Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wtf??? another paint chip?!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 07:58 AM
TJGILROY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wtf??? another paint chip?!!!!

I have a 2003 Brickyard Track and notice here recently when i wash my car the abundance of more and more paint chips on the car...they are the size of pinheads put are bright white and very noticable...anyone else having this problem on their dark colored Z???

any quick fix besides the touch up pens....i hate those, so tacky looking

i also hear the nissan paint is very weak because they use environmentally safe paint...is this true??? why would you sacrifice the quality of the paint for minute changes of how it helps the environment??? or are they just that cheap???
Old 05-29-2009, 08:09 AM
orangeflash

ohh man, you should see my sandblasted chipped to hell front bumper!!! you would probably puke.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:13 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Check out http://www.drcolorchip.com/

There was a good write-up about them in the previous Nissan Sport magazine.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:16 AM
TJGILROY

Originally Posted by orangeflash
ohh man, you should see my sandblasted chipped to hell front bumper!!! you would probably puke.
my bumper was like that when i got my Z and i had it repainted when i got it because i couldn't stand the site of it... but now it's just here and there spots

and it's not even were a chip should be...like the back fender side door and rear front fender...i thought it was white fuzz at first but they are actual chips...
Old 05-29-2009, 09:18 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Can you fix a paint chip (area with no paint) without using paint? Doubt it.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:31 AM
TJGILROY

that sux...any wax or polish recommended that will at least conceal the bright white prime chip???
Old 05-29-2009, 09:36 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get used to using touch-up paint. Nissan paint flakes like a bastard from road debris.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:41 AM
TJGILROY

you can't tell it though....i just think touch up pens do a tacky job and sticks out like a sore thumb when you're done with it...
Old 05-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I butchered the hell out of my hood using a pen to fix a few paint chips. it arguably looks worse now, but a couple of the chips had metal exposed.

I would have to get the entire hood resprayed to fix it now, not worth it. :/
Old 05-29-2009, 09:48 AM
TJGILROY

yeah....my hood looks like a freakin' terminator with the metal exposed near the front end...nissan definetely made a boo boo when choosing paint
Old 05-29-2009, 10:23 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by TJGILROY
I have a 2003 Brickyard Track and notice here recently when i wash my car the abundance of more and more paint chips on the car...they are the size of pinheads put are bright white and very noticable...anyone else having this problem on their dark colored Z???

any quick fix besides the touch up pens....i hate those, so tacky looking

i also hear the nissan paint is very weak because they use environmentally safe paint...is this true??? why would you sacrifice the quality of the paint for minute changes of how it helps the environment??? or are they just that cheap???
Actually, it isn't just a minute change to help the environment. All cars have used waterborne paints since 1992. The manufacturers had to change paint formulations to comply with the solvent release laws. Your car is 6 years old. It seems as though the paint must be holding up pretty well since you are just now complaining about the quality.

Automobile manufacturers have had to make many changes to comply with environmental laws. Another example is they can't use freon any longer in air conditioners. They must use R134A and it isn't nearly as good as the old R12 Freon. I'm thinking we are just going to have to get used to the environmental requirements.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Toby-22

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a brickyard and my hood/bumper looks like hell I also get rockchips on my rear hatch/bumper, roof, doors??? sucks
Old 05-29-2009, 10:44 AM
TJGILROY

i am complaining because i have been used to the bumper/front of hood getting chips but now all around the car is getting speckled...little pinhead white spots where the paint has been chipped by something...i know plenty of other 03 and older cars that don't have this problem...my little bro drives a prelude and his paint looks better than mine and i pamper my baby every chance i get...
Old 05-29-2009, 10:55 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

I stopped counting those looong ago! I just care for the engine, transmission, cooling system, tires, etc. Some people are SO inconsiderate!
Old 05-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

stop bitching like a little school girl. solution = get it resprayed by a good shop with PPG paint.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:22 AM
350SL

I live in Manhattan so naturally I am going to get bumped now and then. I recently bought the Nissan factory (Jet Black) touch-up paint and was thrilled with the results. I had a few pea sized chips exposing white in my rear bumper which are virtually unnoticeable now. $9 from ebay. The key is patience when applying, squire.

Last edited by 350SL; 05-29-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:00 PM
TJGILROY

been looking at some dr.colorchip and touchup123 reviews...any Z owners in here used this??? results, pics, opinions...from what i see, i could spend 50 bucks for the results i see from these products
Old 05-29-2009, 12:41 PM
sry110

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
Actually, it isn't just a minute change to help the environment. All cars have used waterborne paints since 1992. The manufacturers had to change paint formulations to comply with the solvent release laws. Your car is 6 years old. It seems as though the paint must be holding up pretty well since you are just now complaining about the quality.

Automobile manufacturers have had to make many changes to comply with environmental laws. Another example is they can't use freon any longer in air conditioners. They must use R134A and it isn't nearly as good as the old R12 Freon. I'm thinking we are just going to have to get used to the environmental requirements.
Sure, but my 2003 Mazda6 paint was bulletproof compared to my 2006 Z. It really comes down to Nissan's choice in paint materials and/or process, which I believe is inferior at least to Mazda.

OP I feel your pain, I have a few chips in weird places too. In a few years if I decide to keep the Z I think I'll put out the money to have it re-painted, have a clear bra installed on the front bumper, etc. etc.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:49 PM
TJGILROY

Originally Posted by sry110
Sure, but my 2003 Mazda6 paint was bulletproof compared to my 2006 Z. It really comes down to Nissan's choice in paint materials and/or process, which I believe is inferior at least to Mazda.

OP I feel your pain, I have a few chips in weird places too. In a few years if I decide to keep the Z I think I'll put out the money to have it re-painted, have a clear bra installed on the front bumper, etc. etc.
now we're talkin', i hate it when people try and tell you stuff and they haven't experienced it...i looked...i may try the dr colorchip...for 50 bucks i can't go wrong...if that doesn't work...i'll get ax8 touch up from nissan, and if i don't like that, i'll save up and get them repainted
Old 05-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nexx
stop bitching like a little school girl. solution = get it resprayed by a good shop with PPG paint.

The Z is a very low car compared to others on the road, rock chips are inevitable.

Try not to tailgate others and stay away from dirt haulers and large trucks.

Otherwise, just get it re-painted.

Quick Reply: wtf??? another paint chip?!!!!