Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto shifter choices?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 06:20 AM
Beachtyme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto shifter choices?

I did do a search, but seems like most if not all of the info is for the manual shifter/**** replacement.

New head unit is in the lady's Z and I'd like to know what options I have for the auto shifter. The head unit has a 7" screen that flips down to access/change the CD/DVD.

As it stands now it's not clearing by only an inch or less, but it'd be nice to have a shorter auto shifter stick.

Any ideas or info from the gallery?

TIA.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:42 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hate to say, but there are not many choices at all for the auto shift ****. you could get a momo one but that is just about it. that one may or may not clear what yoau re describing for the screen clearance. only solution i can see is to only change out the cd when the car is shifted to drive.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Beachtyme

Originally Posted by Z04
hate to say, but there are not many choices at all for the auto shift ****. you could get a momo one but that is just about it. that one may or may not clear what yoau re describing for the screen clearance. only solution i can see is to only change out the cd when the car is shifted to drive.
Yeah, that's the only option other than something that's shorter and it only needs to be a little bit shorter for the flip down screen to clear.

I'll check out the Momo, I have a Momo in my IS 300.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:07 PM
redline_tanker

Originally Posted by Z04
hey i've been reading around on the site for a few months after i got my Z but this is my first post so hi everyone! As for the OP's question, james840a did a write up about how to change out for a momo. as i recall someone in that thread made his shifter sit much lower by removing or altering the plunger that goes in the shifter? might want to check that out. hope that helps!
Old 01-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Beachtyme

Originally Posted by redline_tanker
hey i've been reading around on the site for a few months after i got my Z but this is my first post so hi everyone! As for the OP's question, james840a did a write up about how to change out for a momo. as i recall someone in that thread made his shifter sit much lower by removing or altering the plunger that goes in the shifter? might want to check that out. hope that helps!
Thanks for the info, that may be a workable solution.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:40 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually, i pretty much ignore my shifter now except for reverse and putting the car into drive/manual shift. that is because i installed the works bell paddle shifters and use that 99% of the time.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:27 AM
Beachtyme

Originally Posted by Z04
actually, i pretty much ignore my shifter now except for reverse and putting the car into drive/manual shift. that is because i installed the works bell paddle shifters and use that 99% of the time.
Understood, but the issue here is clearance for when the Avic head unit is opening.

Looks like the momo will work, I'll know next week...
Old 01-22-2009, 07:51 AM
PythonLaX

RAZO also makes some. I have the RAZO RA93 and it works great.

http://www.carbeyondstore.com/auto-p...ic-Shift-****/
Old 01-22-2009, 10:12 AM
kelsey_kaye

Only thing I've ever seen was MOMO. There is also a write-up in the DIY section on how to change out an auto shifter. In the write-up it is stated that with an aftermarket shifter you can actually take out some piece to make it sit an half or inch and a half shorter. That should help your problem.