Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

DTM Autobody: 2nd chances...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010 | 08:42 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Updates.. Robert pmd me...the kit had been picked up end of last week, is being prepped now and the 1x1 weave carbon to match the veilside hood is ordered. Pics of the hood and weave direction etc were received, all good to go.

Hopefully it can get nipped up and shipped this week, but I feel early next week will prob be more reasonable. i had asked if they can hold up some pieces to a customer car etc to see if its going to be a decent fit before shipping as well.

Anyways, all good so far.
Old 06-07-2010 | 10:11 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Default updates

Updates, Rob pm'd me last week, advised it may be ready to ship out today, Monday June 7th. I wont hold him to that as that would just be money if they could get into the shop on a Monday ( assuming its totally done already) after a hot weekend and get it all packed up and down to who ever is shipping it.. its a bigger pain than it seems usually, so Id assume at least sometime this week.

ANyways, emailed him to see if I can a few pics of the kit before it ships out.

So far, a damn good run of things.

Everythings going very smoothly.
Old 06-07-2010 | 11:49 AM
vex008

good stuff bmccann
glad to see a thread go up like this.
all the bad press they got made me go elsewhere for a kit. interested to see how things turn out incase I get tired of my kit and want a change in the future.
Old 06-07-2010 | 12:20 PM
calin
Banned

I got my bodykit painted by DTM. The only reason I went with them is because I've seen a few of their paint jobs on other Z's and they came out pretty much perfect. I'm somewhat of a perfectionist so I really wanted the job done right. Even though they do excellent quality work, I'm not too happy with their customer service or pricing. I was offered a really good deal by them through PM's on the forum. Then once I went in to get painted, I was quoted about $4-500 more than I was on the forum. I told David that that's not what I was quoted on the forum and he wouldn't tell me who the person was that PM'd me with that price and said that he has no idea why I was quoted that. I talked him down on the price some, but I still didn't get as low as I was originally promised. If you're a perfectionist and don't mind paying a little more, then go to DTM. Otherwise, just go somewhere else and save yourself a few hundred bucks
Old 06-08-2010 | 08:43 PM
OMERTAITALIA

raised the price on what?, im about to get my kit from them and im debating getting it painted there.
Old 06-08-2010 | 08:48 PM
calin
Banned

Originally Posted by OMERTAITALIA
raised the price on what?, im about to get my kit from them and im debating getting it painted there.
On the paint job. I was quoted a price on the forum for paint, then when I went in it was higher.
Old 06-10-2010 | 07:09 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Default snag..

Well I did hit a snag here. Hopefully it is being fixed well.

The carbon area we had discussed is different.. only the top of the nose was done. I can live w that tho.

The down side is (afterseeing camera ph pictures) that is was ROUGH.. like really rough.

Im worried that the carbon overlay I recvd on my last kit from them way not have been done by them.. it may have come that way from VIS. It was obviously vacuum bagged and the shots I saw of my new kit are definitley NOT vacuum bagged.. it was like rough resin w a coat of clear over it..

So I politley refused the current condition via email as they were prepared to ship it to me in said condition.. ???

I just emailed Rob about the status again.. supposedly it is being blocked down to smooth and re cleared.. and was to take an extra week.

We shal see. If it comes shipped looking like *** Ill just have to ask for a credit of the 200 I paid for the carbon, sand it down, and paint right over it.

Hopefully this will all turn out good... I really wasnt prepared for his hitch, but hey, thats what the thread is for.
Old 06-10-2010 | 07:13 AM
Entaille

Originally Posted by calin
I got my bodykit painted by DTM. The only reason I went with them is because I've seen a few of their paint jobs on other Z's and they came out pretty much perfect. I'm somewhat of a perfectionist so I really wanted the job done right. Even though they do excellent quality work, I'm not too happy with their customer service or pricing. I was offered a really good deal by them through PM's on the forum. Then once I went in to get painted, I was quoted about $4-500 more than I was on the forum. I told David that that's not what I was quoted on the forum and he wouldn't tell me who the person was that PM'd me with that price and said that he has no idea why I was quoted that. I talked him down on the price some, but I still didn't get as low as I was originally promised. If you're a perfectionist and don't mind paying a little more, then go to DTM. Otherwise, just go somewhere else and save yourself a few hundred bucks
bait and switch
Old 06-10-2010 | 09:09 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Default bait n switch

in my case i dont think it was much of a bait n switch, more like two ppl trying to figure out stuff over email w no real pictures etc.

Im good with it, and been talking to robert all day actually.... they did it over and the clear is supposedly setting now. All is well in the land, and they will send pics before it ships again.

and just to chime in about paint etc...

The last kit ( existing kit thats on the car now..see my garage photos) I got from them was sent to me painted... I paid like 1100 bucks for the whole thing...including paint AND shipping... it was unreal cheap.. and the paint work lasted a long time, and it took some severe beating of the front end for a year to get spider cracks oin the clear... and the match of the silverstaone paint was DEAD on.

I would assume the price I paid is unrealistic low... and prob would not have occurred if management etc had looked into it, so i think i just lucked out.
Old 06-18-2010 | 08:04 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Default sweet!!

Updates,

I asked Robert for tracking numbers late the night before last, and they got them to me yesterday... I called the driver delivery service and they had just opened, so she said she was going to call me back... 45 min later a driver called and said hge wa 45 min from my house.... Wha? Sweet!
I came home to find a refrigerator sized box on a palette in my garage.. ( apt office opened it for them, cool stuff).

It took me literally 45 min to unpack it... solid solid solid packing.

I was super stoked to find that the kit is thin, has razor sharp edges, a fantastic primered finish that really needs EXTREMELY LITTLE body work to prep, and has all the separate pieces of the original VS kit! The rear has removable pieces for under the exhasut, so Im going to get these laid in carbon now as well. The fiberglass of the kit is flexible yet strong, and the overall curvature of molded parts is slight to none. I doubt I will have to use more than a DA sander on this kit.. and there doesnt appear to be any flash areas that would even need a Dremel tool. Crazy. Much better than the kit thats on my car now in fact.

Also, my carbon fiber on the nose came out great, the weave was tight and has very little wiggle to the weave pattern, it came out smooth, and the edges are well finished and smoothed out, and blend right into the primered areas. The gas door is a full replacement and is a bit heavy and thick.. Im curious as to how it will wind up working out.... I see why people somtimes dont install the fender matchng gas door, but I think its a good idea.. we shal see.

THE ONLY DOWN SIDE:
the holes are not drilled like my last kit
. This will add considreably to the install time as drill templates will have to made w blue tape and cardstock. This is tedious work and if done wrong makes a kit line up like ***.

Bottom line is that the only benefit I can imagine original VS has to this kit is the holes being predrilled. I will gladly drill the holes for people's VIS kits for the extra 2200 dollars of difference between the two kits.

Happy guy, and I will post final install pics when Im done, but it will likely be a few months before that happens.

• Bottom line is:
  • the kit is a phenomenal value
  • Roberts communication was spot on even in the off work hours.
  • The tracking number was given immediately when shipment was prepared.
  • Packing was super solid.
  • Shipping to AZ was super fast.
  • The carbon work was great.
  • cant imagine it going any smoother elsewhere, so feel confident sending your business to DTM thru Robert anytime.
Old 06-18-2010 | 08:20 AM
Entaille

I was referring to Calin's scenario where the price jumped considerably and they wouldn't honor the original quote.

sounds like your deal went well : )
Old 06-18-2010 | 10:20 PM
itSs.bObO

cant wait for the pics
Old 06-28-2010 | 03:07 PM
DRIFTENVY

any new updates??? bump!!! interested in status cause may be dealing with dtm soon.
Old 06-30-2010 | 09:37 AM
DaProdigy

David has done everything in his power to make sure my car is properly taken care of so far. waiting to get pics of the progress sometime this week. They had my replacement rear bumper within 48 hrs the only set back ive had with them is my Volk coming from japan and the time it takes. which is completely out of their control. David is the man Manny is also legit. and Monica makes sure all communication standards are met if they arent available at the time you call.
Old 06-30-2010 | 09:52 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Default yup.

So new updates, sold my existing kit yesterday.. rolling hill billy style w zip tied turn signals and no kit installed at all right now.

I will be taking the car down to Intense after I get back from Newport/Huntington this weekend for 4th of July silliness... they are cutting and re-riveting my rear fenders and hopefully installing my seibon carbon door panels.

What ive noticed so far is that the kit isnt exactly perfect, but will surely fit the car and my purposes. The rear over fender "vents" are a bit smaller than the rear skirts, so there will be an overlapping edge when installed ( im leaving it.. no re-bodywork).. and the fr overfenders have a slight curve to them, but look dimensionally legit. Once they are screwed down, im sure itl be fine.

Also, the kit is not pre drilled like the last, so Ive used some blue tape to transfer the hole patterns over.... this kits tabs are a bit small.. so it may be a bit of a drag to line it up etc.. but still, all within reason.

Also, I will start pre fitting the kit in the next 2 weeks. It will be pulled a few times to make sure its on there good and sanded up right etc.. then the vinyl wrap will start.. I hope to have it done in time to take it out to Main on Huntington within the near future this summer.
Old 07-06-2010 | 03:26 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

updates.. dropped the car off at Intense motorsports for them to cut and rebuild the rear fender sheet metal.... they are working them up the same way as their money green g35 Fortune widebody coupe...will lend to a nice finished product by not just cutting it and leaving it DIY style.

Again, I have to mention that this thread is over for the most part..Im keeping it going as people would like to see a finished product at some point, but the point is that :
DTM IS HONEST, QUICK TO RETURN CALLS/PM'S/ REASONABLY PRICED AND DID WHAT THEY SAID THEY WOULD..... SPEND AWAY AND ORDER UP YOUR KITS W NO WORRIES.

HEY ALSO DO ME A FAVOR, IF YOU READ THIS, MENTION IT IF YOU ORDER A KIT FROM THEM.. ID LIKE THEM TO KNOW THE SHOUT OUTS WERE BENEFICIAL.
Old 07-06-2010 | 05:51 PM
z33allme

Good to hear all is going well your second time around..
Old 07-26-2010 | 05:32 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

update..

I tried to wrap these pieces in 3m vinyl while they were unassembled etc.. what a nightmare... decided im not going to DIY this kit.. taking it back to Intense so they can do a decent mount up of the kit.. then Jimmy at AZVINYLOVERLAYS.COM will end up doing the wrap... I hope this thing turns out ok. Im concerned that this vinyl is too thin and fragile.. we shal see.
Old 07-31-2010 | 07:12 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Default im piiiiiiiiiiiissed.

updates:
front end doesnt even come close to fitting.. its warped across the entire piece..

rear end fits, barely

side skirts do not fit even remotely.

Fender flares do not line up to gas door at all.

Im in flames right now.

Will call dtm to establish refund.

I doubt they will do it, and I will ahve to file a claim w my cred card company.

This blows.. I just paid a shop to cut the fenders out of my car.
Old 07-31-2010 | 07:43 AM
PV350Z
Banned

Damn that sucks...

Quick Reply: DTM Autobody: 2nd chances...