Sponsored by:

JP Type A Front Bumper HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 08:05 PM
always_wright
Addicted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JP Type A Front Bumper HELP

If anyone has installed one of these I have a few questions. I have looked for any other information about installing and can't find anything. I bought the front bumper used, fitment is 8/10, and no instructions.

So when I took the OEM bumper off I had to take quite a few plastic parts out that would brace the bumper (they were underneath/attached to the aluminum bar). I had to do this so it would fit. We also flipped the aluminum bar upside down so the tow hook is no longer functioning. We did fit the Styrofoam back on. Shouldn't there be some other way to "brace" the bumper? What did everyone else do?

Also, we messed up the undertray. It doesn't fit and my Dad said it didn't fit before he cut about 3 inches off, he said it was 3 inches short of reaching the holes. I'm not sure whether he thought the undertray should attach all the way to the FRONT underneath of the bumper, or back at the back where the holes were. Anyway, did everyone else keep the original undertray?

I would GLADLY appreciate any help on this situation. I have e-mailed JP asking for instructions, but no word yet. I'm having withdrawals from not driving my car, lol.

Last edited by always_wright; 08-22-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:33 AM
always_wright
Addicted

Out of 100 views nobody knows anything?
Dangit.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:27 AM
always_wright
Addicted

-sigh-
Old 08-24-2009, 07:55 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Post some pics of what you're referring to and we could possibly assist.

Sounds like you chopped too much off your undertray and will need to buy another, but we have have pics to confirm.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:59 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the tray reach any part of the bottom of the bumper?? Even if it doesnt reach the holes?
Old 08-26-2009, 05:48 AM
always_wright
Addicted

Yes, the tray does fit, however when it was on and I was driving the wind swept into it and would cause it to flap/rattle/get close to dragging the ground. Therefore, we took it off.

My Dad said it did not fit, that it was not long enough to reach the holes to the JP front bumper BEFORE he cut it. So he cut off the excess that did not reach (3-4 inches), which in turn caused a gap and the wind to go right through.

And no, it does not reach at all.

I know I need to buy another, and I know I chopped too much off. I just don't know whether a brand new STOCK undertray will even fit, so I was wondering if anyone else has the Type A front bumper and the stock undertray fit. I'm assuming it did because JP makes no note of needing to get a different one. However, my bumper did not come with instructions, so that may have been in the instructions?

And I can't take pics because I don't have a way to lift the car up, however I will be at my parents' house this weekend and we'll probably be doing some work. So I'll snap some pics of the cut undertray (not installed on the car now, so I can actually drive it faster than 30 mph).
Old 08-26-2009, 11:18 AM
415mm
Professional

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

if you buy the undertray for an 06 and up z it will fit better because it is bigger and longer up front than the ones in previous model z's 05 and less. i had the same problem with my old aerosync front and was getting by using zipties to connect my short 05 undertray to the bumper so i bought an undertray for an 06 z the newer style front bumper and it fit like a charm. hope that helps and it extended about an inch longer up front if your wondering.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:42 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or just drill new holes in the bottom of bumper where the new tray does line up to the jp.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:19 AM
PumpedVA

I had that problem with my ARC undertray there was about 5-6" between the bumper and tray. I went to Home depot and found some aluminum strips and cut them to reach between the bumper and tray. drill holes get some nuts and bolts and problem solved. No rattle or anything. When you buy a JP kit new they come with these brackets.

hope this helps