Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clear bra installer NY or NJ

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 05:55 AM
havabooz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clear bra installer NY or NJ

anyone have a good experience with a clear bra installer in NY or NJ..please post...im looking for a good installer with a good price
Old 07-28-2003, 06:56 AM
afr0puff

http://www.se-ex.com

Don't have enough good things to say about them.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:28 AM
Sanderman

Originally posted by afr0puff
http://www.se-ex.com

Don't have enough good things to say about them.
I'll second that. Very good work and follow-up.

joe
Old 07-28-2003, 07:34 AM
havabooz

just called them...they quoted me about 590 for full front and rear bumper (no hood or mirros or fenders)...does this sound like a good price...if your gonna ask why i have to put it on the rear bumper..if you live in NY youll know that people have no regard for cars around them while parking
Old 07-28-2003, 09:48 AM
Sanderman

Originally posted by havabooz
just called them...they quoted me about 590 for full front and rear bumper (no hood or mirros or fenders)...does this sound like a good price...if your gonna ask why i have to put it on the rear bumper..if you live in NY youll know that people have no regard for cars around them while parking
Yes, because he doesnt use kits. Kits leave 1/2" to 3/4" of uncovered paint around the edges of the nose, hood and fenders. He wraps the material around the edges of the panels using raw sheets and cuts it to fit - a completely custom job. The only edges you will have are where the sheets end on the hood and fenders. That makes the job FAR less visible than with any kit. For a custom wrapped job his price is very fair.

My only advice would be to avoid using Avery film. It looks a bit dull and very orange peeled. He also uses 3M and that will have a much better shine and finish, though the Avery is a bit tougher.

Joe
Old 07-28-2003, 11:09 AM
afr0puff

My friend, I had the rear bumper done also. i know what you mean. I was rear ended by some ***** who doesn't know how to park. The clear bra saved my bumper from scratches. The clear bra does get scuffed up, but you can buff it out with an orbital polisher and a mild abrassive.

$800 for me. Full hood, front bumper, and rear bumper. Dude, you definitely want to get your hood done. if not all, then at least the first 12 inches or whatever everyone else gets done.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:09 PM
krinkov

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Sanderman
Yes, because he doesnt use kits. Kits leave 1/2" to 3/4" of uncovered paint around the edges of the nose, hood and fenders. He wraps the material around the edges of the panels using raw sheets and cuts it to fit - a completely custom job. The only edges you will have are where the sheets end on the hood and fenders. That makes the job FAR less visible than with any kit. For a custom wrapped job his price is very fair.

My only advice would be to avoid using Avery film. It looks a bit dull and very orange peeled. He also uses 3M and that will have a much better shine and finish, though the Avery is a bit tougher.

Joe
A good installer should keep all precut kit edges under 1/4", we keep ours around 1/8"(look close at the pic) As for Avery, it does have a bit less glossy finish than 3M, but a coat of wax fixes that. Also, Avery resists yellowing better then 3M so its the only film we use on PPW and chrome silver. On black cars or close to black we only use 3M since avery has a slight opaque-ness that is only vissible on black cars.

I also agree, Thomas at Secondary Exposure is an excellent installer. Everyone I have refered out to him has been completely satisfied
Old 07-28-2003, 11:10 PM
krinkov

whoops! heres that pic
Attached Thumbnails clear bra installer NY or NJ-993a.jpg  

Last edited by krinkov; 07-28-2003 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:04 AM
havabooz

these replies kick ***....but im still confused

go with 3m for th better shine

or avery for better protection and long term avoidance of yellowing

Old 07-29-2003, 06:55 AM
Sanderman

these replies kick ***....but im still confused

go with 3m for th better shine

or avery for better protection and long term avoidance of yellowing

Go see one. One look at Avery on my hood and the huge amount of orange peel texture it had told me NO WAY. So it was replaced. The Avery isn't just duller, it has a very orange peeled texture and wax won't make that go away. And three coats of carnuba didn't made it as shiny as the body or 3M or Venture bras. The hood with Avery had enough difference in texture and reflectivity you could see the difference in that panel on the car from 6 to 8 feet away pretty easily.

Regarding longevity - you probabably arent going to have a clear bra on your car for 5 years anyway. It ends up taking the abuse your paint would and while it won't chip easily it does gradually succumb to dings and knicks and it will exentually need to be replaced.

No one can tell you which to get. If you want durability at the expense of appearance go Avery. If you want something that looks more like paint in terms of it's gloss and texture and will trade off a bit of life go 3M. Best of all worlds go with Venture (shiny and durable, but harder to install without bubbles and silvering - and almost no one offers it). In my experience installers tend to prefer Avery because it is easier to install.

Your choice.

joe
Old 07-29-2003, 07:59 AM
havabooz

ok ok...3m it is...secondary exposure offers 3m right?....they wont charge me more for 3m than they will for avery will they?
Old 07-29-2003, 08:45 AM
krinkov

Avery is only slighty chaper than 3M so there should not be any price difference, Since you have a silverstone you should be just fine with 3M. 3Ms only slightly yellows over time on white or close to white colors.