Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3M Clear Bra- Need Feedback- Z's chip easy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 08:50 AM
SkyBox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3M Clear Bra- Need Feedback- Z's chip easy?

I am considering getting the 3M Clear Bra either on the bumper only or bumper, entire hood, and mirrors of my PPW. I live in Ohio and there are lots of rocks on the road because of constant road reconstruction. I do not drive much on the highway though...

Since I have not really been able to see this 3M material "in person", I am wondering how the finish looks. Does it just look like clear coat? Does it shine like the rest of the car. The only certified installer around is in another city.

If it looks like $hit or less than great - I do not want it on my brand new car. A re-paint of the hood and bumper is probably the same price.

Is it worth it? Opinions/experieces/prices paid...
Old 04-07-2009, 09:08 AM
rock350z

I got the full kit, hood, fenders, mirrors, ets, over 2 years ago, not a scratch, well worth the money.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:36 AM
SkyBox

Originally Posted by rock350z
I got the full kit, hood, fenders, mirrors, ets, over 2 years ago, not a scratch, well worth the money.
How much did you pay for the whole kit - if you don't mind me asking? Finish look good?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:50 AM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had to do it all over again, I wish I would have gotten a 3m clear bra.

Right now at 21,000 miles my front bumper is a monstrosity. It really is ruined, it looks dull and scraped..
Old 04-07-2009, 11:27 AM
kelleyj3

I am kicking myself for not doing it too. Up and down I15 everyday has blasted my front end. Gotta figure something out before it gets even worse.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:32 AM
gastoneii

Originally Posted by rock350z
Same here had it since last summer, couldn't ask for a better investment!! paid $500 for everything and I got a SB so a little noticable around the edges but as a daily driver couldn't be any happier!! especially for the cheap *** paint from nissan, just wash it and wax it like it was part of the paint!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:39 AM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have it on my car, after about 6 years it still looks pretty good, and its not peeling anywhere
Old 04-07-2009, 12:01 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Never heard of it. Is this something new?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:22 PM
SkyBox

Originally Posted by davidv
Never heard of it. Is this something new?
I think it has been around a few years...
Old 04-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Done Deal DR

He was joking...
Old 04-07-2009, 01:29 PM
SkyBox

Originally Posted by Done Deal DR
He was joking...
Oh - Dave is a smart guy
Old 04-07-2009, 01:58 PM
gerryg2153

Red face

Get it
I did, and over the weekend make a little mistake backing up ( forgot that the front swings out when you crank the wheel) on a narrow driveway with a cedar fence. . . granted I wasnt moving very fast but the noise of the car agains the fence is what got my attention - the results scuffed up the clear and ripped a few holes - one little blem in the paint that the detail guy can fix when he installs the new clear -

So $325 to replace the lower front clear v. $1500+ to repaint the front end

I'm sold
Old 04-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Get_Zwole

Originally Posted by gerryg2153
Get it
I did, and over the weekend make a little mistake backing up ( forgot that the front swings out when you crank the wheel) on a narrow driveway with a cedar fence. . . granted I wasnt moving very fast but the noise of the car agains the fence is what got my attention - the results scuffed up the clear and ripped a few holes - one little blem in the paint that the detail guy can fix when he installs the new clear -

So $325 to replace the lower front clear v. $1500+ to repaint the front end

I'm sold
learners permit or what
Old 04-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Kempo98

I also have the full front and mirror application. Its a good product. If an object penatrates the clear bra it leaves a raised dimple in the plastic; only have a small one to date. Product is easy to clean, wash and wax like paint. Make sure you get a good installer, took my guy two tries to get it perfect. Worth the money and a better alternative to chipped paint.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:38 PM
gldgremlin

I have had my clear bra for almost 3 years. I just went with the front bumper and headlights which came with a 5 yr warranty. Best thing for the factory front end. The clear bra is almost invisiable and I believe it is harder to see on lighter colors [I have a DB].
Old 04-07-2009, 09:05 PM
gerryg2153

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole
learners permit or what
Sorry no learners permit here. . . .

Your time will come. . . . if it hasn't yet, it will . . . .
just dont cry like a little girl
Old 04-07-2009, 09:29 PM
drewk

Where can you get some clear bra for a good price?
Old 04-07-2009, 09:34 PM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Clear bra is an awesome value. Mine looks perfect and you can't even tell it is there. I pushed my installer to be very aggressive with the edges. He put the edge of the film right up to and tucked into the curves of the car. You really can't tell even if you are looking for it in some areas. It works great and, in my opinion, is a must have for a Z/G.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Gibbs
Know it all

Just cover the entire car with it, I have atleast one chip on every panel of my car, except the hatch, and a ton on the front bumper and hood. And I could swear that yesterday when I was looking at my car some more paint just chipped off by itself!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Zian

Originally Posted by SkyBox
I am considering getting the 3M Clear Bra either on the bumper only or bumper, entire hood, and mirrors of my PPW. I live in Ohio and there are lots of rocks on the road because of constant road reconstruction. I do not drive much on the highway though...

Since I have not really been able to see this 3M material "in person", I am wondering how the finish looks. Does it just look like clear coat? Does it shine like the rest of the car. The only certified installer around is in another city.

If it looks like $hit or less than great - I do not want it on my brand new car. A re-paint of the hood and bumper is probably the same price.

Is it worth it? Opinions/experieces/prices paid...

GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT. I can't stress this enough. First of all the material is amazing- when applied properly it is close to invisible unless you are just feet from the car. Even at that range it still gleams and shines just like the car. Notice how the Z bumper is blunted off...as in has areas in the front bumper that are essentially vertical? The front of our cars (as you have probably noticed) are magnets for rock chips. I personally can't stand anything that mars the original look of the paint, (I would NEVER put on a black leather bra...even if they didn't have tons of problems with moisture getting stuck under them) and I have a clear bra and love it. This stuff is the standard on all of the high dollar exotics, and if you look closely, it is probably on most of the cars in your car magazines. It's show quality stuff, but there is a catch:

INSTALLATION MUST BE DONE RIGHT. Seriously. I had to go through a nightmare after the stealership that I originally bought my Z from mucked up clear bra work. Find someone reputable in your area and get it done right. If you do this you will have no regrets whatsoever, and you will certainly be glad you protected the car.

Quick Reply: 3M Clear Bra- Need Feedback- Z's chip easy?