Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting Interior Parts - Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Boogshag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Interior Parts - Help

Im working on a salvaged Z and have both black and tan interior plastic pieces (basically every interior part is plastic!) and am wondering if there is a paint code or specific interior paint for nissans that I could use to convert some of the tan pieces to black. I dont want a random two-tone interior, as it would look pretty silly! Any help would be appreciated!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:13 AM
lbz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric Flat black and it came out as a very good match for the vertical part of the center console.

For the door handles, was a little bit darker but still an overall good match. Hope that helps.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Boogshag

Originally Posted by lbz
I used Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric Flat black and it came out as a very good match for the vertical part of the center console.

For the door handles, was a little bit darker but still an overall good match. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the info! So did you sand down the pieces, use an adhesion promoter, then paint? Or what was your strategy?
Old 07-28-2009, 11:36 AM
lbz

Parts that had a texture, like the center console, I did not sand or use any prep. I did use a wet rag and some rubbing compound afterwards to smooth it out.

For the door handles and other non-textured pieces, I did some light sanding then used adhesion promoter from DupliColor.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Boogshag

Ok thanks a lot, im gonna check them out tonight. their e-store is under maintenance currently
Old 07-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't be this guy.

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/336575-all-interior-all-black-project-pics-inside.html
Old 07-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Guilty1s

Originally Posted by Boogshag
Ok thanks a lot, im gonna check them out tonight. their e-store is under maintenance currently
Dude... advance auto, auto zone, even maybe home depot and lowes
Old 07-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Boogshag

Originally Posted by Guilty1s
Dude... advance auto, auto zone, even maybe home depot and lowes
but im bored at work!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Boogshag

Originally Posted by Spork
hahaha thats great! it takes about 10 mins to strip all those plastic pieces out! what a re re
Old 07-28-2009, 11:59 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 413 Likes on 236 Posts

omg, i CANT BELIEVE THAT GUY DID THAT TO HIS CAR...

I painted some stuff in a previous car out of the car, fully disassembled, w adhesion promter and an HVLP gun, worked amazingly. completely durable too and was zero gloss. NAPA can always whip you up a perfect color math IF you cant find a premade product to do this with..sounds like a big process but it was suuuuper simple, and its not like you need a spray booth to do it.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Boogshag

Originally Posted by bmccann101
omg, i CANT BELIEVE THAT GUY DID THAT TO HIS CAR...

I painted some stuff in a previous car out of the car, fully disassembled, w adhesion promter and an HVLP gun, worked amazingly. completely durable too and was zero gloss. NAPA can always whip you up a perfect color math IF you cant find a premade product to do this with..sounds like a big process but it was suuuuper simple, and its not like you need a spray booth to do it.
Right! We paint even external body parts in our garage and park our cars down the street! Speaking of, when I get off work Im gonna finish buffing out my fenders. They just saw paint on sunday
Old 07-28-2009, 12:51 PM
red_magic2000

Why don't you check this out http://www.dip-tech.net/index.html I was looking at their gallery and they do some great work on car interiors. If you're not into the patterns I'm sure you can get work done in a solid color. YOu don't have to do the whole interior, but I definitly think this is worth it. I'm waiting on an email from these guys so I can strip my interior and send it to them. I'm planning on getting my center console done in carbon fiber look.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:34 AM
ZyoungBuck

I just painted my center console with Krylon Fusion for plastic. It needed no prep work and went on perfectly, and to top it off I put a nice clear coat on for extra protection. People ask me if it was a factory option. The only thing about this spray paint is they have limited colors, but I found one I wanted to use so it didn't even matter. I plan on painting various other parts of the interior now, just make sure you know what your doing (aka how to paint). Good Luck
Old 07-29-2009, 08:11 AM
Boogshag

Originally Posted by ZyoungBuck
I just painted my center console with Krylon Fusion for plastic. It needed no prep work and went on perfectly, and to top it off I put a nice clear coat on for extra protection. People ask me if it was a factory option. The only thing about this spray paint is they have limited colors, but I found one I wanted to use so it didn't even matter. I plan on painting various other parts of the interior now, just make sure you know what your doing (aka how to paint). Good Luck
definitely know how to paint! just finishing up the hood and fenders of the salvaged z im repairing. side skirts, front bumper, and a pillars completed.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:57 PM
DFW 350G

Originally Posted by Spork
....ah, this is back from the dead!

Yea, I knew quite a few people that have done this on other cars (including myself at one point ages ago), and it is NOT an understatement...Its gonna be 6 moths MINIMUM before you can ride in the car without getting a buzz.

In addition...if your gonna do it....go for the gold!!!!......