Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint blending question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:16 PM
NYPZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint blending question

I have an 03 z silverstone and the paint on the car is in showroom shape. Someone crunched my fender on the pass side so it needs replacing. The shop i went to gave me a strokejob on saying how the bumper, door and maybe hood would have to be painted as well to blend in with the new paint on the fender and run between 900 and 1200. I have no idea why anything else would need to be painted since its all in mint shape and not faded or anything. I was thinkin i can pick up a fender for under 200, sand it myself and drop it off for paint, and install myself for like 300-400. Is this blending story bs or what.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:34 PM
Blazemaster

Sounds legit to me. Not sure if you're talking about the front or rear fenders? If you're talking about the rear fenders it will be much more cost on labor compared to the front fenders. fyi, the rear fenders are welded to the chasis, and I really doubt that most average Joes would have the tools and resource to work on it themselves. The paintjob that you're quoted is about average and actually a much better price than most here in CA.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:45 PM
NYPZ

yea its the front fender. So i should suck it up and pay the deduct. or just do it myself.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:52 PM
DUBZRO

how much is your deduct...
the paint doesnt come to a 100% match so they blend the surrounding parts so that u can see where one paint ends and the other begins.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:54 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you definitely have to blend the paint. What you do is start sanding the clear coat partially on teh door or wherever the new paint is going to fade into. Then reclear all if it again. Doing this will give it a good match to the naked eye. If you don't do this, your car in different lighting or pictures, won't match.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:24 PM
racerfreakxxx

repaint the whole car a new color
Old 08-01-2008, 07:17 AM
Peteski

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
you definitely have to blend the paint. What you do is start sanding the clear coat partially on teh door or wherever the new paint is going to fade into. Then reclear all if it again. Doing this will give it a good match to the naked eye. If you don't do this, your car in different lighting or pictures, won't match.
I have a superblack and would like to go with some kind of body kit, so this blending you do has to be done for a body kit also I take it
Old 08-01-2008, 07:55 AM

I didn't realize silverstone was that hard to match.

White paint, a 2 stage paint or a custom paint (ex: added pearls, candy etc.) is hard to match... but with silverstone I think they could just repaint the fender... could be wrong though.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:14 AM
ParanoidAndroid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

silverstone is actually a little hard to match.
I would have to agree with that body shop on having the paint the door and hood to match the paint, but not the bumper. Thats how we do it atleast at my body shop. the base coat is fanned out onto the surrounding the door and hood, not the whole hood/door just a little to blend out so it's just not a solid line that stops the different colors. and then the door/hood/fender are all re-cleared.
lol hope that makes sense.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:16 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Peteski
I have a superblack and would like to go with some kind of body kit, so this blending you do has to be done for a body kit also I take it
you won't have to blend on superblack. Superblack contains no pearl or metallics and is a very dark color anyways.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:15 PM
dryseals

The blending story is not BS and it's very common. No matter how hard you try, an exact match to the paint you have will always be a problem. Thus a good paint man will blend the paint from the new part to somewhere on the existing car. If you just do the fender and stick it on there, there's a good chance you'll see a difference in color and shine from the clear.

I've painted cars for over 20 years now, side line not professional, and when the wife backed up into my truck, I still let the shop do the work mainly for the blend.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:38 PM
NYPZ

cool thanks for the advice, its goin to the shop end of the month.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:41 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Only my driver door was keyed, but my bodyshop told me they're going to repaint the entire side of my car to blend in the colors and prevent obvious color mismatching.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:13 AM
zulator03

actually i just paintd my front bumper all u need to do it wetsand it down take off the clearcoat then after that get your paintcode front left of the car by the battery and paint it. make sure u duct take the black grille tho
Old 08-06-2008, 08:38 AM
03Zilverstone

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
Any panel that will be painted/blended has to be completely sanded. You blend the paint on the last panel and reclear it all. If you partially sand a panel and try to blend the clear you'll have peel/fade problems down the road.

And it's best to blend any paint no matter what. A standard base is no more immune to fading than anything else.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:39 AM
03Zilverstone

Originally Posted by zulator03
actually i just paintd my front bumper all u need to do it wetsand it down take off the clearcoat then after that get your paintcode front left of the car by the battery and paint it. make sure u duct take the black grille tho
Don't want to go below the clear coat or you could easily get base lift problems. You just want to get the clear sanded smooth without going through.