Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Vinyl Pattern Wrap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 06:14 PM
ITOzann

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished with my console.. LOVE IT..!!

I'll work tonight and tomorrow on more parts and see post pics of the items installed
Old 07-19-2009, 01:11 AM
red_magic2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems everyone is using 3M Super 77 or Super 90 for the fabric. The one problem I've seen is that some members have complained that the heat from being parked in the sun has caused the fabric to peel, seems the glue isn't holding up to the heat. I want to do this to my 08 Z but the temps here in south texas normally reach 103+ everyday. I was looking for alternative adhesives and found the 3M super 80 which is labeled for high heat, but I also found this product http://www.perfectfit.com/24783/4453...-Adhesive.html Does anyone have any opinions on this product. Anyone have a spare interior part and a piece of fabric they are willing to donate to see how well this product works? I'm willing to buy and try it on a donor part to see how well it applys and holds up to heat.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:45 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by krono
UPDATE:

i tried yourautotrim.com and the gentlemen was kind enough to call me to verify the order and informed me that this material was much thicker than what you guys have been using to wrap the interior with.

I have so say that I'm in shock and happy to say that we live in a world that still has a handful of good people, anyone else would have just shipped it to me and not gave a crap if it was what i needed or not. On a side note he says he is working super diligently to find the source of the other fabric so he can start selling it. i'm still in aw about how cool the guy was that i spoke to.

back to the situation at hand . . . .

I WANT SOME OF THIS F'ING FABRIC !! !! ! someone PM me something about where i can find some of this. im looking to buy 10 yards+ if its the right kind.
What you plan on doing with 10 yards...
Old 07-19-2009, 02:08 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Originally Posted by red_magic2000
Seems everyone is using 3M Super 77 or Super 90 for the fabric. The one problem I've seen is that some members have complained that the heat from being parked in the sun has caused the fabric to peel, seems the glue isn't holding up to the heat. I want to do this to my 08 Z but the temps here in south texas normally reach 103+ everyday. I was looking for alternative adhesives and found the 3M super 80 which is labeled for high heat, but I also found this product http://www.perfectfit.com/24783/4453...-Adhesive.html Does anyone have any opinions on this product. Anyone have a spare interior part and a piece of fabric they are willing to donate to see how well this product works? I'm willing to buy and try it on a donor part to see how well it applys and holds up to heat.
I suggest this
http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/350z07e/50-2095

seriously if you wrap any piece tight enough, but don't stretch it too much yields a better look plus it is less likely to lift...
Old 07-19-2009, 05:39 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by red_magic2000
I had that problem with Super 77.

I later pulled up what I could, sprayed some Super90 down, spread it out with a q-tip with the cotton pulled off, and stretched the fabric back over. The material doesn't lift even after being in direct sunlight for hours.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:58 PM
stalephish

this dude give me a great deal... 33 a yard f/s. check him out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Old 07-20-2009, 05:00 AM
Soni

Originally Posted by stalephish
this dude give me a great deal... 33 a yard f/s. check him out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
not a bad price....fyi, in some forum, a vendor must pay vendor fees in order to advertise their products, so if they sell few bugs more than ebay, it is normal, support the vendor so they can bring more good stuffs...

Last edited by Soni; 07-20-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:17 AM
spinviper

Originally Posted by Soni
not a bad price....fyi, in some forum, a vendor must pay vendor fees in order to advertise their products, so if they sell few bugs more than ebay, it is normal, support the vendor so they can bring more good stuffs...
Is that the same material that you use Soni ?
Old 07-20-2009, 11:24 AM
AnthonyNHiS350

Looks good. Nice Work
Old 07-20-2009, 11:32 AM
krono

Originally Posted by KingBaby
What you plan on doing with 10 yards...
i am working on the audio system of my car, im doing a custom sub box and amp rack that takes up the whole trunk area of the car, so when i saw this nice and very easy to work with material i decided to do the whole car, i plan on using both the silver and the black more or less how the car goes now, leaving the nice pieces of the car still showing like the leather etc. i just cant stand the cheap plastic looking panels of the car. its definetely one of the less desireable parts of the Z (the whole interior basically)
Old 07-20-2009, 11:34 AM
krono

Originally Posted by Soni
ebay and paypal take a huge cut though also, more than the forum im willing to bet, someone told me this material isnt worth more than 11-14$/yard(reliable source)

but at the same token this stuff is flying off the shelfs the same day its delivered so i understand the mark up and i dont blame them and im willing to pay the asking price of 35/yard or in my case its 32/yard since im buying 5+ yards
Old 07-20-2009, 11:56 PM
red_magic2000

Originally Posted by KingBaby
I suggest this
http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/350z07e/50-2095

seriously if you wrap any piece tight enough, but don't stretch it too much yields a better look plus it is less likely to lift...
WoW, if that thing actually worked..Even with the sunvisor the interior of the car gets hot. I mean we just had 106 today..So for us members in hot areas I don't think the sunvisor would help with the peeling.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:59 PM
red_magic2000

Originally Posted by Spork
I had that problem with Super 77.

I later pulled up what I could, sprayed some Super90 down, spread it out with a q-tip with the cotton pulled off, and stretched the fabric back over. The material doesn't lift even after being in direct sunlight for hours.
That seems like something I was thinking of also. Instead I was thinking of spreading a little bit of expoxy glue over the edge of the material and then overlapping the epoxy onto the plastic As soon as I decide to wrap I'm going to try this.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:22 AM
spinviper

Guys where can I buy 3M super 77 ?

I went to Autozone and Pep boys, none of them have one. They have only " 3M general trim adhesive ". Is it work ?, would you mind tell me where can I get one.
I know E bay has it, but I dont want to pay shipping cost.

Thank you
Old 07-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

time spent looking + gas used driving + tax > a minor shipping charge. seriously?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Sponge

Originally Posted by spinviper

I went to Autozone and Pep boys, none of them have one. They have only " 3M general trim adhesive ". Is it work ?, would you mind tell me where can I get one.

Thank you
Try your local Michael's Art store. I think I saw it at Target. If all else fails order off ebay.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:31 PM
spinviper

I will try Michael's Art store, I found one that close to where I live.
Target website said " This item is available online, but is not available in stores. "

Yeah you right, gas + everything are expensive but dont you guys enjoy driving your Z ? hahaha
Old 07-23-2009, 01:09 PM
krono

I will try Michael's Art store, I found one that close to where I live.
Target website said " This item is available online, but is not available in stores. "

Yeah you right, gas + everything are expensive but dont you guys enjoy driving your Z ? hahaha
you know there are websites for major stores like the above mentioned "target" etc that you can search and even check if they have it available in the store. . . you get the best of both worlds, not having to drive aimlessly and you dont pay shipping either. . . research is your friend my friend
Old 07-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Evilmexicaninus

Thank you
I went to my local Home Depot and they had a whole isle of 3M adhesives
Old 07-23-2009, 01:22 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Originally Posted by krono
i am working on the audio system of my car, im doing a custom sub box and amp rack that takes up the whole trunk area of the car, so when i saw this nice and very easy to work with material i decided to do the whole car, i plan on using both the silver and the black more or less how the car goes now, leaving the nice pieces of the car still showing like the leather etc. i just cant stand the cheap plastic looking panels of the car. its definetely one of the less desireable parts of the Z (the whole interior basically)
nice now that you explained all that...posting picture when done should be easy...

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Vinyl Pattern Wrap Thread