Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions: What is the best carbon fiber dash kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 10:08 PM
THH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions: What is the best carbon fiber dash kit?

I am currently looking at several Carbon Fiber Dash Kits. After searching the threads and getting ideas, it seems there are a lot of varied options.

For those that have this set up, who did you use and why? Were you satisfied with the product? I have been consdering the RSW (If I can find a place that sells it) and the EVO-R. Plese share any rave reviews or horror stories.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2009, 02:05 AM
NismoZR

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IF you can afford it the best one would be Apsis carbon fiber, here is the link http://www.apsisusa.com/Lamination%2...ashesindex.htm. They do mostly for Corvette and high end cars as well I went to their shop they show me all the 6 pieces for the z , they look really good quality. $1500 for all 6 pieces. These are not overlay you have to send them your original core pieces. The RSW is my second choice here is the link http://www.visionaryracing.com/store...&productId=194. Good luck.

Last edited by NismoZR; 11-04-2009 at 02:08 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:20 AM
jadaniya
Banned

I have both rsw and evo-r. The rsw is nicer - the weave is more consistent, clear coat is flawless and even throughout, and the back is plastic. The evo- r in comparison - weave can be great or totally jacked up... I'd suggest you get e-mailed pictures of the exact kit you are ordering b/c they will vary from piece to piece. The clear coat was a little on the shabby side. Some major gouges and run off in some parts... I bought a spray can of clear and fixed this on my own - actually looks more shiney this way so I like the outcome. The back is not plastic, just the backside of the very thin overlay. The advantage of the evo-r is price of course, but also how thin the pieces are. The thin pieces look more form fitting to the dash. If you can get a set with good weave and a nice clear coat the evo-r is great... at the very least get a nice weave and have someone clear it for you. For the money and the thinness of the pieces I like evo-r a little better.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:59 AM
THH

Thanks everyone. It's one thing to look at pictures and read "Testimonials" from the sellers site, but an informed opinion from an owne is the best information. I have been consdering the EVO-R the most so far. That's good advice to get pics of the exact set being purchased first. I am a little concened about the fit of the pieces. Nothing too large and as close to the original dash as possible. That Apsis set looks the best by far, but I can't see spending that kind of money nor do I have the time to ship the dash off and wait to have it done (I live overseas and only visit the US twice a year). On the same note, I don't want a cheap piece of junk, so I can spend a fair amount on a set.

I wonder why nobody has had the idea to produce pieces in the 350Z car color? I bet that would sell really well. I don't trust my own abilities enough to paint the dash myself.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:14 AM
ChrisNelson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased the EVO-R kit a few months ago and had to send it back because one piece was broken and the shifter surround fit like garbage. It was almost like it was made by eyeballing how the piece should look.

Name:  P1010756.jpg
Views: 2888
Size:  34.0 KB

Name:  P1010757.jpg
Views: 2883
Size:  28.7 KB

Name:  P1010742.jpg
Views: 5473
Size:  47.3 KB

I think EVO-R should stop selling this kit until they rework it a little bit to be a better product. I have used some of their other products and I liked them a lot. I plan on buying from them in the future, but this product was very subpar.

I say go with an ASPIS kit if you can find one. They are worth the cash, or have someone wrap your dash in carbon fiber for that look.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:21 AM
THH

Wow. I can see what you mean from the pictures. That is pretty sub par. I just finished reading the thread about their 06-08 kit and was pretty much sold on it. Those pics really make me reconsider getting the EVO-R kit.

Were you at least refunded your money or exchanged for a new one? I have yet to buy anything from EVO-R and have been going on the positive reviews. I would get the Apsis set up, but I can't really justify spending that kind of money for that. To be honest, the EVO-R kit is about the limit I'm willing to go.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Robs_350Z

Apsis is also on my eventual list of mods to do, right after the amuse kit which is next. Bottom line, I'm justifying the money with myself because I know if there's any imperfection with an overlay I'm going to have to look at it everytime I drive the car. Kind of like walking up to your car and seeing a big dent someone left you. I've seen some pretty bad overlay kits at shows. But then again, a lot of people out there just aren't that particular to the little flaws, or big flaws (EVO-R)
Old 11-04-2009, 11:07 AM
MaRbLe

RSW is what Im running now. I had ordered the EVO-R kit, very bad fit and condition with the equally bad service to go along with it....
Old 11-04-2009, 03:09 PM
RoTors350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sent pieces to APSIS. Been waiting a hell of a long time but today they informed me that it is being shipped tomorrow and is on it's way.

If you can wait a few days I'll post some pics of the pieces upon arrival and after install.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the door arm rest covers and the rear strut bar pieces from EVO-R. The rear strut piece fitment is nearly flawless, but the door pieces are not as good, I'd say 8/10.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:35 PM
ChrisNelson

Originally Posted by THH
Wow. I can see what you mean from the pictures. That is pretty sub par. I just finished reading the thread about their 06-08 kit and was pretty much sold on it. Those pics really make me reconsider getting the EVO-R kit.

Were you at least refunded your money or exchanged for a new one? I have yet to buy anything from EVO-R and have been going on the positive reviews. I would get the Apsis set up, but I can't really justify spending that kind of money for that. To be honest, the EVO-R kit is about the limit I'm willing to go.

Yes I was refunded the money. They were very easy to work with and willing to help me out, but I did have to ship the kit back to Taiwan and then I had to file a suite to actually get the money. They didn't actually do the refund until I pushed pretty hard.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:22 PM
mD2MHK

Originally Posted by RoTors350Z
I sent pieces to APSIS. Been waiting a hell of a long time but today they informed me that it is being shipped tomorrow and is on it's way.

If you can wait a few days I'll post some pics of the pieces upon arrival and after install.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:38 AM
jsameshima

So does everyone think the best dash kits out there is APSIS? How does it compare to RSW?
Old 11-09-2015, 11:38 AM
Apestabrook

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by NismoZR
IF you can afford it the best one would be Apsis carbon fiber, here is the link http://www.apsisusa.com/Lamination%2...ashesindex.htm. They do mostly for Corvette and high end cars as well I went to their shop they show me all the 6 pieces for the z , they look really good quality. $1500 for all 6 pieces. These are not overlay you have to send them your original core pieces. The RSW is my second choice here is the link http://www.visionaryracing.com/store...&productId=194. Good luck.

My apologies for replying to an old thread, but i felt the need to correct this post based off reviews ive read all over the place about this Apsis place. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES SEND ANYTHING TO THESE GUYS. read the following link.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/apsis-usa-in...ington-station
The following users liked this post:
Depravity (11-09-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 01:10 PM
Depravity

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Apestabrook
My apologies for replying to an old thread, but i felt the need to correct this post based off reviews ive read all over the place about this Apsis place. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES SEND ANYTHING TO THESE GUYS. read the following link.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/apsis-usa-in...ington-station
Always a good idea to research before buying, thanks for sharing!
Old 04-28-2016, 09:20 AM
hallofmars

I'm more confused than ever. Has anyone found a quality carbon fiber cover for their Z? am I better off having the console upholstered or sanded and painted?
Old 08-04-2016, 09:12 PM
BlueSQ

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I actually work next to a machinist who specializes in injection molded performance carbon fiber parts. He's a damn artist with carbon weave, you'd think the carbon was an inch thick looking down at it. I thought giving him the dash to wrap would be a no-brainer but he did not recommend it. Said there's too many tight angles and edges to do a proper job, much less a decent clear coat. Molding the part would be out of the question if it's not going to production. He recommended the 3m wrap or plasti-dip. This is a real expense/reward/skill compromise, I'll probably go the 3m + hobby knife route and try to get it as close to stock as possible.

I'll say this though, watching my neighbor work on carbon parts gave me a real appreciation for the work. I can't justify the expense but I understand the price. I remember he once cut a set of finished racing valve covers in half cause the weave was scrunched in one spot.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:20 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

You couldn't be more wrong:

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...r-element.html
Old 11-28-2023, 11:09 AM
TheRealLoner1

do you have to email them or call them about the pricing for the apsis carbon fiber ?
Old 11-28-2023, 07:14 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRealLoner1
do you have to email them or call them about the pricing for the apsis carbon fiber ?
LMGTFY: https://apsisusa.com/products/

They don't do Zs. Only Benz and @travlee cars (Cawvetts). And boy, those reviews.... Ehhh.

Last edited by MicVelo; 11-28-2023 at 07:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Opinions: What is the best carbon fiber dash kit?