Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

Head light adjustment 08 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008 | 11:00 AM
Richard T

Default Head light adjustment 08 350Z

Since March this year I am the proud owner of an 08 350Z.

However I have one item which I find really annoying. At night the Xenon head lights cut off so short that I find it very difficult to drive on dipped lights and end up slowing down everytime I meet another car on a country road.

Our Mercedes S class you can see significantly further on dipped lights. The lights are obviously legal on the basis the car has passed several UK MOT tests.

The Nissan dealer merely tells me it is because I am sitting lower but it just makes the night driving a nightmare and we tend to take the Mercedes instead, especially when it's raining.

Any one else feel the same, any suggestions other than going back to the dealer and ask again?

FridaT
Old 08-02-2008 | 11:07 AM
Watkins

I am not quite familiar with the terms you are using but do you mean that you want to adjust the beam height on the bi-xenons to make it higher? All it takes is a phillips head screwdriver to raise or lower our lights.
Old 08-02-2008 | 11:12 AM
Watkins

Using the search:

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-in...djustment.html

Originally Posted by 03redlineZ
It is the same as the 03-05... I bought an 8 Inch Phillips screwdriver the only tool you will need.

Get a flash light and shine it down the side of the headlight, you should see a set of little metal teeth or a gear.... Get the screwdriver in that hole and have the screwdriver as straight up as possible and slowly start to turn clockwise for up and counter for down.... Make sure to mark where they were before...

I had to re adjust mine 3 times to get it perfect after some test runs.... The first time was WAY too high, the second was still too high and the 3rd was perfect!! LOL 3rd times the charm I guess..
I'm not sure what height the ECE standard is, but on a blank wall at 25' away my cutoff is at 23.5".
Old 08-02-2008 | 11:12 AM
Richard T

That is exactly what I mean.

Is the adjustment you refer to adjust only the dipped beams or does it raise the whole light unit. On main beam the lights do a pretty good job at iluminating tree tops and everything into the next county. The problem is you turn the main beam off and light goes to nearly nothing.

FridaT
Old 08-02-2008 | 11:14 AM
Richard T

Originally Posted by Watkins
Using the search:

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-in...djustment.html

I'm not sure what height the ECE standard is, but on a blank wall at 25' away my cutoff is at 23.5".
Have you adjusted yours or were they like that from standard. The other thing with the Mercedes is that the light is more diffused at the extremity rather than being night and day.

FridaT
Old 08-02-2008 | 11:17 AM
Watkins

When you say the main beam are you talking about the normal lighting, and is the dipped the "brights"? Or the other way around, lol, sorry I am a little confused.

The Z at least here in the States is a single beam bi-xenon that contains both the "regular" beam and the "high" beam, when you do the beam adjustment like I posted above with the Phillips head screwdriver you are controlling the cut-off height of both beams, they can't be controlled individually, but you can significantly raise the height of the light.
Old 08-02-2008 | 11:19 AM
Watkins

Originally Posted by Richard T
Have you adjusted yours or were they like that from standard. The other thing with the Mercedes is that the light is more diffused at the extremity rather than being night and day.

FridaT

Mine are adjusted, I've owned three Nissan HID equipped vehicles and from my experience from the factory they are all set low. The cutoff of the beam from the factory falls well below the DOT standard so I have always had to raise them up, which helps dramatically.

Let me see if I can find something about the ECE specs and the height requirements.
Old 08-02-2008 | 11:23 AM
Watkins

Lots of information on these pages below.

http://faqlight.carpassion.info/

http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hl-aiming.htm
Old 08-02-2008 | 11:27 AM
Richard T

Originally Posted by Watkins
When you say the main beam are you talking about the normal lighting, and is the dipped the "brights"? Or the other way around, lol, sorry I am a little confused.

The Z at least here in the States is a single beam bi-xenon that contains both the "regular" beam and the "high" beam, when you do the beam adjustment like I posted above with the Phillips head screwdriver you are controlling the cut-off height of both beams, they can't be controlled individually, but you can significantly raise the height of the light.
The UK Z is also a single beam bi-xenon. Main beam is full head lights (brights), dipped is when you drop the lights for oncoming traffic. So the adjustment affects both of them then.

We will have a measure with the figures from your post to confirm and no doubt will take it back to the dealer for correction.

Thanks for your help and will let you know the outcome.

FridaT
Old 08-02-2008 | 11:31 AM
Watkins

Ah gotcha, good luck with it I know for a fact here at least Nissan sets their HID headlight beam low from the factory so yours is probably in the same boat too.
Old 08-02-2008 | 02:28 PM
Richard T

Watkins, great success

Hubby and I have been out and had a play and after a couple of goes we can now see perfectly in the dark. Thank you again for all your help.

FridaT

Old 08-02-2008 | 03:45 PM
Watkins

Excellent!