Sponsored by:

My bud got a G35C...a little jealous of some of his features

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 02:18 AM
zdork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ZDORK...

Originally posted by TIGHT-Z

Just my .2 cents, from a more experienced Z owner.

It's none of my business how much experience you have at gettting slammed in the head with a bag full of rocks.

So if some mustang or camaro beats you in the 1/4 its a better "sports" car than yours even though we could tear it a new hole on a race track? You make no sense. How often do you see a real sports car on a drag strip?

There's a modified '86 Dodge CARAVAN at my local strip that can run high 10's. I guess its a better "sports car" than ours because it can own my 350.

I will race the 1/4 every so often for fun with friends, but its a hit or miss thing and I think its a totally irrelevant way to pass judgement on a sports car's abilities.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:19 AM
2003z

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: No.

Originally posted by ihatethatbobbarker
i useto think that, but to my knowledge theres only one full 2JZ swap in the US, (several older lexus SC300s though have it, theres one in the process at bodypros in garden grove)
with my own eyes ive seen 2 3SGTE swaps into IS300's and i wouldnt be surprised if theirs more.
i dont lurk on an altezza/is300 boards so i could be wrong.
I had an IS. Its comes with the 2JZ engine. Not many 2JZGTE swaps due to price and rarity of the engine, I would think.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:20 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

Originally posted by EmpiricalGMan
As I was telling someone else, how is my car any more a Nissan Skyline than an Infiniti G35? It has NOTHING in common with a Skyline. No Skyline ever had a V6, let alone a VQ engine. No Skylines were built on the FM platform. No Skylines have been rwd since the early 90s. No Skylines look the slightest bit like my car. Clearly, calling my car a Nissan Skyline in Japan is just some marketting ploy to get shallow people to associate it with a completely different image. And since it can't really be a Skyline, the only thing left for it to be is an Infiniti G35. Furthermore, because there are three times as many Infiniti models running VQ35 engines on FM platforms with RWD drivetrains as there are Nissans, perhaps it would be more accurate to call the 350Z a re-badged Infiniti using the Z name to boost its image.

thats strange, my japanease brochure(which is more like a novel, its massive) for the 2003 skyline looks suspiciously like my G35 but with the steering wheel on the wrong side.

2003Z
im aware, i got a quote for a customer once from SP engineering and it was $17k to swap the motor and some other stuff they threw in as part of it. i know it involves moving the firewall.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:59 PM
old_s13

[QUOTE]Originally posted by EmpiricalGMan

I read the "riceboy" comment as tongue-in-cheek, personally. "Rice" has nothing to do with engines or actual performance, just image. I think we can agree that, between the two, the Z is the one that's trying really hard to look fast. Of course, because it actually IS fast, it doesn't qualify as a rice-mobile (stock, anyway). The R-word just gets thrown around way too much. But again, I don't think that comment was meant to be taken seriously.

All I am saying is that the word "rice" isnt exactly appreciated by me, let alone others. I am not of asian descent, I just know better than to use words like that. If a car was made in Mexico, I wouldnt call it a bean-car.. if someone is from Mexico, I wouldnt call him a bean-er. Its just common sense. Sure, I know there are some poorly fixed up cars with stupid appearances.. but there are other words we can use for cars and style like that.

As for the Z, it has never been a "rice-like" car. The only people who have ever used words like that are typically ignorant muscle-car owners who consider ANY Japanese sports-car a "rice-grinder." People need to understand that there is a difference between the two. Shame on people for even using words like that, its just ignorant.

See above re: image. Most cars are bought in whole or part for image. SUVs are the prime example. But does your Z need to be styled so aggressively?

I never purchased my car based on image, I purchased it because I like its characteristics, function, and of course.. appearance.. but not IMAGE. Image is what people THINK of your car, it being "glamorous." My car has never had any glamour to it, until I started modifying it. Besides, I dont consider the 350Z to have over-aggressive styling.. it looks like a normal sports-car SHOULD -- PERFECT. What cars DONT look good? RX-8. I dont understand how you can go from the FD to that, its just confusing. But anyway, I digress.

Not for long. Toyota has announced that Lexus dealerships will open in Japan within the next year and a half. Acura and Infiniti could follow. So would an IS300 still be a Toyota then? Do they need to have their own dedicated design team, even if two Toyotas might not have a single engineer in common during their design?

Personally, I dont think it matters because regardless of the "design team," the cars use WAY too many of the same parts. Thats ALL that matters. When you see the 2JZ-GE being used in the Lexus GS300, SC300, and NA A8 Toyota Supra.. you start to realize how little the difference the badge makes. Yes, a Lexus will always have certain character differences between the Toyota.. but none that should make the cars drastically different.

As I was telling someone else, how is my car any more a Nissan Skyline than an Infiniti G35? It has NOTHING in common with a Skyline. No Skylines have been rwd since the early 90s.

Incorrect. All NISSAN did was separate the GT-R from the Skyline. Previous, there were several trims of Skyline's that you could purchase: the GT-S was a RWD config, while the GT-R has always been the switching AWD configuration. So, the cars will have quite a bit in common. What exacty, is hard to determine since the R35 GT-R has not been released yet. BUT, rumor has it it will no longer be using the RB straight six motor. We'll see...

- Mike

Last edited by old_s13; 07-07-2003 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:15 PM
old_s13

Default Re: Re: Re: No.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2003z
[QUOTE][i]
as for is300 motors swaps, theres the 3S-GTE out of mr2turbos and celica alltracs.

the most correct is300 swap is the twin turbo supra engine, as they are both the same block.
I hear fitment is an issue with the 2JZ-GTE since the turbo's take up quite a bit of room. With the NA motor, the intake manifold sits ontop of the motor, its quite ugly and VERY difficult to access certain things.. such as the SPARK PLUGS!!! (sigh)

I am not sure if the turbo motor seems like the way to go with the IS. You have to take into account, the Supra is quite heavy.. and its mainly because of the motor. This is why they throw in the 3S-GTE into many of the Supra race-cars, better balancing.. (although less street-driveable). Most of the Supra's in the US are great high-speed cars, but not so quick and nimble in the canyons. Its the same reason Z32 300Z owners in Japan would get rid of the VG V6 and install the oh-so-popular SR20DET. Its not uncommon for people to squeeze out 400-500 out of that 4-cylinder.. plus, its light and OH so easy to upgrade on work on, vs the six.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:28 PM
qirex

Default Re: Re: The G35 being little show and NO go? Right. What have you been smoking. You put these

Originally posted by zdork
You are very ignorant.

A 350Z cannot "crush" a G35 Coupe by two car lengths in the 1/4. I'm not saying that *you* didn't, but that Coupe driver must have been a real novice. Also, straight-line racing is for pansies. Seeing who can drive in a straight line for 1/4 mile the fastest is no way to pass judgement on a car's prowess.

Also, for your information, in the latest Best Motoring video the Skyline Coupe BEAT the Fairlady Z in a track race. And the post-race comments raved of the Coupe's handling over the Z. It handled every corner tighter and faster!!

Just an FYI from a ZEE owner!!!
Due that BMV was soo lame. I dont understand why they do stupid **** like

1) Have one car start out in front
2) put a car that outpowers all other in the mix

So basically the G starts off, the Z closes the gap right away, but of course gets passed on the staright by the M3. Certainly it would be a drivers race vbtw the two, but I think that the inclusion of the M3 starting behind the Z for a 3 lap race really killed any sort of competition.

Either way - both great cars. If I could have found a G6MT while my lude was dying I may have gotten one instead. Its just that my Z test drive got me *hooked*.

I too was amazed at the diff btw the two cars when you drive them. The biggest diff for me (6'5") was that you sit "on" the G vs the sitting "in" the Z. (Kinda like riding a Haybusa vs a ZX12) The seating position is much lower in the Z. Even with the Gs seat fully down (height) My head still rubbed.

I was pretty surprised by that fact.

Either way, i always turn around when I hear that characteristic G/z exhaust tone - nice.

One thing I've been noticing lately around here that def'm bucking the trend...GIRLS IN Zs!! YAY!! Great taste ladies. I'm sure the marketing wizards are scratching their heads .
Old 07-07-2003, 09:57 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

yeah all i Z in G35C are old men and me when i drive by a shiny building, i see all sorts of different people in the Z.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:26 PM
john0213

this is what we call "multi"kind of people"lism" in the Z i think
refer to multicuturalism man~