Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Wheel and Hub Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 07:42 PM
chopperman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket Wheel and Hub Thoughts

What do you all think about aftermarket steering wheels and quick releases? Just from reading around I heard they are alot more comfortable then stock. The only thing I do not like about it is that it will get ride of my cruise control. I dont know if anyone has done it before but can you relocate the controls some where else? Is it considered rice having a removal wheel, personaly I like the fact that you can take it off and be assured that no one can break in and drive away.

Pros-
Comfortable
Removable to prevent theft

Cons-
Considered rice?
Loss of wheel controls

Discuss
Old 11-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Who cares what anyone else thinks?

It's your car, it's your money. Pay your taxes and you won't have to give two $hits about what anyone else thinks. If you want it for looks, then get it. If you want it because you need it for its functionality then get it. If you don't want it then don't get it.

I find it to be more comfortable than stock and I like the smaller size. I did not purchase it to deter thieves though (they will take whatever car they really want).

and Cruise Control can be relocated if you really miss it, which I don't...
https://my350z.com/forum/body-interi...e-control.html
Old 11-16-2008, 04:16 AM
chill47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didn't miss my cruise control because i never used it............i bought a momo steering wheel and quick release from z1auto^^^^ and i like it.....
Old 11-16-2008, 10:20 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

one distinct advantage the good aftermarket wheels have is the leather is far more durable than the stock wheel. The slightly smaller sizes and thicker rim design is a bit more comfortable for most people as well

Can you relocate the controls? Absolutely - with enough time and a factory service manual, you could easily trace the appropriate wires and put them anywhere you want

Rice? Sorry, not following this thought at all. Putting a turbo badge on an NA car is rice. Putting fake vents on your fenders from pepboys is rice. Telling people your replica part is genuine is rice. Undercar neons are rice. Having a front mount intercooler with no piping (or no turbo/sc) is ricey. Using a quality part on a car, no matter what you use that car for, is never ricey.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Acidhex

That, is rice.

People's taste differ. If you want a detachable wheel, get one. I've always liked the idea of one, and would say it's more "tunerkid"-esque than "rice".

You should never make a purchase based off of someone else's opinion, but merely take from their opinion what you need to, in order to make the decision. Unless it's mine, in which case you should always listen
Old 11-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love mine.

Much more comfortable than stock, and it's a hell of a security feature to be able to take the wheel outta the car. Helps a lot when you gotta get in behind the dash for wiring or whatever too.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:05 PM
SoldzMyZ

I would miss the airbag if I were in your situation.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:31 PM
chopperman

Originally Posted by booey1979
I would miss the airbag if I were in your situation.
thats another reason why I am still on the fence.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Archaismic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well I installed 5 point harnesses and desided to drop the SRS system (all of it) for weight and installed a new steering wheel and quick release hub... people look at me funny when i'm walking around with it... i tell people i found it in the parking lot and though it was neat... anyway... i'm trying to figure what's going to happen if I remove the wire spindle built into the whole switchie steering column switch cluster... also... has anyone had a problem with their VDC and slip lights coming on after disconnecting the cruise control stuff?... or did I just mes something up... the lights only come on after i start rolling forward and i can't toggle the switch to turn them back off... i can still turn VDC on and off before i start rolling though... it's odd... also anyone know of a solution short of cutting and welding to shorten the hub adapter - quick release hub - wheel combo so you can still reach the turn signal with your fingers?... i have a momo hub adapter and an offbrand quick release ad a momo gotham steering wheel... im pretty technicaly competent but i was wondering if anyone else had run into this before i start going through the service manual diagnostics stuff...
Old 11-20-2008, 11:10 PM
moforeynolds

There are aftermarket Cruise Control kits, so I cannot imagine it would be difficult to relocate an existing setup.

But I would personally NEVER install an aftermarket non-airbag steering wheel on a car that has an OEM airbag--at least not for a street car. Understand that your insurance company gives you a rate based on that very item being present in your car. Purposely removing a major safety item such as an airbag will create some extremely serious issues in the event of an accident, nevermind that the removal of such safety equipment is against federal law (particularly important if you live in an area that does safety inspections). I know we all do **** to our cars that bend or break the rules, but this is a little more important than a decibel level or some dirty exhaust.

If you get in an accident and have serious injury indicitive of someone that was not protected from an airbag, your insurance company is going to be asking questions. First would be why it didn't deploy, in which case they would bring lawsuit to the car manufacturer to cover your medical bills. When they realize that you purposely removed the airbag, they are fully within their right to revoke their responsibility to pay your medical bills and will likely drop you from their services completely. So while you are in the hospital with serious injury that could have been prevented by leaving your airbag intact, you also are now going to have to find a way to pay for all that medical care out-of-pocket.

Simply put though, I am not going to preach and tell someone to do or not to do anything...if people here want to remove them (and there are quite a few) then that's their business. But I WILL throw out the ramifications of making those decisions. <!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Old 12-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Archaismic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^
well... this might be a flame but whatever you earned it
airbags don't do **** compared to a (good) roll cage and a 5-point harness accept punch you in the face when you're already having a bad day
I'm Navy so i have free medical anyway... for me going to the hospital is a good deal (woot day off... unless i die then my wife might be mad at me but meh)
And yes I understand it's illegal, along with pretty much ANYTHING anyone does to their car IN THIS STATE so I don't really care. And no it's NOT a federal law to have them in your car... you just can't produce a car or import a car in US without meeting all the safety equipment standards and such. That's why you can import R34's and such but you have to upgrade the safety crap... and then you take it all back out and sell it to the next guy in japan who wants to bring his car home.
Also, it's not like my insurance is going to pay out if I wreck going like 150mph anyway.