Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Vinyl Pattern Wrap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 02:54 PM
ambushphoto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ideally you would want to use a sheet of dinoc big enough to cover the entire part. It looks like you have a seam half way through just below your climate control *****. Over time that will curl up from being exposed to the sun and stuff.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:57 PM
SatinBlack

Originally Posted by ambushphoto
Ideally you would want to use a sheet of dinoc big enough to cover the entire part. It looks like you have a seam half way through just below your climate control *****. Over time that will curl up from being exposed to the sun and stuff.
Thanks a lot, finally a decent comment on my experiments
Also this thread merging **** is crazy...
Old 12-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Fluid1

damnit.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:10 PM
DViper0020

Anyone have a good site where I can order some of this cf vinyl? I've read through a few of these threads about cf wrapping the interior and I've come to the conclusion that I want to do this to my car! Lol.

I've never "wrapped" anything before, but I'm pretty confident that I can do it. I was wondering if you guys could tell me how much I should get? I would like to do the center of the dash like I've seen on most of the interior wraps, but I'd also like to do my door switch area, possibly the black area on the door in between the handle and vent, and I was thinking maybe some pieces to the center console, but I'm not 100% sure about it.

I'd appreciate any advice and I'll give a thanks in advance.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DViper0020
Anyone have a good site where I can order some of this cf vinyl? I've read through a few of these threads about cf wrapping the interior and I've come to the conclusion that I want to do this to my car! Lol.

I've never "wrapped" anything before, but I'm pretty confident that I can do it. I was wondering if you guys could tell me how much I should get? I would like to do the center of the dash like I've seen on most of the interior wraps, but I'd also like to do my door switch area, possibly the black area on the door in between the handle and vent, and I was thinking maybe some pieces to the center console, but I'm not 100% sure about it.

I'd appreciate any advice and I'll give a thanks in advance.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220892358821...84.m1438.l2649
Old 12-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by TPete19
There's tons of info about in here, just spend some time searching, or PM me and I can give you advice. I've done a few of the center consoles now and can point out many of the potential trouble spots.

You will definitely want to use primer 94 on it.

Here are some pics of mine. As you'll see in the second pic, the corners have a tendency to want to retract back to their original shape. I obviously didn't get that little spot primed correctly.

Wow man, that's probably the best looking z33 center console i've ever seen! props. Usually that cf wrap looks like sh*t imho. Not a fan of the shifter, but the alcantra style door wrap is a very very nice touch.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:03 PM
KushZEN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not recommend the 3M Dinoc. As most have stated, dinoc is very hard to work with and very permanent. Most of us use the 3M Scotchprint, I bought my roll from metrorestyling.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:15 AM
DViper0020

Originally Posted by KushZEN
I would not recommend the 3M Dinoc. As most have stated, dinoc is very hard to work with and very permanent. Most of us use the 3M Scotchprint, I bought my roll from metrorestyling.
I seen that the dinoc is avoided, so I was leaning toward the scotchprint. You think 60"x24" is going to be a good amount for doing my interior?
Old 12-29-2011, 12:11 PM
MeinVinyl

I've used the DiNoc for numerous applications and haven't had many issues. The first headlight shrouds that I did had some bubbles, but it was a test anyways and have been much closer to flawless since then. DiNoc is not very hard to work with if you have the right materials, imo.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Ak48z

It is definitely not permanent... and it was pretty easy to work with.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:28 PM
KushZEN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ak48z
It is definitely not permanent... and it was pretty easy to work with.
From what I have seen, It is very permanent. A friend of mine did his interior on his BMW with dinoc, and after taking it off, it has ruined the finish of his interior pieces. After reading around, we found out that he wasn't the only one with this problem.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Threads merged......again
Old 12-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Ak48z

From what I have seen, It is very permanent. A friend of mine did his interior on his BMW with dinoc, and after taking it off, it has ruined the finish of his interior pieces. After reading around, we found out that he wasn't the only one with this problem.
May be unfortunate for BMW plastic, but I have wrapped pieces and months later ripped it off, looked just like it did before the wrap. So from first hand experience, it is not permanent by itself.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:02 PM
TPete19

Depends on the substrate. I prefer the Scotchprint and have covered a number of pieces for different people. Pulls off without issue. I've only dealt with Dinoc for one small piece (maybe 15 square inches) and it seemed to do alright too. Dinoc is definitely thicker and I don't like the texture as much.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:20 AM
MeinVinyl

I have removed the DiNoc from a front grill, rear spoiler, front lip, engine cover and even a roof. Didn't have any problems with the plastic parts but we did have to buff out the roof of the car. That's about it. Cleaning up a little residue left behind should be expected from any QUALITY vinyl. My experience with competitor's "carbon like" vinyl is the vinyl either ripped, split layers (color layer and adhesive layer) or had to be sand blasted to be removed.

That's my personal experience with the stuff.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Atl_Adam

Ok...I'm done. I've been trying to wrap a few interior pieces and I cant get the edges to stick. I've taken them off and tried and tried all weekend, I just cant get it to look good. I would be willing to send my materials and interior pieces to someone if they would be willing to help a fellow Z owner out.

I'm located in Atlanta.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Ak48z

Originally Posted by Atl_Adam
Ok...I'm done. I've been trying to wrap a few interior pieces and I cant get the edges to stick. I've taken them off and tried and tried all weekend, I just cant get it to look good. I would be willing to send my materials and interior pieces to someone if they would be willing to help a fellow Z owner out.

I'm located in Atlanta.
Are you using the Primer 94 at all? I have done it both with and without, I never really had an issue getting the material to stick to the edges. Just heat/stretch over the edges then trim it up.

Without the primer 94 though and a had a few edges start to bubble/come up after a couple of months in the summer.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Atl_Adam

I did not use primer of any sort as I heard mixed reviews of installing it both ways. I may just run the parts by a vinyl sign/sticker shop somewhere in Atlanta if I cant find anyone to help out.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:45 AM
MeinVinyl

If you don't know the shop they're going to charge out the A$$ (personal experience) for something you should be able to do quite easily. Be patient, order the Primer and be sure to apply in a warm room. Use a heat gun to make things work even better. This is a very easy thing to do.

I would say that I'd do it for you, but shipping isn't usually too cheap, depending what you're doing/covering.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:23 PM
TPete19

Adam,
Just grab a small can of Primer 94 and a couple cheap brushes. Brush a fine layer on the edges, then let it tack and you'll be good to go.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Vinyl Pattern Wrap Thread