My personal racing bucket review. Bride, Recaro, Sparco

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 01:16 PM
USED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My personal racing bucket review. Bride, Recaro, Sparco

This is not a personal ad

I'm 5'11", 175, and 33" waist.

My first post trying to figure out what seats fit me was a failure. 166 views and no replies. I was trying to get an opinion on the Cobra Suzuka S (not GT) seat before I take a roll of the dice. From the little bit of info I got from the interweb, it seems the Suzuka S seats are for people up to 34 waist. I can't find a shop in the entire bay area that has these in stock for trial.

My review so far:

Sparco
*Pro 2000 is an awesome seat. It fits me everywhere except the shoulder harness holes are too low. The only way I could use this would be to junk the lower seat cushion (I don't like this idea). Holding is great/deep and comfortable at the same time.
*EVO fits well, but shoulder harness holes are too low for my height. Lateral support feels pretty good.
*EVO2 is a bit too large for my frame, and the shoulder harness holes are still too low. Overall height seems lower than the EVO?
*From my experience of selling a few sparco seats over the years, they look really nice when new, but don't wear well (bucket seats).
*Read on MY350Z that the sparco hardware makes the seats sit high.
*Basic L shaped/flat bottom
*FIA homologated

Bride
*Zeta III type L fits snug at the hips, but truly is a "holding monster". Taller height lines up perfect with my shoulder and the harness holes are placed just right. The material seems very nice and durable. Instead of being shaped like an "L", it's more like a J. Where as the seat bottom actually protrudes lower than a flat bottomed seat. This prolly helps with a lower seating position.
*Pretty
*Not FIA homologated

Recaro
*Profi SPG fits a bit more snug than the Zeta III in the hips, but not as much depth or "holding. The cushion has more "give". Height is fine and shoulder harness holes line up well. The material seems plush, but not as durable "feeling" as the Bride, but nicer than the Sparco material. L shaped flat bottom.
*Pretty
*FIA homologated

*Profi XL is for big people. I could put a balled fist easily on the side of both hips while seated. Like the SPG, the XL is made of the same cushy material.
*L shaped/flat bottom
*FIA homologated

*Pole Position had a little wiggle room in the seat/hip area. The material was the same as the Profi stuff. It has a very awkward/bent over feeling in the shoulder area.
*L shaped/flat bottom
*FIA homologated

So far, I like the Zeta III L's the best, even though I'd like more hip room. I may return the Zeta III if I find a better fitting seat. It sucks that only the regular Zeta III is FIA homologated (I discoverd this after my purchase ).

I still want to try the Cobra Suzuka S before I buy my seats. If you know anyone in the bay area with these in stock, LMK. Please feel free to add or comment, just remember to include you body size info.

Last edited by USED; 06-23-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:50 PM
only350z

OMG. This is a good review. I was so confused on all the types of seats...
Old 06-23-2009, 02:57 PM
ev0k1ll3r

nice review! good info. Thanks
Old 06-23-2009, 06:04 PM
WXSigns
Vendor - Former Vendor

Generally, if the harness holes are too high or too low that can be worked out with the right height of the seat base.

Good review though.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:51 PM
USED

Originally Posted by WXSigns
Generally, if the harness holes are too high or too low that can be worked out with the right height of the seat base.

Good review though.
Please explain. Are you talking about the harness holes in relation to the anchor point? I'm talking about the harness holes in relation to my shoulders. The only way to adjust this is with a thinner bottom cushion, or no cushion. Sparco doesn't make different thickness bottom cushions, only different thickness thigh pads (the one under your legs). I think recaro makes thinner bottom cushions.

I make this point because the shoulder harness can become dangerous if the angle is too great. Most tech inspections require no greater than 15-20 degrees of increasing angle in relation to the anchor point. If it is greater than this, in an accident it can actually compress the spine. With the harness holes being so low on my shoulders, the harness actually rides on the upper edge of the hole. This will in fact cause compression rather than restraint.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:05 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

unless you're entering an FIA sanctioned race, having an FIA sanctioned seat is not going to do you much good
Old 06-24-2009, 07:07 AM
yusoslo

nice review, now try to find a racing seat for me.

6'1"
210lbs
33" waist

my shoulders and back dont fit into anything
Old 06-24-2009, 08:25 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

SuperAutobacs (now SuperAutoToyz) had a huge array of racing seats that you could sit in and 'try out'. i don't know if the seats are still there, they were a couple years ago.

for you sasquatches, alot of the racing seats are going to be hard to fit-, but nothing wrong with taking off the bottom seat cushion and running a thinner one...

+1 on the sparco wear... i need to re do my shoulder bolsters and side bolsters near the hips. those are the those wear areas.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:14 AM
USED

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
unless you're entering an FIA sanctioned race, having an FIA sanctioned seat is not going to do you much good
Yea...your right, but it instills that bit more confidence that the seat is FIA "approved". I still can't find the cobra suzuka anywhere near me. I'm prolly sticking with the ZETA III L's.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:16 AM
USED

Originally Posted by yusoslo
nice review, now try to find a racing seat for me.

6'1"
210lbs
33" waist

my shoulders and back dont fit into anything
Your gonna have to get an "XL" sized seat (ZETA III XL, Profi XL, Suzuka GT, EVO3) and use extra padding on the hips/lower bolsters to take up the extra space. Keep in mind when using wider seats, some customization of the rails will be necessary.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:23 AM
USED

Originally Posted by Chebosto
SuperAutobacs (now SuperAutoToyz) had a huge array of racing seats that you could sit in and 'try out'. i don't know if the seats are still there, they were a couple years ago.

for you sasquatches, alot of the racing seats are going to be hard to fit-, but nothing wrong with taking off the bottom seat cushion and running a thinner one...

+1 on the sparco wear... i need to re do my shoulder bolsters and side bolsters near the hips. those are the those wear areas.
Salesman at the Sparco place said Sparco doesn't make a thinner seat bottom, but they offered to have one made for me. They wanted $150 for a custom lower seat cushion, but he recommended no cushion at all. I didn't like either idea. I'd feel kinda stupid removing or replacing a cushion on a brand new seat when the possibility existed of finding one that fit proper from the gate. Plus the sample custom thinner bottom pad barely had any affect.

Your right though, a seat cushion change could help. It didn't in my case.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Crom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool - after sitting in a dump load of recaro buckets in japan I've narrowed it down to the spg xl, but still need to try out the sparco evo2 to compare....I'm 6-4, 215
Old 06-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^^
joe- just sit in my car next time i see you. i have the Evo 2.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Crom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chebosto
^^
joe- just sit in my car next time i see you. i have the Evo 2.
Awesome.....