Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just arrived---> Catz 5700K Hid

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 07:10 PM
aychoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just arrived---> Catz 5700K Hid

Finally arrived!!! I was trying to decide between 5000k and 6000k. I personally think 6000k has too much purple color and loses the brightness. Did a little research and found that Catz make 5700k which is suppose to be blue-ish white and brighter than 6000k.

Also, Catz just released the Raiging Yellow hid bulb replacement. I might get that for fog lights. We'll see...

I'll post some pic once I have it installed.
Attached Thumbnails Just arrived---> Catz 5700K Hid-dsc00312.jpg  
Old 10-14-2003, 07:20 PM
xndsan

How much ?
Old 10-14-2003, 07:31 PM
aychoy

I paid $550 CDN. It took 10 days to ship it from Japan
Old 10-14-2003, 08:11 PM
iLLestJrz

What's the stock at? 4700k?
Old 10-14-2003, 08:48 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Default Re: Just arrived---> Catz 5700K Hid

Originally posted by aychoy
Finally arrived!!! I was trying to decide between 5000k and 6000k. I personally think 6000k has too much purple color and loses the brightness. Did a little research and found that Catz make 5700k which is suppose to be blue-ish white and brighter than 6000k.

Also, Catz just released the Raiging Yellow hid bulb replacement. I might get that for fog lights. We'll see...

I'll post some pic once I have it installed.

And so..............? What is the night-look? I am interested to see just how much of a difference and/or improvement a pair of $500.00 5700k's are over my $200 6000k's?

Old 10-14-2003, 10:02 PM
android123

Default Re: Re: Just arrived---> Catz 5700K Hid

o u got the 6000k? cool, how does it perform compare to stock HID? did u lose a lot of brightness? really want to know coz i m upgrading to HID( mine is base model).
thanks

Originally posted by TXSTYLE
And so..............? What is the night-look? I am interested to see just how much of a difference and/or improvement a pair of $500.00 5700k's are over my $200 6000k's?

Old 10-15-2003, 07:14 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Default Re: Re: Re: Just arrived---> Catz 5700K Hid

Originally posted by android123
o u got the 6000k? cool, how does it perform compare to stock HID? did u lose a lot of brightness? really want to know coz i m upgrading to HID( mine is base model).
thanks
As far as I personally can tell.....I did NOT lose brightness. Let's just say that the road is VERY well lit up IMO. I have been intending to do a direct side-by-side comparo w/ stock HIDS. I'll try and do that real soon. Without question, the COLOR is spectacular! Very European: Audi, Benz, etc.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:53 AM
twenzel

can someone list a good site to buy HID replacement bulbs. Its seems like its very difficult to find just the bulbs. Everyone wants to sell just the conversion kits.

I want 5700k - 6000k temp rating but you cant find them anywhere.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:20 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

right now the HId kits/bulbs are not legal fro sale in the US, so they are hard to come by a quality brand....
Old 10-15-2003, 09:20 AM
Z350Maniac

Originally posted by tonywenzel
can someone list a good site to buy HID replacement bulbs. Its seems like its very difficult to find just the bulbs. Everyone wants to sell just the conversion kits.

I want 5700k - 6000k temp rating but you cant find them anywhere.
Originally Posted by GTPprix,Oct 2 2003, 07:44 PM
Sales of ALL HID conversion kits were banned on August 15th 2003. Anyone selling or shipping these kits is liable for $5000 per offense. I'd be careful advertising stuff like this!
Originally Posted by GTPprix,Oct 4 2003, 01:08 AM
No, the NHTSA banned the sale and importation of ALL AFTERMARKET encapsulated conversion kits (IE the ones that replace your stock bulbs only) on the 15th of august, they were ALL labeled for off road use only anyhow, none of them met DOT approval. How you guys missed all the fuss about this is beyond me lol. Most manufacturers are being forced to have involuntary recalls, many of the big names such as APC and CATZ are complying, while others are getting fined out the *** lol (you wouldnt believe the $h!7 you read in SEMA newsletters) While the ban is long passed you can see some of its effects here. http://www.catz-usa.com/news_reviews.asp Just trying to keep you guys out of trouble, the NHTSA is cracking down on this harder then the RIAA on a 12 year old with 12 million MP3's! Keep in mind, this only applies to premade kits, not parts obviously you COULD make your own system, but its a pain in the ***.
taken from another forum, but I think this explains why yer not able to find the bulbs anywhere. It's unfortunate cause of all of those kids going out and buying the cheapy xenon bulbs that are blue and purple and effing up everyone's nighttime vision... hopefully this gets ratified.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:16 PM
twenzel

There has to be somewhere that I can buy new D2R blubs for my car! what if they go out?

Are you saying if my factory HID bulbs go out I have to pay to get my car converted to conventional bulbs!?

Last edited by twenzel; 10-15-2003 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-15-2003, 03:37 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no, if its osld from the factory it is fine, and you can get replacements from Nissan. I know our current suppliers won't even sell the components to us either.

Aftermarket kits are no longer legal for sale in the US though, due to a huge number of complaints
Old 10-15-2003, 04:36 PM
Z350Maniac

A way to get around this (although it will cost you like $40+ more) is to have someone in Canada buy it for you and then ship it to you at your expense. Living in MI like I do I sit like 30 minutes from Canada and it'd be no problem visiting a buddy of mine over there and having him get them and I pick them up. There's ALWAYS a loophole.

As to replacing OEM bulbs it's doable, but only through the dealer. It's the CONVERSIOn KITS and aftermarket (brighter) bulbs you can't get.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:50 AM
old_s13

Originally posted by Z350Maniac
taken from another forum, but I think this explains why yer not able to find the bulbs anywhere. It's unfortunate cause of all of those kids going out and buying the cheapy xenon bulbs that are blue and purple and effing up everyone's nighttime vision... hopefully this gets ratified.
1) HID retrofit kits which were designed with the intent to retrofit a halogen headlamp to HID have and always were illegal, the laws did not change -- the amount of enforcement did.

2) The reason NHTSA stepped in is probably not from low-grade racers driving around with blue bulbs. It is a mix of cars equipped with HID that already emit an annoying lighting pattern (there are several OEM vehicles that come to my mind), in addition to the MANY consumers who purchased these illegal retrofit kits and put them on their vehicles.

3) Just incase you guys didnt realize this, but when you change the factory D2R bulb to a D2S, you are actually messing with the lighting pattern. I've done some side-by-side comparisons, its NOT an upgrade.. I can tell you that much. The cutoff is way less focused and blotchy.

I believe most OEM D2x applications come with a 4300k kelvin rating. Anything above that obviously reduces light output. Having a light meter will help you realize this, just incase you have any doubts.

- Mike / ClearCorners.Com
Old 11-03-2003, 10:11 AM
peptidbond

Mike,

Thanks, that made sense. However, I have a question for you regarding the light output at higher temperatures. It has always been my understanding that the Kelvin rating has nothing to do with light output. Then again, this is coming for my graphic design background. The kelvin scale is intended to measure white point, not output. For example, a measure of 4300K would be closer to natural sunlight and have a greater red/orange component then 6000K. While they might differ as far was what wavelengths compose the final light, the output is not part of the measure. Output is typically measured by laymens in watts. As an example, 60 watts would put out less than 90 watts. Again, I know this is only the laymens measure as lumens is the most accurate.

At any rate, what I am getting at is how can you claim that a 6000K bulb puts out less light than a 4300K bulb if that measure is not one of output but rather temperature? I am not trying to flame you. I am really just curious.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:54 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wavelength

peptidbond

You are right, the K scale being discussed is color. (The color of light is often referred to as it's energy level. As light moves towards blue the photons have higher energy.

In other words, it takes MORE energy to release a blue photon than a red one.

Since ballasts and power supply have a fixed energy output (in watts) the bluer the light the fewer the photons. For the same number of watts you get fewer blue photons than you do red photons. The red photons are a bargain.

(This is sort of a simplification, but you get the idea. )

The WATTS refer to the input to the bulbs and are not always indicative of output. For example a 35 watt HID bulb is much brighter than a 55 watt halogen bulb.

this craze towards blue lights is really just another incident of "if some is good more is better".

When HID hit the scene it looked very white/blue compared to yellower tungsten and halogen bulbs. The HID lights are better/brighter so the bluish color got associated with high quality and brighter lights. (witness all the normal halogen bulbs dipped in blue dye that are being sold)

Before HID the fashion was towards yellow "fog/rain cutting" bulbs. How fickle fashion can be.

Originally posted by peptidbond
Mike,

Thanks, that made sense. However, I have a question for you regarding the light output at higher temperatures. It has always been my understanding that the Kelvin rating has nothing to do with light output. Then again, this is coming for my graphic design background. The kelvin scale is intended to measure white point, not output. For example, a measure of 4300K would be closer to natural sunlight and have a greater red/orange component then 6000K. While they might differ as far was what wavelengths compose the final light, the output is not part of the measure. Output is typically measured by laymens in watts. As an example, 60 watts would put out less than 90 watts. Again, I know this is only the laymens measure as lumens is the most accurate.

At any rate, what I am getting at is how can you claim that a 6000K bulb puts out less light than a 4300K bulb if that measure is not one of output but rather temperature? I am not trying to flame you. I am really just curious.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:50 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by tonywenzel
There has to be somewhere that I can buy new D2R blubs for my car! what if they go out?

Are you saying if my factory HID bulbs go out I have to pay to get my car converted to conventional bulbs!?

hid-online.com
They will have what you need
Old 11-06-2003, 09:51 AM
topdaytrader

http://www.motionr.com got everything you need
Old 11-06-2003, 10:47 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by topdaytrader
http://www.motionr.com got everything you need
Not to bad mouth, but the following claim, leads me to believe MotionR is not reputable
"Upgrade your current stock 4300K HID bulbs to 6000K (3500 Lumens)"

This is really funny as 4300K bulbs are brighter than 6000K and yet they are rated at 3200 Lumens where as your 6000K are 3500 lumens?

Tell me how that's possible -

Trust hid-online. they sell quality products
Old 11-06-2003, 03:35 PM
SizongZ

I'm curious to see how many people that currently have quality 6000k+ HID's think that 4500K HIDS are brighter????

I have upgraded my HIDS to 7000K and it's way brighter than stock 4k's. And yes I have done side by side comparisons.

Now please don't get the quality HID units with ballasts confused with those 75 dollar PIAA and Razo HID bulbs. They just give you the HID colors... but are not real HID's

Quick Reply: Just arrived---> Catz 5700K Hid