Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Repair Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 10:02 PM
BlackZ05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Repair Questions

I've had my Z for probably a year an i've noticed one of the problems i'm gonna post but I did not notice the 2nd one till after I started waxing the roof an bumped one of the pieces the runs up an over the window where it covers the edges of the roof. Whats happening is its actually popped or coming off from where its attached, its its worse on one side then other but both sides are slowly doing it. I tried pressing on the piece from top to bottom to see if it snaps in or maybe popped out from a clip. The following picture is me putting my finger next to the roof piece the only piece i'm actually pulling up a bit is the weather stripping just so you can see how high its sitting off the roof. If i pull on it at the very back where it meets up with the trunk i can actually pull it up a good amount with out even really using effort. *Sorry about picture it was done using a camera phone*

The second picture is the passenger side, side skirt it doesnt sit flush like the driver side an is actually popped out from where it loosk like its suppose to be in the door way.

If anyone knows any fixes besides the body shop please let me know, i'm gonna end up heading to the body shop anyway in a few weeks to fix paint problems.I'd just like to fix what i can my self being body shops can get pricey.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:50 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

The answers to both your questions...

Problem # 1: The window weather stripping is actually glued on, or atleast that's the way it was on my old car. I had a window man replace my old windshield and watched him glue the stripping on. The glue has come undone. You can buy some black RTV silicone at the autoparts store and use the little plastic attachment that comes with it to squeeze some silicone in there. place something heavy enough on top to mash it down overnight. This will hold it in place for a year or so. The summer heat will eventually wear it down again.

Problem # 2:

That portion of the OEM sideskirt is held flush to the frame of the car by double sided tape believe it or not. The original tape has probably worn off also. You can pick up a roll or 3M at Home Depot. You'll have to remove the entire side skirt, which is pretty easy, then replace the tape with some fresh one.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:04 AM
03Zilverstone

The plastic pillar in the first pic is held by a series of posts that snap into clamps on the body of the cars. The way the clamps are made they allow horizontal adjustment to the pillar. It looks like it's adjusted too far in the front and not letting the rear posts into the clips. It would probably have to be taken off and put back on being sure to line it up right. That piece is also incorporated into the weatherstripping on the inside of the door/glass.

The side skirts are held on with the same method as the pillar, a post/clamp system. Looks like the posts at the rear quarter aren't in the clamps good.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:17 AM
BlackZ05

Thank you both for your help, guess i'll be spending some time soon carefully removing things. Hopefully those clips are as easy to break as the ones in the doors.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:21 AM
03Zilverstone

Originally Posted by BlackZ05
Thank you both for your help, guess i'll be spending some time soon carefully removing things. Hopefully those clips are as easy to break as the ones in the doors.

They're not too bad, just watch that weatherstripping for the pillars. Not the little strip in the pic, but the one inside the door glass. I think you have to take out some screws, but it's been a while since I had those off.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:36 AM
BlackZ05

Thought i just updated this, my brother took the car over to nissan an they told him they'd cover everything an have it fixed including the paint problems i have on the door since its bubbling.