to have a metal shutter, and the UK one a thicker plastic one, though the shape on the top cut into it isnt massivly differnt, infact the US has less of a step to it than the UK one

Jamie
Old 03-18-2008, 06:33 AM
usmanasif

It is working now. Server was probably down when you checked.

Yes, we have metal shield for the projector. If UK is plastic, then I wonder how the highbeam works as on this side of the pond, a magnet is engergized when highbeam is activated and it instantly pulls the shield down, revealing the light...
Old 03-18-2008, 07:19 AM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

That's not how the shield works usman. The magnet does not pull the shield down and I can create a video of it working if needed. How it works is this. When the voltage is applied, it sends out a ram that is atteched to a lever whitch pulls the shield down. The ram shoots out forward towards the projector causing the lever to drop pulling the shield down with it. The material it's made of doesn't have any affect to it's function. The shield could be made out of corn flakes and it'd still work the same. Neat stuff.

BTW, I got your shipping in order for today. Package goes out at 3pm central.

Last edited by Nic@CiNcity; 03-18-2008 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:07 AM
usmanasif

I would love to see a corn flakes HID unit...will keep me fed during projects. Thanks for explaining it, makes sense. The thin copper wire around the base is probably for the ram deployment instead then.

Your box is all set to go. I will send you the tracking info in the afternoon. It is scheduled to arrive there Friday.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:00 AM
live2themaxuk

OK Pics time!

Here are some pictures of the different lenses. I may take some beam pattern shots at some point too, but basically, UK cut off is no way near as sharp and has almost a hot point in the center where USA lens is evenly spread with sharp cut off, and not so 'colourful'

This is the UK Projector with 'golf ball' markings

This is the USA Projector with ridges

Whatcha guys thinking

Jamie
Old 03-19-2008, 11:59 AM
folgrz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

that i want that auto leveling motor in my headlights now!
Old 03-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

That's strange, but trust me, you don't want an OEM US spec lens. They're garbage. If you want, I can send you a clear lens that will blow both OEM versions out of the water.

Also, Does your 350 auto level the headlights? I don't keep up on the specs outside of the US.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:07 PM
usmanasif

Wow! I have seen many lenses but never ones with those golf ball indentations; quite interesting. I cannot fathom the planning behind those as they would scatter light, and projector-based HID systems' claim to fame is their ability to offer focused, evenly-dispersed band of light with zero hotspots. US spec lenses are certainly better in that aspect, but not ideal, as pointed above. Hence why I am switching to crystal-clear lenses that just arrived today. These babies will look killer!

Thanks for sharing the pics. Always good to know what else is out there.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:27 PM
live2themaxuk

Can i ask how you are gonna swap the lenses over? Is it an oven bake job?

Also, if that was the case, would it not be benificial for me to also swap out the Low beam shutters to ones which reflect the side of the road i drive on? Are they available seperately?

Clear lenses sound cool, and actually, after driving with them both (one side US and one side UK), i actually PREFER the USA one now, ive got over the nice colour of the UK one, i actually dont like the hot spot it produces.

Have also, not tried self levelling, i have left it disconnected. I actually had to fully re-wire my 03 JDM Z headlight harnesses to fit the new 06 Bi Xenons. On both the US and the UK 06 Units had 8 pins (and thus a larger connector) as opposed to only 6 in my 03 model. The USA one has one pin missing, 7, the 8th is used by the Self Levelling and i believe the BCM must control this as i doubt it has the gyro in the headlight, its usually on a rear axle or something to judge suspension compression AFAIK. I mannaged to pull out all the pins with a fine screwdriver and just pop them back in to the old connectors, no worries.

J

Jamie

Last edited by live2themaxuk; 03-19-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

So that's what the missing pin in the connector is for. Interesting. I really should get a wiring diagram. I'm sure it'd say on there. Anyone have one by chance??

^^ And yes, you need to open your headlight to swap the lens.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:51 PM
usmanasif

Originally Posted by live2themaxuk
Can i ask how you are gonna swap the lenses over? Is it an oven bake job?

Also, if that was the case, would it not be benificial for me to also swap out the Low beam shutters to ones which reflect the side of the road i drive on? Are they available seperately?

Clear lenses sound cool, and actually, after driving with them both (one side US and one side UK), i actually PREFER the USA one now, ive got over the nice colour of the UK one, i actually dont like the hot spot it produces.
Yes, as Subrwho mentioned, you must open the light to access the lens. Basically, the large chrome reflector is screwed into the clear plaxiglass case and the plastic shroud is attached to that, so both will pull off the main assembly together when your first pull the cover off. Then the metal lens retainer will be visible that is held in by just 2 screws. Lens is thus very quick and easy to swap out if you have the lights off the car already.

Yes, it is logical for you to switch out your light shield. But you already have the parts you need; just switch out the right side with the left in your US lights. I haven't looked at mine close enough to see how feasible it is, but logically, I don't foresee a problem.

But I am confused. You have both US and UK bi-xenon lights, correct? If so, why not just swap out the lenses between the two and be done with it? Your UK lights already have the shields on the correct side.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:11 PM
live2themaxuk

How much would these clear lenses go for?

Well, yeah, basically the UK side obviously has correct low beam shutter, but the USA one doesnt, i wondered if there was a way to 'flip' the USA metal shield around to the cut off became lower on the right as opposed to left.

any pics of the innards of these 06 Bi's?

Jamie

Quick Reply: UK Spec 06+ spec projecor lens vs US Spec- Differences spotted