Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag ON/OFF switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 05:10 AM
350mexZcan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag ON/OFF switch

Ok, excuse me if I could not find this in the FAQ section. I have researed this and I am currently in the process of getting this done. I was just wondering if

A: Anyone ever had this done on thier '03?
B: Anyone can tell me why Nissan does not know what the hell I am talking about when I approached them about getting it done?

My major complaint is that in my 2003 owners manual in the airbag/SRS section it states that nissan will do the install for you and you have to go through thier parts department to aquire the kit for it. The problem is that when I did this they all looked at me like I was crazy. I took it up as far as I could go at the parts counter. I even called Nissan of north america's consumer affairs depot to try and get some answers.

All of this could have been avoided if nissan had simply installed it as an option before it hit the streets. They did however address the issue with the addition of the occupant sensor in the passenger seats in later models.

Please, let me know if you have any info on this.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:52 PM
rockinbboy

Yeah, its not as simple as it sounds and I know what you are talking about. Nissan did state that in their manual but nobody ever gets it done and since talk about it is practically non-existant, its no surprise that the dealers don't have a clue about what you are talking about.

The major concern here is the safety issue for installing it since the airbag can deploy accidently during the install.

Good luck getting this work done. I think maybe a handful of Zers here have done it...either through a dealer or aftermarket.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:27 PM
350mexZcan

Thanks bro. Has anybody here had this done?
I am in talks with this company based out of Maryland that installs a "universal" on/off switch. they want $160 for the kit plus $10 shipping and handling. Oh, yeah--I almost forgot---THATS ME INSTALLING IT!!!
company name is "sensible solutions" website is www.airbagonoff.com
Old 07-28-2008, 06:32 PM
raycs7

I need the instructions for the installation of that switch if you find one.
There was a Nissan TSB on this and I saw the switch in 2003.
Most Niisan people are clueless about the switch.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:48 PM
dmroberson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about getting an airbag on/off switch put into my 06, but I read that you have to have NHTSA approval first. Then they will send a switch to an approved body shop, to have the install completed. I'll see if I can find that info again. Been a little while since I read it.

Last edited by dmroberson; 07-28-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:10 PM
350ZMPH

PM this guy "roncfpz" he know what to do...
Old 05-14-2009, 09:32 AM
thepostman

Originally Posted by 350mexZcan
Ok, excuse me if I could not find this in the FAQ section. I have researed this and I am currently in the process of getting this done. I was just wondering if

A: Anyone ever had this done on thier '03?
B: Anyone can tell me why Nissan does not know what the hell I am talking about when I approached them about getting it done?

My major complaint is that in my 2003 owners manual in the airbag/SRS section it states that nissan will do the install for you and you have to go through thier parts department to aquire the kit for it. The problem is that when I did this they all looked at me like I was crazy. I took it up as far as I could go at the parts counter. I even called Nissan of north america's consumer affairs depot to try and get some answers.

All of this could have been avoided if nissan had simply installed it as an option before it hit the streets. They did however address the issue with the addition of the occupant sensor in the passenger seats in later models.

Please, let me know if you have any info on this.
I realized you posted this back in July 08, which switch did you end up installing? Sensible solutions (no fuse) or the AOI Electric (with fuse)? I have a 2004 and will go with AOI electrical bc it as the fuse and they are way more professional that Sensible Solutions. Did you have them install it or did you DIY?

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2010, 09:41 AM
350mexZcan

Default Airbag update

Originally Posted by thepostman
I realized you posted this back in July 08, which switch did you end up installing? Sensible solutions (no fuse) or the AOI Electric (with fuse)? I have a 2004 and will go with AOI electrical bc it as the fuse and they are way more professional that Sensible Solutions. Did you have them install it or did you DIY?

Thanks!
I wound up going with sensible solutions. I did it myself took about 1.5 hours and they guy (tech support) literally walked me through the whole thing over the phone. good company. I am pretty electrically savy ...but, my first born will be riding in my Z soI needed it to be perfect. Happy so far. Even came with a cool key switch and LED safe light acknowledge.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:55 PM
JEKL

Originally Posted by 350mexZcan
I wound up going with sensible solutions. I did it myself took about 1.5 hours and they guy (tech support) literally walked me through the whole thing over the phone. good company. I am pretty electrically savy ...but, my first born will be riding in my Z soI needed it to be perfect. Happy so far. Even came with a cool key switch and LED safe light acknowledge.
Can you post some pics? I am curious about this myself. Also, about how much did it cost?
Old 03-13-2010, 02:14 PM
huyrua

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JEKL
Can you post some pics? I am curious about this myself. Also, about how much did it cost?
Wants to know also (my first born in the passenger seat too)