Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Vinyl Pattern Wrap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 05:59 PM
na_350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole
^^ that looks fantastic. I still think i would **** something up lol. Ive never done anything like this before. That would be so much easier to clean then stock as well. I wanna do my entire center console and the door switch covers.
lol I feel the same way... that's why I'm a little hesitant on doing it. There's only one way of learning though.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:07 PM
somebody

it really is eaier than you think....06 models are slightly more difficult than the 03~05 models but, you will be able to do it no problem. just don't do it when it's raining (humid).
Old 03-29-2009, 06:30 PM
CarbonZ08

I just got mine done today. I really like it. The material is very easy to work with. Thanks Somebody for the material and ktnupe8 for your advice.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Get_Zwole

Originally Posted by CarbonZ08
I just got mine done today. I really like it. The material is very easy to work with. Thanks Somebody for the material and ktnupe8 for your advice.
did you do the install yourself? we lub teh pics you know .
Old 03-29-2009, 07:35 PM
drewk

I started on mine as well. I highly recommend getting some Elmers household cement, its a clear drying glue. It helps when your trying to get the fabric to stick from the back...

Another thing, Does anyone know how to reassemble the cubby door? There are these two metal coil springs that I have no clue which direction they are supposed to go in. I believe they are what cause the door to go up. I have an 05 Z...
Old 03-29-2009, 08:44 PM
gastoneii

^^^^trust me it was a B***H to get back together, no way to explain it i spent over an hour trying to get that cubby back together, finally i got it. only thing i can say is the short end of the spring has to loop back around and hook on the little catch on the door. sorry.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:14 AM
Get_Zwole

^^ everybody thats taken the cubby off that ive talked to said the same exact thing lol. Pain in the *** for sure.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:45 AM
*ICE*

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is my review of 1 week use.

The top part of the dash is peeling off, the part above the 3 gauges, where it meets the windshield air vent. Not sure why the 3M 77 adhesive didnt do the job well. I think its from the heat directly from the sun that cause the glue to melt and not stick properly.

I'll post some pics later on.

Also, My HVAC piece, around the curve edges are not sticking anymore. They wrinkled up really good. For 06+ HVAC, IT IS THE HARDEST PIECE TO WRAP. I'm planning on remove the CF fabric completely from that part and leave it as it.

I'll post some pics of that later on too.

The cubby door is EXTREMELY HARD to open for 06+. I have to push up on the locking piece, then PUSH the top part of the door inward so the door can be open manually. I think the fabric is too thick and leave the cubby door little to no space for it to operate. Not sure what the fix should be... anyone got any ideas?
Old 03-30-2009, 07:41 AM
drewk

Originally Posted by gastoneii
^^^^trust me it was a B***H to get back together, no way to explain it i spent over an hour trying to get that cubby back together, finally i got it. only thing i can say is the short end of the spring has to loop back around and hook on the little catch on the door. sorry.
I know what you mean... but I just dont know how the **** Im going to do it...
Old 03-30-2009, 08:13 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the '04 cubby, you don't have to completely take it apart. I just loosen up the screws on the trim so I could tuck the material in. The top part doesn't have to be clean because no one sees it when it's open and recessed up there.

I'm going have to find a stronger adhesive and go back in there for the gauges though. When it gets too hot it loosens up but it's an easy fix. I've seen a stronger adhesive out there. It was a step above the 3m super 77, but I forgot the name.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:22 AM
drewk

Originally Posted by gastoneii
I tried but I cant seem to do it... did you use any tools or anything? That thing is def. a PITA.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:30 AM
gastoneii

Originally Posted by drewk
I tried but I cant seem to do it... did you use any tools or anything? That thing is def. a PITA.
I had to use needle nose pliers (only tool available at the time) and about 2 packs of cigarettes lol.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Soni

Originally Posted by *ICE*
here is my review of 1 week use.

The top part of the dash is peeling off, the part above the 3 gauges, where it meets the windshield air vent. Not sure why the 3M 77 adhesive didnt do the job well. I think its from the heat directly from the sun that cause the glue to melt and not stick properly.
Thats odd!! I have my on for over a year...and parked under the sun whole last summer, no bubbling, no fading!! How many layers of 3M did you spray? When I did my, I sprayed 3 layers. Many members from the BMW forum also got no issue either. Maybe you picked up and expired 3M adhesive or defective can?? Sorry to hear that!!
Old 03-30-2009, 01:12 PM
nismored

Yikes. I hear the 3M adhesive is touchy.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Sponge

Thumbs up

But Soni...you live in Canada! :P

I've had a similar issue with the Ca sun making the glue loosen up. I was able to fix most spots by spraying two layers of Super 77, applying the fabric, then using a smooth round plastic cap to press the fabric into the glue. This has worked well for the shifter piece. First time I wrapped it sucked, fabric started to lift after several hours in the sun. Second application of fabric and two layers of glue shows only one little spot lifting. I applied a hair dryer and pressed/rolled it some more. We'll see how well the glue stands up to the blistering heat of SoCal.

As far as ruining anything, trust me, this is almost foolproof. I wasn't happy with my first attempt on the main piece and took off the fabric. I waited for the glue to dry then literally "rubbed" the glue off with my fingers. I got blisters, not a hairy palm hehe, but the dash was completely returned to normal, no stains, marks, nothing. I was pleasantly surprised. For those who want to jump in and do this, feel comfortable that the glue will do no damage to your dash. Can't speak for other glues, but the 3M Super 77 adhesive causes no damage to the dash at all.

Good luck and just take your time. Using a hair dryer to heat the glue and a roller to press the fabric into the glue yields the best results so far. Only exposure to the heat will tell how durable the glue is.

Last edited by Sponge; 03-30-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:33 PM
gastoneii

I'm glad to hear that the glue doesn't pose any type of damage to the original plastic!!! My first attempt was just like *ICE* stated, started rubbing off in the cal sun. I'll probably return it to stock and try again one of these days!!!
Old 03-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Soni

Originally Posted by Sponge
But Soni...you live in Canada! :P

I've had a similar issue with the Ca sun making the glue loosen up. I was able to fix most spots by spraying two layers of Super 77, applying the fabric, then using a smooth round plastic cap to press the fabric into the glue. This has worked well for the shifter piece. First time I wrapped it sucked, fabric started to lift after several hours in the sun. Second application of fabric and two layers of glue shows only one little spot lifting. I applied a hair dryer and pressed/rolled it some more. We'll see how well the glue stands up to the blistering heat of SoCal.

As far as ruining anything, trust me, this is almost foolproof. I wasn't happy with my first attempt on the main piece and took off the fabric. I waited for the glue to dry then literally "rubbed" the glue off with my fingers. I got blisters, not a hairy palm hehe, but the dash was completely returned to normal, no stains, marks, nothing. I was pleasantly surprised. For those who want to jump in and do this, feel comfortable that the glue will do no damage to your dash. Can't speak for other glues, but the 3M Super 77 adhesive causes no damage to the dash at all.

Good luck and just take your time. Using a hair dryer to heat the glue and a roller to press the fabric into the glue yields the best results so far. Only exposure to the heat will tell how durable the glue is.
maybe you should give 3M 90 a try...It should stand up for high temps.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:26 PM
nismored

I was checking out the thread on E90 and the guy sanded all his parts down before applying the glue and wrap. I think that is a novel idea that will help the material to adhere.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:31 PM
somebody

also, preping before the glue application is very important. make sure you clean the parts with alcohol....get rid of any oil & dirt......I'm very satisfied with mine....
big thanks to soni.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:21 PM
gastoneii

has anybody "wrapped" any other part of their interior besides the front fascia and center console? if so please post pics, thanks!

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Vinyl Pattern Wrap Thread