Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

What do you think of this grill?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003 | 05:33 PM
CAR2

Default What do you think of this grill?

I've always thought the Z grill was a little bland - the Maserati grill looks pretty good - is there anything after market similar for the Z?
Attached Thumbnails What do you think of this grill?-maserati.jpg  
Old 10-16-2003 | 05:34 PM
BJF2K

nope
Old 10-16-2003 | 05:49 PM
bz8

PEACE!!
Old 10-16-2003 | 06:01 PM
JimH

Default Re: What do you think of this grill?

Yes, even tho my pic doesn't do my grille justice, it is a beautiful addition. It is not one of the many "strap on" type of grilles that go in front of the original grille. The stock grille must be removed and this one bolted in its place. Talk to Joe here: joegoulette@westvalleynissan.com for details.
Tell him Jim sent you and that you are a part of this group. Regards, Jim
Originally posted by CAR2
I've always thought the Z grill was a little bland - the Maserati grill looks pretty good - is there anything after market similar for the Z?
Attached Thumbnails What do you think of this grill?-driveway-full-smallb.jpg  
Old 10-16-2003 | 06:33 PM
little_rod

Hmm, Jim I like that grill. All the ones on the market seem to just cover the factory one. Since that one is a true replacement grill, it is a much better choice. At the top of that grill, on the left of the top cross-member appears to stick out further than the rest of them. Is that true?? Also, on the stock grill, the outsides of the grill are actually closed to intake air. I assume this grill opens that area up, does it??

BTW, go some bright reflections on that car, Jim, what are you using on the paint?? I could guess, but I would probably be wrong, lol.

Last edited by little_rod; 10-16-2003 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-16-2003 | 07:27 PM
CAR2

Yes thats sort of what I had in mind. I was also looking at a ss mesh like the Jags have - have to get it custom made.
Old 10-16-2003 | 08:16 PM
JimH

Default Grille

Originally posted by little_rod
Hmm, Jim I like that grill. All the ones on the market seem to just cover the factory one. Since that one is a true replacement grill, it is a much better choice. At the top of that grill, on the left of the top cross-member appears to stick out further than the rest of them. Is that true?? Also, on the stock grill, the outsides of the grill are actually closed to intake air. I assume this grill opens that area up, does it??

BTW, go some bright reflections on that car, Jim, what are you using on the paint?? I could guess, but I would probably be wrong, lol.
Here is a more direct shot. The upper grille bar does not stick out, but is simply slightly shorter because of the curvature of the grille opening that it must fit into.
Yes, I think they opened up that area when they removed the stock grill, but I can't honestly remember. I will look tomorrow. Regards, Jim
Attached Thumbnails What do you think of this grill?-p9255101small.jpg  
Old 10-17-2003 | 07:38 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

what about the tow hook ?
Old 10-17-2003 | 08:19 AM
bobS

I'm not a big fan of the grill but to each his own.......i like how it fills it in a little better so u can't see behind the grill...but a little to flashy for my taste
Old 10-17-2003 | 11:26 AM
JimH

Default Tow hook

Originally posted by 35ounces
what about the tow hook ?
They make a version that has a cutout for the towhook access, but I didn't like it. I have over 41,000 miles on my Z and haven't reached for the towhook yet! If needed, I can remove the grille in less than 5 min. The towhook is only used to extract a Z that may be stuck in mud/snow, etc. We have neither out here in Arizona! Regards, Jim
Old 10-17-2003 | 12:23 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

Jim, your car looks real nice (ar those HRE's ?). I like the grill and a 5 minute extraction isnt bad - how does it connect ?

The grill seems to fill a lot of space in the front though.
Does it restrict air flow at all ?
Do they have pics of the one with the tow hook cutout ?
Old 10-17-2003 | 12:35 PM
fresno350

i thought the tow hook had to be used if you get towed???? we have to get flatbed towing and that is what they tie the cable to. maybe im wrong
Old 10-17-2003 | 01:53 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

thats correct fresno
Old 10-17-2003 | 02:07 PM
JimH

Default Grille

Originally posted by 35ounces
Jim, your car looks real nice (ar those HRE's ?). I like the grill and a 5 minute extraction isnt bad - how does it connect ?

The grill seems to fill a lot of space in the front though.
Does it restrict air flow at all ?
Do they have pics of the one with the tow hook cutout ?
No, it doesn't restrict air flow to any degree and no change in temp readings. Remember, I am in Arizona and we really push a cars cooling system to the edge out here!
Take a look at this pic. When the grille is in full sunlight with the door edging on it, it is all but impossible to know it is there. I opted for the full grill because I was having trouble keeping the edging on. Regards, Jim
Attached Thumbnails What do you think of this grill?-tow-access.jpg  
Old 10-19-2003 | 10:35 PM
little_rod

Default Re: Grille

Originally posted by JimH
No, it doesn't restrict air flow to any degree and no change in temp readings. Remember, I am in Arizona and we really push a cars cooling system to the edge out here!
Man, Jim, just wondering, did you check the temps before and after the grill?? If so, much props.
Old 10-19-2003 | 11:20 PM
JimH

Default Re: Re: Grille

Originally posted by little_rod
Man, Jim, just wondering, did you check the temps before and after the grill?? If so, much props.
I just went back and read my own post that showed the grille w/open section for tow hook and it could be confusing.
There are two grilles available. One has the opening for the tow hook. I initially bought that one. When I realized that I didn't like the opening, I put a couple of small pieces of chrome door edging in the opening to make it appear as tho the chrome grille bars went all the way across w/o any opening in the grille. Even tho it looked okay and you could only see the added strips upon close inspection, I didn't like it because the strips were working loose every few days.
I then bought the grille with no opening for the tow hook and that is the one I now have. BTW, the camera won't resolve close (bright) horizontal lines well enough to show the true separation of the grill bars, but they are more widely spaced then the photographs are able to render them here. This is the full grill I now have, see here: Regards, Jim
Attached Thumbnails What do you think of this grill?-small-grille.jpg  
Old 10-24-2003 | 02:03 PM
Randall Patters

Hey Jim I followed your lead and I love that grille and the shipping was fast!!!
Attached Thumbnails What do you think of this grill?-im000391.jpg  
Old 10-24-2003 | 02:35 PM
JimH

Randall, Good job! It looks sweet in/on the DB. Regards, Jim