Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Hood?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 09:03 PM
amai21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Hood?

I am interested in purchasing a carbon fiber hood. Any suggestions? I would like to have one that would have an exact fitting, and overall would have the best quality. Thank you for the suggestions.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:03 AM
mgl

carbon fiber hoods are cool, they are really light and look nice on most cars depending on the color of the car. my boyfriend has a cf hood on his rsx and it looks cool. but be prepared to get hood pins to ensure that the hood stays on at high speeds. i'm not real sure of what companies are making cf hoods for the 350z, but i know VIS is pretty good.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:16 AM
jckolnturn

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=34810

All the carbon fiber you could want in above thread. I saw his bumper, wing and skirts first hand and the fit was excellent, much better even than the replica nismo stuff i see out there. I haven't seen the hood first hand but talk to him about it. One question though; the stock hood on the 350Z is aluminum, Carbon Fiber is not gonna save you too much in the weight department, are you just going for that look?
Old 07-03-2003, 12:42 PM
MATIX

Originally posted by mgl
carbon fiber hoods are cool, they are really light and look nice on most cars depending on the color of the car. my boyfriend has a cf hood on his rsx and it looks cool. but be prepared to get hood pins to ensure that the hood stays on at high speeds. i'm not real sure of what companies are making cf hoods for the 350z, but i know VIS is pretty good.
Speaking from personal experience, VIS products are of very low quality.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:01 PM
phishie

here is my cf hood. My gf bought it for me for my bday. It fits perfectly, just like stock. Its not much lighter, maybe a couple pounds...but i knew this I just love the look of a cf hood on a red car. Mines actually fiberglass with a carbon fiber overlay, so it doesn't need hood pins. The weave is very tight, and the clear coat is nice and shiny. I took the car up to 130 yesterday with no problems, so I know i don't need pins. Only problem is, i don't know who made the hood...but whoever it was did a good job

and, i don't know why but for some reason my car looks orange in this pic. Its redline.
Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber Hood?-350fot.jpg  
Old 07-03-2003, 01:09 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure what if any of them are TRUE cf, but Im pretty sure most are fiberglass with carbon overlay, making them pretty well worthless as anything short of an appearance modification. eventually the real stuff will come, but I dont think its been long enough to properly make one yet.

I know cwest has one that looks pretty good, but it has to be imported to get the cf version in america.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:13 PM
phishie

Originally posted by ares
not sure what if any of them are TRUE cf, but Im pretty sure most are fiberglass with carbon overlay, making them pretty well worthless as anything short of an appearance modification. eventually the real stuff will come, but I dont think its been long enough to properly make one yet.

I know cwest has one that looks pretty good, but it has to be imported to get the cf version in america.

theres no reason to get "the real stuff" You'd be saving about as much wait as if you didn't eat for a couple days. And with the fiberglass underlay, you don't have to use hood pins, which are a pet peave of mine.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:14 PM
phishie

bottom line is, if you like the looks of a cf hood than get one...if you're trying to save more than 5 pounds, this isn't the mod to do that.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:30 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no I agree with you, carbon fiber hoods are pretty useless on our car(you are clear on what you wanted, if your getting it for appearance, then it is very much justified), I guess maybe when you come to a point that 4 or 5 lbs really matters then maybe... but a true cf hood can cost ALOT, certainly better places to drop the weight, such as any other panel on the car since hood is the only aluminum one. but there are no carbon fiber quarter panels, or bumpers, or even wings that Ive seen.

cept possibly cwest as I said, I heard it was true cf, but the pricing that I heard was way too low IMO.

Last edited by ares; 07-03-2003 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:39 PM
mgl

Originally posted by MATIX
Speaking from personal experience, VIS products are of very low quality.
what happened with your VIS hood?? the one on the rsx is nice, well at least so far....
anything to look out for?????
Old 07-03-2003, 10:42 PM
amai21

Ya I realize there is really no weight difference. Mainly I am going for looks. I feel that it will look really nice on the Silverstone.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:30 AM
MATIX

Originally posted by mgl
what happened with your VIS hood?? the one on the rsx is nice, well at least so far....
anything to look out for?????
Every body kit from VIS i've seen is shitty fiberglass, and it doesnt fit right, and every CF hood i've seen turns milky after awhile when its in the sun.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:23 AM
React3

try www.fiberimages.com is probably the best hoods I've seen